TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
Well no, but as usual we have to deal with real people, not hypothetical characters. Hundreds of millions of people use social media, have smartphones, etc. And they're all connected. It's not hard for someone's tweets to be connected to a real person and address, and for some ****-face crusader to decide to cause trouble because they have, personally, labeled that person a bigot, irrespective of whether society at large agrees.
I don't think it's in society's interest to bend over backwards to try to protect stupid people from the consequences of their stupid actions. On the contrary, I think teaching people to consider what they publish globally is a good thing.
Similarily-stupid question: do you never tell anyone anything that might be interpreted as offensive to anyone who could hypothetically be made aware of it?
I don't publish everything I say, so I'm able to tailor my remarks to the audience I'm actually addressing. It's crazy easy to manage things that way. If I don't want Amy to know I think her wedding colors are tacky I just make sure not to say that to Amy or anybody who is likely to tell Amy what I said. I definitely don't publish it to the world and then act surprised when Amy hears it and uninvites me.
We're not talking about me, here, or about some hypothetical nonsense. We're talking about real people who have their lives torn apart because someone, somewhere, decided that their thought process was incorrect. Yeah, maybe they should be more careful about what they post, but that is irrelevant to the discussion.
It's not irrelevant to this discussion. If you worry your opinion will cause you problems, you can choose to not state it openly, or you can choose to publish and face the consequences. It is whining for special privilege to insist you can say whatever you want whenever you want to and also demand total immunity from consequences you won't welcome. Actions have consequences. It's even a thing in physics.