• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a quick look around to see the composition of this committee but couldn't find anything. Got a link?

I confessed to be absolutely 100% wrong about this on a previous page.

I have no problem admitting my error on this page also.
 
Don't have mine yet. If the processing goes alphabetically, my last name (IRL) begins with an "S" so it might be a week or so.

They're not. I'm not far from "S" myself. They may be doing it in order of who has the simplest filings. I had nothing but the standard deduction for 2019 so my taxes were as simple as they come. It's based off the AGI for that year so if your tax situation involves anything complicated to calculate your AGI that might be a reason for a delay.
 
When I tried to sign on to see the status of my stimulus payment, I got a message saying they can't determine my eligibility for a refund.

Well ain't that peachy? I filed taxes in 2018 and 2019, although I didn't get a refund either year. I was expecting to have to get to the site and enter my bank information for direct deposit, but I didn't get that far.

I put in my social security number, address, and zip code, and it said they couldn't determine anything.

Exactly our situation.

No refund for either 2018 or 2019, but both my wife and I get Social Security direct deposits to our bank account - in fact those payments hit today. Hopefully we’ll see our stimulus payments in short order, though we’re lucky in that we’re not in dire need of said payments.
 
Last edited:
This may not be the appropriate thread for this, but Canada's response for anyone out of work due to the epidemic is the CERB: Canada Emergency Relief Benefit. It's $2,000/month for up to four months. People have to apply for it and self-declare that they're eligible.

I applied and it was very straightforward. It appears the goal is to get money to the people who apply as quickly as possible, and look for irregularities later. I don't know if the plan is to audit every claim once the emergency is over or to look for patterns that might indicate unsupported claims. As of today over 6 million Canadians have applied. My roommate, who applied for E.I. when he was laid off from his job due to COVID-19, was automatically enrolled in the CERB when it was announced. He received his first payment this week.
 
It's being reported by whom?

IF true, I don't think even Trump could get away with suspending Congress.
But, I do hope he tries. It would be rather enjoyable watching the GOP Congress turn on Dear Leader.

Even suspending Congress wouldn't cause that to happen.
 
Haven't seen anything yet in my account, though the few gringos living in my area all have it now. Oh, well. Left behind...again.
 
Yup. That got lost in the mess.

I’m of a generation where SOP was local news at 6P, national news at 6:30P. Though I absorb news from multiple sources during the day, I still enjoy the 30 minute summary I get from network news.

That said, for weeks now it’s been virtually nothing but Coronavirus news. That is, of course, important, but could be condensed to no more than 20 minutes or so, leaving time for other stories. Like deadly tornadoes in the south a few days ago not far from us, or Kim Jong Un’s shenanigans, China’s military maneuvering, threats by Trump to adjourn Congress and so on.
 
Trump Tweets

Crazy “Nancy Pelosi, you are a weak person. You are a poor leader. You are the reason America hates career politicians, like yourself.” @seanhannity She is totally incompetent & controlled by the Radical Left, a weak and pathetic puppet. Come back to Washington and do your job!

@OANN Poll “Gives President Trump a 52% Approval Rating in North Carolina, and a seven point lead over (Sleepy) Joe Biden. The President also helps other Republican Candidates, including @SenThomTillis, who has a 4% lead over his Democrat rival.”
 
Trump Tweets

Crazy “Nancy Pelosi, you are a weak person. You are a poor leader. You are the reason America hates career politicians, like yourself.” @seanhannity She is totally incompetent & controlled by the Radical Left, a weak and pathetic puppet. Come back to Washington and do your job!

@OANN Poll “Gives President Trump a 52% Approval Rating in North Carolina, and a seven point lead over (Sleepy) Joe Biden. The President also helps other Republican Candidates, including @SenThomTillis, who has a 4% lead over his Democrat rival.”

Reputable poll taken 4/14-15 shows Biden with a 48/47 edge in North Carolina:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/north-carolina/
 
When I tried to sign on to see the status of my stimulus payment, I got a message saying they can't determine my eligibility for a refund.

......
I put in my social security number, address, and zip code, and it said they couldn't determine anything.

Exactly our situation.

Same here. I'm hoping that they are prioritizing those who need it more than I do.
 
Same here. I'm hoping that they are prioritizing those who need it more than I do.

I'm not thinking that's likely. I don't think that computer has enough information to determine need.


I would have preferred they did that in the first place, instead of just printing a bunch of money and throwing it out to everyone. i.e. I think "Give everyone money" is a really terrible plan. However, since they did it, I would like to get my hands on the part that has been allocated to me.
 
Don't let the checks going out distract you. Those checks are a band-aide on a sucking chest wound. It's the failure of getting the unemployment for people who need it started that's the real story.
 
Meanwhile, the $349 billion small business loan program is tapped out.

The government's small business loan money is gone. Now what?


(CNN)The money is gone.

On Thursday morning, the $349 billion emergency small business lending program officially tapped out. The Small Business Association officially ran out of money for the Paycheck Protection Program, according to a message for lenders posted on the administration's website.

Negotiations on Capitol Hill have yet to generate a path forward to replenish the money, all as the US economy continues to stagger under the pressure of near-nationwide closures.

Bottom line: Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Democrats will reconvene Thursday to try and reach agreement on a package that will immediately increase funding for the program. But they aren't there yet and this is no longer a theoretical exercise. The program had, and continues to have, glitches and difficulties. But it also rolled through $349 billion in less than two weeks. That's how urgent it is for small business owners. That's how desperate, how flat catastrophic, the economic situation is amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Nah, it'll all be fine, Trump has said so!
 
I’m of a generation where SOP was local news at 6P, national news at 6:30P. Though I absorb news from multiple sources during the day, I still enjoy the 30 minute summary I get from network news.

That said, for weeks now it’s been virtually nothing but Coronavirus news. That is, of course, important, but could be condensed to no more than 20 minutes or so, leaving time for other stories. Like deadly tornadoes in the south a few days ago not far from us, or Kim Jong Un’s shenanigans, China’s military maneuvering, threats by Trump to adjourn Congress and so on.

Ditto.

So many news stories are being lost in the All Covid 19, All the Time coverage.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom