• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always referred to him as just "Trump" in posts here and in conversation. I resolved that I would only use the word "President" in combination with his name when he began acting in a manner appropriate to the position. I'm still waiting.
You'll need to keep waiting-
Trump Tweets

Well run States should not be bailing out poorly run States, using CoronaVirus as the excuse! The elimination of Sanctuary Cities, Payroll Taxes, and perhaps Capital Gains Taxes, must be put on the table. Also lawsuit indemnification & business deductions for restaurants & ent.
(He also said something today about not admitting DC as a state, because that would mean more Democrats in Congress. Can't have that- they're not on his team)

To the question of whether people should think of Trump as the President of all Americans- speaking just for myself, I'll think of him that way when he starts acting like he's President of all Americans, and not just of the fan club who give him favorable "reviews" and high ratings for what he treats as an ongoing, nationwide reality-TV show.
 
Uh oh. SC Justice Ginsburg is in the hospital with a gall bladder infection.

I bet Trump is peeing his pants in excitement.
 
Last edited:
Trump Retweeted

Team Trump (Text TRUMP to 88022)
@TeamTrump
Owners of Sammy’s Mexican Restaurant to President @realDonaldTrump: Latinos are going to vote for you because you’re doing a very good job!

Man, if the owners of Sammy's Mexican (MEXICAN!) Restaurant don't know who Latinos will vote for, who does?

This is way more significant than fake news polls.
 
And nothing. There is plenty to be outraged about without a Trump retweet of himself.

But it's the fact that he retweeted it that I find remarkable.

I know he retweets all sort of asinine stuff, but today someone reminded him it was Cinco de Mayo and this is a good chance to reach out to Latino voters. And an "I love Hispanics!" retweet seemed to him just the thing to do the trick. ETA: Especially with the taco salad hook. Latinos love their taco salads.

I'm not outraged. I'm a bit tickled.
 
Last edited:
No worries, Mitch the Turtle finds it completely improper to approve a Justice less than a year before a Presidential Election!

I know you're being sarcastic here, but I guarantee that if RBG dies before the election, Trump will nominate and McConnell will ram it through. In 2016, it was "Of course, the American people should have a say in the court's direction." Last year, that shifted to "You have to go back to 1880 to find the last time a vacancy created in a presidential election year, on the Supreme Court, was confirmed by a Senate of a different party than the president."

So (as I said once before), the standard has shifted from an ideal (let the voters have a say) to the necessary condition under which that ideal could be ignored (we can still do it, whatever the voters say, because we still have the power). As has been famously said, "if it weren't for double standards, they would have no standards at all."
 
I know you're being sarcastic here, but I guarantee that if RBG dies before the election, Trump will nominate and McConnell will ram it through. In 2016, it was "Of course, the American people should have a say in the court's direction." Last year, that shifted to "You have to go back to 1880 to find the last time a vacancy created in a presidential election year, on the Supreme Court, was confirmed by a Senate of a different party than the president."

So (as I said once before), the standard has shifted from an ideal (let the voters have a say) to the necessary condition under which that ideal could be ignored (we can still do it, whatever the voters say, because we still have the power). As has been famously said, "if it weren't for double standards, they would have no standards at all."

The only person I want to lose the next election more than McConnell is Trump. And there's certainly a case to be made that it's more important to get rid of McConnell. The trouble with that argument is that someone just as bad as McConnell will take his place.
 
The only person I want to lose the next election more than McConnell is Trump. And there's certainly a case to be made that it's more important to get rid of McConnell. The trouble with that argument is that someone just as bad as McConnell will take his place.

Surely it takes long millennia of pickling in the brine of evil to produce a master crapturtle. It will take them centuries to create a true replacement.
 
I'm not. He'll rule by EO which can be reversed by Biden. I'm also hoping that the Dems retake the Senate and McConnell loses re-election. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?

If Moscow Mitch remains as the majority leader but Trump loses, I think Mitch will tell him the greatest legacy he can have is to fill every single vacant judgeship with conservatives and they'll come up with ANYBODY to fill all the seats...and there's nothing to stop them.
 
The only person I want to lose the next election more than McConnell is Trump. And there's certainly a case to be made that it's more important to get rid of McConnell. The trouble with that argument is that someone just as bad as McConnell will take his place.

Not if the Dems take control of the Senate.
 
If Moscow Mitch remains as the majority leader but Trump loses, I think Mitch will tell him the greatest legacy he can have is to fill every single vacant judgeship with conservatives and they'll come up with ANYBODY to fill all the seats...and there's nothing to stop them.

That is true.
 
He keeps pushing this. I cannot recall *anything* he's done regarding the 2nd, either good or bad. Can you? I know he's full of idle boasts, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

What he's selling is that he alone is what stands between the gun nuts and the libtards taking away all their toys in massive midnight raids.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom