Belz...
Fiend God
I don't think it's logically necessary that the existence of differences requires binary-ness.
Which is why I didn't say that.
How do you go from "seems to reinforce" to "logically necessary"?
I don't think it's logically necessary that the existence of differences requires binary-ness.
Moreover, the actual debates of how people ought to be treated in society concern, in almost every case, people whose reproductive anatomy is clear and obvious.
First I believe they should all be unisex
Finally how can one enforce a prohibition of trans people using only their birth sex restrooms? Does one ask each person entering a public restroom to strip before a bathroom cop?
Yes, which is why bringing up intersex people is a red herring; a distraction.
Which is why I didn't say that.
How do you go from "seems to reinforce" to "logically necessary"?
That is one of the big problems with the discussion, actually. There's essentially no way to enforce either "segregated by sex" or "segregated by gender identity".
Well we are talking about relatively rare people if we are talking about sincere transsexuals.
This is a bit like asking a gay teenager how they can be so sure they're gay, when straight teenagers are never asked this question, and never have parents who tell each other that "it might just be a phase" when they bring home their first boy- or girlfriend of the opposite gender.
Everyone has a gender they identify as
Oh, okay, my bad. "Seems to reinforce" means "maybe it doesn't mean anything at all".
As far as the "feeling like X" thing goes, how does anybody know how it feels to be anything? We only have one lifetime in one body each. I'm a dude, but I have no way to separate my experience of existing in general from the specific feeling of being male. I haven't been a female so I have no idea what it feels like. For all I know, every female who has ever lived feels exactly like I do all the time. They wouldn't know, and neither would I.
Why can't you offer an honest response to what I said? Why must you find a way to misrepresent what I said? It was very clear, but somehow you both take issue with it AND you don't want to actually address it. Why respond at all, then?
I'm saying that the arguments given in favour of the "sex is a spectrum" idea actually end up supporting the opposite position. The fact that the arguments are contradictory should indicate that the idea is untenable.
Do you have an actual response to this?
Ask a trans person, maybe?
As far as the "feeling like X" thing goes, how does anybody know how it feels to be anything? We only have one lifetime in one body each. I'm a dude, but I have no way to separate my experience of existing in general from the specific feeling of being male. I haven't been a female so I have no idea what it feels like. For all I know, every female who has ever lived feels exactly like I do all the time. They wouldn't know, and neither would I.
We managed to give equal rights (finally!) to gay people without having figured out the complete origin story of homosexuality, its causes and manifestations and nature and aspects and theories. I don't know why people insist they have to "understand" transexuality before they can just be nice to the people who trans. It's rather creepy because it implies that, given a theory that sounds good enough, people would be fine with treating anybody badly just as fast as they can justify it.
Ask a trans person, maybe?
Can you talk about aspects of your existence that are particular to being male?
Oh, I don't care whether sex is a spectrum or not. I don't care what makes women women, why some people are X, or how many angels can dance on the head of a penis. I don't think any of that matters when the question is "how should we treat each other?" Kindly is the answer to that.
We managed to give equal rights (finally!) to gay people without having figured out the complete origin story of homosexuality, its causes and manifestations and nature and aspects and theories. I don't know why people insist they have to "understand" transexuality before they can just be nice to the people who trans. It's rather creepy because it implies that, given a theory that sounds good enough, people would be fine with treating anybody badly just as fast as they can justify it.
Because equal rights for homosexuality were (mostly) based on actions. Getting rid of anti-sodemy laws, legalizing gay marriage, getting through that stupid "Okay you can get marriage but you have to call it civil unions so my marriage is still special" stage, formalizing and codifying legal protection for homosexuals, etc.
It wasn't "You have literally categorize and think of gay people in certain terms regardless of how you treat them."
Again, right back at square one. I don't care if someone with a clam instead of a hotdog is in the bathroom stall next to me. But I don't don't care based on some completely internal "identity" that person has or doesn't have, I just don't care.