• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The all-new "US Politics and coronavirus" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It's news that Trump can't answer tough, or even softball, questions. It shows that he's dishonest and that what he says should not be taken seriously.

You are probably right. I guess I don't consider it "news" because three years ago it was news. Now it's just something I already know about.

Still, it is conceivable that the President of the United States actually had something to say at his news conference, and I was curious what it was, but when I looked it up, all the stories were about him and the reporter.
 
Did you realise what you just said there? Speaking the truth is too dangerous around Trump. You are better off just shutting up and hoping for the best.
I wouldn't say "shut up." But I'd be careful about personal needling. Not in capitulation; in the interest of moving forward vs. trying to get Trump to own anything about his response, because that is freakin' futile.
 
Here's something I don't like about our press.

The big news that came out of the press conference is the fight with the reporters, and Trump walking out.

That's news. Sort of. It's interesting, but it's as much gossip as news. Did Trump actually say anything of substance before the Q&A portion? If he did, that's news. If he didn't, that's a different sort of news. Him getting into a stupid tiff with a reporter is also a different sort of news, but it really ought to be the secondary story. Other than the entertainment it provides to those of us who don't like Trump, it's really pretty meaningless.

Yes, something else did happen in that presser, but it's nothing really new. However, I find it more interesting and important than the "China" incident that is getting most of the attention.

“In one of your Mother’s Day tweets, you appeared to accuse President Obama of ‘the biggest political crime in American history, by far’ — those were your words. What crime exactly are you accusing President Obama of committing, and do you believe the Justice Department should prosecute him?” Rucker asked, during a news conference that was ostensibly about the coronavirus.

Trump had nothing.

“Uh, Obamagate. It’s been going on for a long time,” he began. “It’s been going on from before I even got elected, and it’s a disgrace that it happened, and if you look at what’s gone on, and if you look at now, all this information that’s being released — and from what I understand, that’s only the beginning — some terrible things happened, and it should never be allowed to happen in our country again.”
 
I wouldn't say "shut up." But I'd be careful about personal needling. Not in capitulation; in the interest of moving forward vs. trying to get Trump to own anything about his response, because that is freakin' futile.

Obama's remarks were said in a supposedly private phone call. He wasn't trying to get Trump to do anything.
 
He couldn't get more vague if he tried. It is pretty much conspiracy theory. Forwarded by POTUS. Great.
 
Obama's remarks were said in a supposedly private phone call. He wasn't trying to get Trump to do anything.
Obama knows better than to consider any phone call "private." I'm not saying he was wrong to say it, but he does know better than to believe it would not be disseminated.
 
These *public* and presumably 'official' accusations of crimes by Obama (and others) should have the Press and Congress relentlessly pressing Trump to substantiate. If found to be unfounded (a strange phrase, that), there should at the very least result censure. If not more. It sickens me when powerful people can so recklessly fling about such harmful vitriol without immediate consequence. That ain't politics. Or at least it shouldn't be, for that's just a Darwinian descent to an awful bottom.
 
Yes, something else did happen in that presser, but it's nothing really new. However, I find it more interesting and important than the "China" incident that is getting most of the attention.

Presumably, though, the President actually said something before any reporters asked questions. I was kind of curious what that might be.

ETA: I double checked at news.google.com and at CNN.com. No headlines about anything that Trump actually said or announced. The headlines were that Trump walked out on reporters. The closest thing to any coverage of Trump's actual announcements, if there were any, was one headline at CNN that says "GOP Governor Contradicts Trump on Testing", (quote is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate). Digging into it, there were a couple of things that Trump actually said.

I'm all for covering the Q&A, but just in case he had something worthwhile, or even something horrible, to say, I think that should at least get some mention in coverage.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't say "shut up." But I'd be careful about personal needling. Not in capitulation; in the interest of moving forward vs. trying to get Trump to own anything about his response, because that is freakin' futile.

It was a private conference call-so maybe Obama said it and maybe he didn't. And even if he did say it it's not against the law.
 
Presumably, though, the President actually said something before any reporters asked questions. I was kind of curious what that might be.

ETA: I double checked at news.google.com and at CNN.com. No headlines about anything that Trump actually said or announced. The headlines were that Trump walked out on reporters. The closest thing to any coverage of Trump's actual announcements, if there were any, was one headline at CNN that says "GOP Governor Contradicts Trump on Testing", (quote is from memory, so it might not be 100% accurate). Digging into it, there were a couple of things that Trump actually said.

I'm all for covering the Q&A, but just in case he had something worthwhile, or even something horrible, to say, I think that should at least get some mention in coverage.

Well, we finally got an answer to what is "Obamagate".

Trump refuses to say what crime he is accusing Obama of committing
 
Here's something I don't like about our press.

The big news that came out of the press conference is the fight with the reporters, and Trump walking out.

That's news. Sort of. It's interesting, but it's as much gossip as news. Did Trump actually say anything of substance before the Q&A portion? If he did, that's news. If he didn't, that's a different sort of news. Him getting into a stupid tiff with a reporter is also a different sort of news, but it really ought to be the secondary story. Other than the entertainment it provides to those of us who don't like Trump, it's really pretty meaningless.
No it is not gossip. No Trump said nothing of substance before the tantrum.

It's news. Just because the news media treats it as 'gossip' doesn't make it any less important.

What the news is the media fails to report is what a failure this POTUS is and here is yet another example.

They pussyfoot around the truth. He's going to be Presidential any day now. They mustn't report the obvious because they don't know what to say about it.
 
Last edited:
You are probably right. I guess I don't consider it "news" because three years ago it was news. Now it's just something I already know about.

Still, it is conceivable that the President of the United States actually had something to say at his news conference, and I was curious what it was, but when I looked it up, all the stories were about him and the reporter.

When did the mainstream media actually ever decently report on what an incompetent toddler we have as POTUS?

Why aren't they reporting how Trump's incompetence is costing lives?

Yeah, you and I know he's a toddler. But he's the ******* POTUS! Why should this kind of incompetence stop being news because it's boring?
 
So, I saw this from an article on Microsoft News.

article about press conference said:
\Giroir stepped in and said that with the country's current testing capacity, anybody who "needs" a test is able to get one. He specified that those with respiratory illness symptoms or who are being contact traced can get tests.
"That's over 3 million tests per week. That is sufficient for everyone who needs a test, symptomatic, contact tracing, and to out best projections, the asymptomatic kind of surveillance to get that, and that's the way it is," he said.

That's a big deal, if correct. And the fact that it isn't Trump saying it makes it a bit more credible.

If we can test everyone symptomatic, and all of their known contacts, and have some left over for population sampling, that's really big news. Bigger even than Trump getting into a fight with a reporter.

So the next question is is it true?
 
Yes, something else did happen in that presser, but it's nothing really new. However, I find it more interesting and important than the "China" incident that is getting most of the attention.

That's another lie the news media is not holding Trump accountable for. That one and his continuing to repeat the lie that his ban of some China travelers at the beginning of the outbreak saved hundreds of thousands of lives.

Both of those are lies the press is giving Trump a pass on and addressing only later if some fact-checking happens to address the bull **** yet again.

The press should stop him from repeating those same lies over and over. Not correct the lie in side stories later. CALL OUT THOSE LIES WHENEVER AND AS OFTEN AS TRUMP REPEATS THEM.

That's what the press should be reporting! It's not gossip.
 
Last edited:
Obama knows better than to consider any phone call "private." I'm not saying he was wrong to say it, but he does know better than to believe it would not be disseminated.

But you did say you wish he hadn't said it which is a criticism of him saying it.

After all the crap Trump publicly spouts daily about Obama and Obama gets criticized for saying Trump's handling of the virus here was "chaotic"? FCSake, Trump is describing Obama as 'treasonous'. UH uh....not gonna fly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom