The_Animus
Illuminator
- Joined
- Nov 24, 2006
- Messages
- 3,660
Also I'm calling it now. Much to my dismay Trump will win in 2020. Anyone is free to do a one month avatar bet if you feel otherwise. First come first serve as only one bet will be taken.
Also I'm calling it now. Much to my dismay Trump will win in 2020. Anyone is free to do a one month avatar bet if you feel otherwise. First come first serve as only one bet will be taken.
Also I'm calling it now. Much to my dismay Trump will win in 2020. Anyone is free to do a one month avatar bet if you feel otherwise. First come first serve as only one bet will be taken.
After 2016, I've learned never to try and guess what the American electorate, coupled with the EC, will do.
Have there been any successful large-scale retraining programs, for the workforce of a dying industry?Total crap marketing, letting the clip of her saying coal jobs would be gone without pointing out the next sentence was: "Which is why we need a program for retraining..."
No one heard anything else because the GOP made a soundbite out of that half of what she said and she did nothing to counter the sound bite.
Have there been any successful large-scale retraining programs, for the workforce of a dying industry?
When the longshore jobs were obsoleted by containerized shipping in the 70s, how many longshoremen were retrained into other jobs as good as the jobs they'd lost?
When steelwork and automaking left Detroit, how many Detroit steelworkers and automobile assembly line workers got retrained into jobs as good or better?
How active and effective were those workers' unions, in enabling and supporting the transition?
Not that it matters much now, but I suddenly realized I have no idea what kind of retraining program Hillary had planned for coal miners, nor whether it was based on similar plans from previous events of a similar nature.
A lot of times the details are light in the actual bill that gets written.Most"retraining" programs are based on an extended time on the dole with community college courses as the stick.
Yeah I'm no psychic and I can certainly be wrong. But I feel certain enough that I'm willing to bet one months worth of avatar on it. I've just largely lost faith in the American populace in general to not be swayed by ******** and thus they will continue to shoot themselves in the foot
Or maybe it is a single poster on an obscure forum just voicing a lone opinion.Interesting how the Brenie Bors have turned on the American people since it became clear that Bernie would not get the nomination. They sound like an Inner Party member talking about the Proles in Orwell's "1984".
I think the Corona virus is chainging everything..and not in Trump's favor.
Bernie has put forward a plan that would make public colleges and universities free for families whose income is below $125,000. It's a good idea, and after consideration, I am proud to add it to my platform.
....
Maybe the first half a dozen times this promise was made it was well-intended. But certainly during the latter half of my life thus far, anyone who says this goes into my list of people who are full of **** and they know it.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-clinton-coal_n_57310338e4b016f37896bf10Hillary Clinton has a $30 billion, 4,300-word plan to retrain coal workers that covers everything from education and infrastructure to tax credits and school funding.
....
“The Clinton plan is consistent in what we need to do and is in keeping with what other countries around the world are doing,” Edward Cameron, a policy lead at the nonprofit corporate environmental coalition We Mean Business, told HuffPost. “Even as we transition away from coal, we need to protect and safeguard coal communities by giving them different types of livelihood options than before.”
I would do a lesser bet that the election outcome won't be decided until after 2020.
But it's not like all WVa coal miners (or auto workers or steel workers etc.) are all going to happily enter some other prosperous industry together. Extended benefits and classroom education allow each worker a chance to find something that best suits him. It's up to him to make the most of it. Maybe they should be more generous, but the fact that somebody went to work in the mines or the mills at age 18 because it was the best choice he had then doesn't mean the society owes him a lifetime of great pay and union perks. Why is he entitled to more help than anyone else who's laid off in a changing economy?
And Clinton did have a plan.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump-clinton-coal_n_57310338e4b016f37896bf10
More important than whether it's more like Bernie's or someone else's, there's the fact that he doesn't mean it.