Both Sanders or Biden are walking into the same partisan gridlock. The difference is how they will respond to it.
Biden's messaging about bipartisanship and good-faith negotiation shows that he refuses to deal with the situation as it is. McConnell is going to play him like a fiddle.
I think Biden has been around long enough and understands the political climate that he won't be "Played like a fiddle". He has seen how McConnell treated Obama.
I don't expect Sanders to walk into office and wave a magic wand to make Medicare For All happen. I do think he would be able to radically reframe the discussion of the issue
Oh, I get it...
You don't think Bernie has a "Magic wand", you think he just has magic powers. I guess that makes a big difference.
He's not a Harry Potter wizard, "Accio BernieCare". He's a Jedi. "These are not the policies you are looking for".
and drag the party back after years of rightward drift.
People often make the claim that the Democrats have had a "rightward drift", but is it really true? Well, lets see:
Clinton once signed the "defense of Marriage act". Now, gay marriage is something that widely accepted within the Democratic party. The party also seems to have accepted loosening restrictions on marijuana.
What about the economy? Well, again, Clinton had relaxed many of the financial regulations (which contributed to the crash of 2008). But Obama had restored many of those regulations, and most of the Democratic candidates want even stricter enforcement. And pretty much every Democrat wants an increase in the minimum wage.
Perhaps free trade is one area where many democrats have "drifted to the right", but I think evidence has shown that trade liberalization is usually beneficial to the economy.
We need a president that is going to draw a sharp contrast, not just another centrist that is just a more polite, less bigoted version of Republicans.
And there we go again.
Why should anyone give any attention to what you say if you consider a Democrat who wants to expand access to public health care, protect abortion rights and increase taxes on the wealthy as a "version of the republicans" just because they don't particularly like Sander's particular policies?
Again, is your understanding of the political landscape so skewed that you can't actually identify the differences between non-Sanders democrats and Republicans?