• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when Pence ordered his Coronavirus task staff not to go on CNN?
After that story hit the media, that order was reversed:
Vice President Mike Pence's office reversed course on Thursday afternoon, after declining for days to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN and discuss the coronavirus pandemic, in what was an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.

After this story was published, Pence's office allowed for the booking of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield for CNN's Thursday night coronavirus town hall. Dr. Anthony Fauci was also booked for Friday on "New Day."

Previously, Pence's office, which is responsible for booking the officials on networks during the pandemic, said it would only allow experts such as Fauci or Dr. Deborah Birx to appear on CNN if the network televised the portion of the White House briefings that includes the vice president and other coronavirus task force members.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/media/pence-office-tv-bookings-coronavirus/index.html
 
We went about this all wrong.

At the very beginning, we should have told the president that if the followed the advice of the medical staff, he would receive a $300,000,000 bonus.

And then negotiate with various media outlets to throw in things like Time Magazine’s Person-of-the-Year award, network coverage for 3 political rallies of his choice, and 14 column-inches in the Sunday New York Times from the next 12 weeks.

We could have saved A LOT of money.
 
Last edited:
If he's too vain to wear glasses then he could wear 'reading' contacts that correct both near and far seeing problems. Or, he could get laser surgery that does the same thing. I got that almost 30 years ago. It was very easy. Personally, I'd rather get either than look like a 3rd grade school kid reading a book report that clearly my high school sibling wrote for me.

He can have his statement printed in any size type he needs. Glasses aren't the problem.
 
Let me get this straight... an OANN poll gives Trump a 7-point lead in Jesse Helms Country?

Perhaps a better first question is... does that poll even exist in the first place? Apparently, there is no such OANN poll. There is, apparently, a poll by a right wing think tank that matches the numbers, but... meh. Right wing think tanks tend not to be anywhere close to as reliable as they like to try to make themselves sound.

Trump tweets

Crazy Nancy Pelosi deleted this from her Twitter account. She wanted everyone to pack into Chinatown long after I closed the BORDER TO CHINA. Based on her statement, she is responsible for many deaths. She’s an incompetent, third-rate politician!

(link to video in tweet). https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1250852583318736896
is this another one of his "I know you are but what am I" defenses?

I'm mildly surprised that the obvious wasn't pointed out. Chinatown is NOT China. ;)


Fits the usual pattern of Make Russia Great Again.
 
Last edited:
Trump tweets - Crazy Nancy Pelosi deleted this from her Twitter account. She wanted everyone to pack into Chinatown long after I closed the BORDER TO CHINA. Based on her statement, she is responsible for many deaths. She’s an incompetent, third-rate politician!

It's really off-the-rails the way this moron addresses other elected leaders. The name calling. Nancy Pelosi is crazy, she's incompetent, a third-rate politician, responsible for people dying. WTF? Who addresses other people this way? Other elected officials don't refer to Trump this way. This is how a president addresses the leader of the opposition party? In what ******** country is this the norm? Sadly, in our ******** country, thanks to the ******** president we have.

This is the moron's wife discussing the use of the internet:
Communicate your values clearly so your kids can make thoughtful decisions when they face tricky situations...The internet — and technology in general — are powerful forces for good. I believe that, together, we can make a real difference in encouraging positive behavior online. First Lady Link

Yet nobody in public life calls this whackjob out on this. I guess he's already degraded our standards beyond that point.

Unbelievable. :(
 
Who watches these things (other than idiots and masochists)?


While I was briefly in the office yesterday to collect and mail some checks, a coworker walked past my office and we started talking (at a safe distance). He watches Trump's and Governor Cuomo's press conferences obsessively to stay informed on what's happening.
However, I mentioned a few past events.

Trump not wanting to remove passengers from a cruise ship because "it will make our numbers go up".
"I thought that was the Governor of California."

Trump saying he had inherited a bad test that was just developed in January.
"Maybe he meant a test for a different coronavirus strain."

Trump cutting WHO funding.
"This may not be the best time, but if they're showing favoritism to certain countries or helping cover things up, maybe we should put it on hold while they're investigated."
 
It's really off-the-rails the way this moron addresses other elected leaders. The name calling. Nancy Pelosi is crazy, she's incompetent, a third-rate politician, responsible for people dying. WTF? Who addresses other people this way? Other elected officials don't refer to Trump this way. This is how a president addresses the leader of the opposition party? In what ******** country is this the norm? Sadly, in our ******** country, thanks to the ******** president we have.

This is the moron's wife discussing the use of the internet:


Yet nobody in public life calls this whackjob out on this. I guess he's already degraded our standards beyond that point.

Unbelievable. :(

A word that few seem to use anymore: Propriety, "the state or quality of conforming to conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals."

Trump didn't degrade conventionally accepted standards by himself. The degradation is a progression that began with cable television, the proliferation of television stations that didn't have to conform to the standards of the Big 3 networks.

The next step was the gutting of the "Equal Time Rule" and the "Fairness Doctrine." This left radio and television stations free to air biased material.

Then Rush Limbaugh reached syndication in 1988. Next, the development of the Internet in the early 90's. After that, in 1996, the birth of Fox News. Soon after, the proliferation of cell phones and social media.

All of this and other factors, has led to the degradation of accepted standards of behavior and morals in the U.S. Trump himself didn't cause this, he is the product of it and has taken full advantage.

40 years ago, idiots didn't have a worldwide soapbox for their racism, sexism, xenophobia, conspiracy theories, etc. They couldn't spread their hatred widely. Now they have that ability, and the ability to recruit others into their insanity.

I can remember a time, at least where I grew up, when people who expressed the kind of views that are now considered normal who have been shunned. Today, almost half the people in this country agree with these views.

We've become a nation of fear and loathing. We opened Pandora's box in the name of freedom of speech and ideas, and we can never close it again.
 
Last edited:
That's all part of his "charm."

We've become a nation of "kneejerks" who are "too easily offended" and "fake" and "phony" and worst of all... *pause as I build the moral strength required to even say such a vile word....* "DRAMATIC."

We need a "think from the gut" no nonsense leader who "speaks his mind" to counter all the damage done by those uppity intellectuals.
 
It's really off-the-rails the way this moron addresses other elected leaders. The name calling. Nancy Pelosi is crazy, she's incompetent, a third-rate politician, responsible for people dying. WTF? Who addresses other people this way? Other elected officials don't refer to Trump this way. This is how a president addresses the leader of the opposition party? In what ******** country is this the norm? Sadly, in our ******** country, thanks to the ******** president we have.

This is the moron's wife discussing the use of the internet:


Yet nobody in public life calls this whackjob out on this. I guess he's already degraded our standards beyond that point.

Unbelievable. :(

I watched a movie last night. "Deep Impact". For those of you who haven't seen it, it's one of the "killer asteroid" movies. Not a bad flick, in my opinion. What struck me was that Morgan Freeman plays the president, and he is portrayed as a sort of ideal president. Yes, he was working from a script, so he could be ideal pretty easily. However, he wasn't all that different from every president in my lifetime, until this one. When the scriptwriters put together an image of a perfect president, they took real presidents, and made them a bit better. There was absolutely no trace of Trump in that character.

How did we sink so low, from that ideal of a president, to the current reality?
 
The next step was the gutting of the "Equal Time Rule" and the "Fairness Doctrine." This left radio and television stations free to air biased material.

Then Rush Limbaugh reached syndication in 1988. Next, the development of the Internet in the early 90's. After that, in 1996, the birth of Fox News. Soon after, the proliferation of cell phones and social media.

All of this and other factors, has led to the degradation of accepted standards of behavior and morals in the U.S. Trump himself didn't cause this, he is the product of it and has taken full advantage.

I agree with a lot of this.

40 years ago, idiots didn't have a worldwide soapbox for their racism, sexism, xenophobia, conspiracy theories, etc. They couldn't spread their hatred widely. Now they have that ability, and the ability to recruit others into their insanity.

I can remember a time, at least where I grew up, when people who expressed the kind of views that are now considered normal who have been shunned. Today, almost half the people in this country agree with these views.

On this point, though, I disagree. Where I grew up at least, racism was pretty common, and a lot more than is acceptable now And sexism and homophobia were just normal. (I was born in 62, graduated high school 40 years ago) I was a liberal, so I occasionally objected when people complained about (insert the N word here), but I wasn't too vocal about it, because that could be kind of dangerous. I think there was a lot more racism then, at least in small town Illinois, but it wasn't a whole lot different when I went of to a University where there were a lot more city and suburban folk, in a lot more cosmopolitan atmosphere.

To me, Trump's ideology isn't so incredibly extreme that I find it unacceptable. I don't agree with it, but it doesn't make my skin crawl. It's his attitude, his manners, his general embracing of anti-intellectualism. I contrast Donald Trump with Jack Kennedy sometimes. I feel like Donald Trump is "We are entitled to greatness because we are Americans", where Jack Kennedy was more, "We are obligated to be great, because we are Americans."

I don't remember Kennedy, and I'm sure the real Kennedy wasn't as good as the sound bites, but we really need someone like that now.
 
Last edited:
......
How did we sink so low, from that ideal of a president, to the current reality?

One reason is that he ran on the oldest, simplest of political promises: "If you vote for me, I will make your life better," and the people who felt left behind and left out by a changing economy believed him. His clueless opponent told those people "You're a basket of deplorables."
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom