• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned before that "Why do Teump opponents call Trump supporters stupid? It only makes us more likely to vote for him"

is a common question on my quora feed.

Which supports my opinion of why I think they're stupid.

It's a reactionary "I'll show you!" "You say I'm stupid to cut off my nose to spite my face? Well, watch me cut off my nose! My face can't tell me what to do!
 
It's not going to survive, as the nation I grew up in, for even one more year. After Trump subverts the November elections it's all over.

I think the nation will survive Trump and his followers. The gun-toting idiots are big talkers, but as I said above, when faced with some lawmen with guns, most will back down. The ones who don't back down aren't capable of destroying this country. They are capable of terrorism, and I think we could see acts that end up killing innocent people. But as James Carville said, "It's the economy, stupid!" When people get hungry enough, they'll want steady jobs and a constant supply of food.

If I'm wrong, remind me of what I just wrote in November.
 
I think you know all about it.

You can't even come up with your own comeback?
What is the crime exactly that you’re accusing him of?” Rucker asked as a follow-up when Trump wouldn’t answer a question about what crime former President Barack Obama may have committed.

“You know what the crime is,” the president responded. “The crime is very obvious to everybody. All you have to do is read the newspapers, except yours.”
 
I mentioned an article in The New Yorker about the 'executive class' Republicans who solidly support trump. The article is sub-headlined: "To understand the President’s path to the 2020 election, look at what he has provided the country’s executive class." Link

In early 2016, Leora Levy, a prominent Republican fund-raiser in Connecticut who worked on Wall Street as a commodities trader, wrote a dismissive letter to a local newspaper about trump. “He is vulgar, ill-mannered and disparages those whom he cannot intimidate.” By February 2019 she was quoting him on Twitter.
leora levy @labbielady
AMERICA WILL NEVER BE A SOCIALIST COUNTRY!!! WE ARE BORN FREE AND WILL STAY FREE!!!
President Donald J. Trump February 5, 2019 Link

Last September trump nominated her to serve as ambassador to Chile.
 
Last edited:
Leora Levy belongs with all the other pre-election Never Trumpers who bent over and invited Trump to do it doggy style after he won.
 
A lot of us do think they're stupid and they are not unaware of that. They have to know that. If they don't they must live in a vacuum.

I'm sure Trump supporters know that lots of people think they're stupid. I doubt that they wonder why. I'm sure they have their pet hypotheses, but I doubt they sit around puzzling over these things.

And, I must say, it sounds odder that you keep writing "They wonder why *I* think they're stupid." I'm pretty darned sure they don't.
 
Yeah but when people knew they were wrong they used to be better at lying about it. They at least used to try to make their rationalizations at least a little plausible.

Now it is basically very rapidly turning into "Yeah I'm wrong, whatcha gonna do about it?"
 
Yeah but when people knew they were wrong they used to be better at lying about it. They at least used to try to make their rationalizations at least a little plausible.

Now it is basically very rapidly turning into "Yeah I'm wrong, whatcha gonna do about it?"

Or in the words of one of the luminaries from Trump’s new favorite “news” network:

Even when I’m wrong, I’m right.
 
I'm sure Trump supporters know that lots of people think they're stupid. I doubt that they wonder why. I'm sure they have their pet hypotheses, but I doubt they sit around puzzling over these things.

And, I must say, it sounds odder that you keep writing "They wonder why *I* think they're stupid." I'm pretty darned sure they don't.

I think you're being a bit pedantic here. Do I think they wonder who "I" am specifically? Of course not. I said "I" because I didn't want the inevitable "speak for yourself" that would predictably follow if I said "we".

Like I said, they don't live in a vacuum. They know a lot of Dems think they're stupid.
 
Leora Levy belongs with all the other pre-election Never Trumpers who bent over and invited Trump to do it doggy style after he won.

That may be but these are, like it or not, highly educated, very successful business people. Like the article I linked spells out: don't underestimate trump's supporters unless you want four more years of this whackjob. Not all of trump's supporters dress in combat fatigues and carry rifles. He has some very powerful, very wealthy people backing him -- hard though that may be to believe -- for the simple reason, they feel they will do better under trump than any Democrat out there. Unfortunately, we've reached a point -- like we're back in the Gilded Age of the 1890s -- where a lot of well-to-do people only care about what's in it for them. They could care less about the rest of us.
 
I think you're being a bit pedantic here. Do I think they wonder who "I" am specifically? Of course not. I said "I" because I didn't want the inevitable "speak for yourself" that would predictably follow if I said "we".

Like I said, they don't live in a vacuum. They know a lot of Dems think they're stupid.

Yes, they know that and they dismiss such opinions pretty readily. I don't think they wonder about why Democrats think they're stupid. Some of them think it's because Democrats are stupid. Some of them think that Democrats don't really think they're stupid at all; they call Trumpers stupid because they're upset that Trump is ruining the Dems' nefarious schemes.

Anyway, I guess my point wasn't about the silliness of whether or not Trumpers wonder why you think they're stupid. I guess I just shoulda said what was on my mind. It's not necessary to repeat this same line every time someone posts on a stupid Trumper.
 
They might not see themselves as "stupid" per se, but they see "intellectuals" as the enemy which sort of makes it a distinction without difference.

They see the fact that people who demonstrably and provably know more then they do about the topic in question disagree with them as a problem to be fixed. Call that what you will.
 
If this nation survives for another thousand years, Trump will still be regarded as the worst president ever.

You are underestimating the Republican political machinery's ability to produce bad policy. The Republicans are in a spiral where only way to win the nomination is to be worse than what preceded them. It may take an election cycle or two for Republicans to find someone worse than Trump, but make no mistake, they will do so.
 
That may be but these are, like it or not, highly educated, very successful business people. Like the article I linked spells out: don't underestimate trump's supporters unless you want four more years of this whackjob. Not all of trump's supporters dress in combat fatigues and carry rifles. He has some very powerful, very wealthy people backing him -- hard though that may be to believe -- for the simple reason, they feel they will do better under trump than any Democrat out there. Unfortunately, we've reached a point -- like we're back in the Gilded Age of the 1890s -- where a lot of well-to-do people only care about what's in it for them. They could care less about the rest of us.

I understand that the wealthy tend to support Trump for very selfish reasons. What they care about is keeping their wealth and getting more. Republicans favor the wealthy with tax cuts and less regulations and fewer 'entitlement' programs while Dems favor higher taxes for more social programs and more regulations to protect consumers and the general population. That is why so many wealthy are Republicans whether Trump is in the WH or not.

The other end of the GOP spectrum we've discussed before regarding authoritarianism, fear of 'others', evangelicalism, etc.
 
Last edited:
Yes, they know that and they dismiss such opinions pretty readily. I don't think they wonder about why Democrats think they're stupid. Some of them think it's because Democrats are stupid. Some of them think that Democrats don't really think they're stupid at all; they call Trumpers stupid because they're upset that Trump is ruining the Dems' nefarious schemes.

Anyway, I guess my point wasn't about the silliness of whether or not Trumpers wonder why you think they're stupid. I guess I just shoulda said what was on my mind. It's not necessary to repeat this same line every time someone posts on a stupid Trumper.

Yep...I think that was always your real point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom