• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminds me of Katrina. The country with the money, logistics provess, and power to invade and swiftly occupy a foreign country halfway around the world, fumbling the distaster response to one of their own cities. Granted, Iraq was probably well planned, while Katrina was a natural disaster, but still. Should there not have been tightly rehearsed contingency plans for what to do if one or more of those levees gave in?

"Tightly rehearsed" is probably a bit too much to ask, because the unexpected always happens. You have to take the plans, start executing, and monitor the situation to see what can't be done, and adapt. It's that last step that caused all of the problems in Katrina, Maria, and Covid-19. You need someone at the top who is actually paying attention, and because of the large number of resources, unfortunately, that person either has to be the President, or someone who is directly appointed by and reports directly to the President.

When your President is Donald Trump, that's kind of unfortunate.
 
Trump orders the meat-packing plants to stay open.

Isn't that some kind of centrally planned economy?

And his solution is "liability protections" for meat producing companies? What?

How about addressing actual reasons why workers do not want or cannot work?

I know, I know, these are rhetorical questions, I am well aware USA is corporate fascist state leaded by most incompetent "leader" in world.
 
Isn't that some kind of centrally planned economy?

And his solution is "liability protections" for meat producing companies? What?

How about addressing actual reasons why workers do not want or cannot work?

I know, I know, these are rhetorical questions, I am well aware USA is corporate fascist state leaded by most incompetent "leader" in world.

It's time to bring back slavery!
 
They are, literally, making people either show up to work or go without any unemployment benefits.

Work or die!
 
And his solution is "liability protections" for meat producing companies? What?
Liability protections are becoming the central Republican plank of their "get back to work even if it kills another couple hundred thousand people" platform. Mitch wants them in any potential new stimulus package because they'll make it easier for businesses to open up, force their employees to return to work (in conjunction with a state denying unemployment benefits to those who refuse to return to work), and then not suffer any consequences if their employees die as a direct result of returning to work.

Thank FSM that we have governments that care so much about us.
 
I was going to reply to Quad's post but I'll grab your reply instead...

5 or 6 weekds ago, I tried to buy TP here in rural Oregon... no joy.
Safeway and the Fred Meyer next door were both getting commerecial singles and bagging them four to a customer. They would come in first thing and be gone within an hour (every 2-3 days I was told) so I never did see it in action.
Ordered 18 rolls from gawd knows where in China instead, and horded my two donated rolls from the Auto/RV joint that lets me plug in on the weekends, while I waited out the 6-8 week estimate delivery was expected to take. Oh noes. :(
They arrived early last week, ~3.5 weeks after ordering. :) Everything is moving faster right now... three deliveries have shown up much earlier than initial extimates.
Oh and... I was back in that Safeway yesterday for regular groceries (everything in stock except - yeast), and they had regular 4 packs of Angel Soft dbl rolls... so I went ahead and got one. Feast or famine, eh? :D

And that Chinese stuff isn't the trash I was expecting... damned actual 4 ply and good quality. May have to horde it. ;)

I also ordered 36 rolls of Chinese TP off Amazon about 6 weeks ago. Estimated delivery is the middle to end of May. Since I can get TP with no problem now, I'm going to store the Chinese TP in the attic just in case there's another wave this fall and another lockdown.
 
They are, literally, making people either show up to work or go without any unemployment benefits.

Work or die!

Are you referring to a specific location, or speaking generally?

That does not sound like what is going on around here. Employers - non essential - can not legally threaten and fire workers who fear being in an unsafe, non-essential work environment, who refuse to come in, choosing to stay sheltered in.

I am speaking of my county, and unware of what is going on around other locations.
 
Are you referring to a specific location, or speaking generally?

I'm speaking about meat plants. Also, there are those states that are opening up businesses and stating that people not going to work because they don't want to die of covid-19 will not get unemployment benefits.
 
Putting your life on the line for $5 an hour pretty much is, isn't it?
Let's not pretend it's about the money, any more than a pre-Civil War slave owner gets credit for providing room and board for their chattel. It's about being given no choice, which is what happens if the state cuts off unemployment benefits because you have the "option" to work where you can get infected, pass the infection to your family, and then potentially die.
 
Trump Retweeted

Trump War Room - Text TRUMP to 88022
@TrumpWarRoom
Joe Biden spent 44 years in Washington standing up FOR China.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Equipo Trump (Text VAMOS to 88022)
@EquipoTrump
As Trump campaign senior advisor @mercedesschlapp said today, Joe Biden's plan to ease sanctions on the Cuban and Venezuelan dictatorships is a total DISASTER straight out of Bernie Sanders' socialist playbook!

Erin Perrine
@ErinMPerrine
Tonight’s @TeamTrump Online! has two of the best —> @LaraLeaTrump & @kevinomccarthy talking about Sleepy Joe’s failures vs @realDonaldTrump’s leadership
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom