Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 15, 2011
- Messages
- 12,901
I wonder if there's a way to tease out how many new cases are showing up due solely to increased testing. One problem is we don't have a good baseline for two months ago, when it seemed hardly anyone was being tested. The percentage of "hidden" or "silent" cases may already have been high but we just didn't know it. Someday maybe we'll have good info on how many people have developed the disease after being on, say, 90 percent lockdown for a period of time. Locking down a bunch of people who are already contagious has its limits. I've had no direct physical contact with people from off-campus for probably a month, but the groceries are brought in by staffers or volunteers who are not locked down on campus. As far as I know there have only been 2 cases here, though a disused building is being prepared solely to house people who have tested positive for the disease.This is an interesting article. By the way, no where in the article does it state Governor Doug Ducey "ignored science" as was claimed. It does report:
This is from a Fox News Phoenix report:
I don't see a downward trajectory.
I've noticed people in the dog park tend to let their masks slip when they're sitting six feet apart. Also, residents drag chairs all over the (very small) park to take advantage of wherever the shade is at a given hour. Some ladies were handing their phones back and forth to show pictures or funny FB posts or similar trivia. I wear the mask when I do laps around the park, but when no one else is around I tend to pull it off at least my nose because I start to feel like I'm suffocating. The on-campus nursing home has allowed no visitors for at least 2 months which means couples are separated from each other in what may be an end-of-life limbo unless visits are allowed in a "clean room" with the understanding that just about anyone could be contagious and at some point we'll have to take our chances.
I'm not saying things should open prematurely, but the people here, mostly at least 15 years older than me, are running out of patience. And this is a Congregationalist campus, meaning many people are affiliated with a very liberal Christian tradition that values keeping things contained for the good of the herd. IOW, very few Trump supporters. But I reckon quite a few people in their 80s or 90s don't want to end their lives cloistered and would take their chances if they could contain any damage to only themselves.