• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: 2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker Part IV

Republicans
In my opinion that would be a mistake.

Even if Sanders wins the debate easily, its doubtful he would win the nomination. (Biden's lead is too great.) The only think Sander's continued participation would do is to increase the divisions within the Democratic party, and give yet more ammunition to the Republicans

Is it?

Biden needs 50.5% of remaining delegates for an outright majority.

Bernie needs 57.1% for the same.

Biden has opened up his lead,
Lets see, of the remaining primaries, you have:
- Florida (where Sanders trails Biden by double digits)
- Illinois (where Sanders again trails Biden by double digits)
- New York (where Sanders again trails Biden by double digits)
- Pennsylvania (where Sanders again trails Biden by double digits)
And those are just 4 of the states with bigger delegate counts. That is a huge amount of ground to cover.

So not only is Biden in the lead in current delegates, he is clearly in the lead in the polls for all remaining delegates.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/florida/
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/illinois/
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/new-york/
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-primary-d/pennsylvania/

but there's still room for a turnaround, especially if he suddenly becomes perceived of being unfit for office.
And there is also a chance that Sander's support could drop further, if he has any more episodes where he expresses his undying love for Castro, or starts attacking the same delegates he needs support from.

The assumption that only Biden may falter is a foolish notion.
 
Looks like Sanders is sticking in the race.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign/index.html
Bernie Sanders vowed to stay in the presidential race on Wednesday after a series of defeats that have left him trailing rival Joe Biden...

BernieBros like to criticize Biden for his supposedly failing mental health.... yet here is Sanders, clinging to false hope, driving a wedge in the Democratic party, and possibly helping the Republicans. (Not to mention draining Democratic resources to continue a race when instead they could be focused against Trump.)

The only way this works out well is if its somehow a way to give Biden tacit support by tossing him a bunch of soft-balls at the next debate, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.
 
Looks like Sanders is sticking in the race.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign/index.html
Bernie Sanders vowed to stay in the presidential race on Wednesday after a series of defeats that have left him trailing rival Joe Biden...

BernieBros like to criticize Biden for his supposedly failing mental health.... yet here is Sanders, clinging to false hope, driving a wedge in the Democratic party, and possibly helping the Republicans. (Not to mention draining Democratic resources to continue a race when instead they could be focused against Trump.)

The only way this works out well is if its somehow a way to give Biden tacit support by tossing him a bunch of soft-balls at the next debate, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.

I'd be shocked if Bernie takes that tack. He sees Biden as the establishment and has never been a team player.
 
I agree. She would, IMO, be a greater asset to Biden than to Sanders, but she would help either Candidate.

She'd also be a great asset to either as president. I can't think of anyone who would do more with the office of VP than Warren other than Dick Cheney.

Not that I think it's likely. One, either Sanders or Biden would likely chose a younger running mate from the south or midwest. Two, it would make me too happy, and the universe doesn't operate like that.
 
Looks like Sanders is sticking in the race.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign/index.html
Bernie Sanders vowed to stay in the presidential race on Wednesday after a series of defeats that have left him trailing rival Joe Biden...

BernieBros like to criticize Biden for his supposedly failing mental health.... yet here is Sanders, clinging to false hope, driving a wedge in the Democratic party, and possibly helping the Republicans. (Not to mention draining Democratic resources to continue a race when instead they could be focused against Trump.)

The only way this works out well is if its somehow a way to give Biden tacit support by tossing him a bunch of soft-balls at the next debate, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.

Hopefully Biden does not take such a combative tone. Even if Bernie loses, he represents a large portion of the party. Concessions should be made to appeal to the progressive wing of the party.

This tactic of comparing legitimate concerns of the progressive wing of the party to Trump enabling seems very misguided. These people who spent years crying about Bernie bros not turning out to vote seem determined to alienate every last one of them.
 
Last edited:
"Give us cake or we'll give you four more years of President Trump!"

Stop calling us Russian bots and Trump toadies and we probably won't vote Green.

Why wouldn't Bernie get something? Plenty of lesser candidates seem to be getting something for toeing the party line. Are we one party or a vanquished foe? Obama made Hillary secretary of state, and she ran a way nastier primary than anything we've seen so far.
 
Last edited:
Stop calling us Russian bots and Trump toadies and we probably won't vote Green.

Why wouldn't Bernie get something? Plenty of lesser candidates seem to be getting something for toeing the party line. Are we one party or a vanquished foe? Obama made Hillary secretary of state, and she ran a way nastier primary than anything we've seen so far.

This is Prestige you're talking to. I'm sure he would prefer you to vote green party.
 
And that's one of his more problematic points, honestly. A problem that's compounded by the need to do a heck of a lot of working together to fix the mess that Trump's made. To poke at his comments about Clyburn, for example, him just... refusing to even reach out to those who don't actually share his politics is rather self defeating.
More importantly, it's not good for the USA either. Ideologically rigid politicians are lousy politicians, period. Interestingly, ideologically ungrounded politicians (like Trump) are kinda worthless too.



Honestly, not having a brokered convention is a good thing. I much prefer it that way. It would, admittedly, be nice if Warren had came out of a brokered convention as the nominee, but that victory would be a... tainted one.
It would also be very hard to overcome the resultant damaged egos and defeat Trump in November.

Although I'm disappointed that it's Biden, there's no question who I'm pulling the lever for in November. I hope others act likewise.
 
Why wouldn't Bernie get something? Plenty of lesser candidates seem to be getting something for toeing the party line. Are we one party or a vanquished foe? Obama made Hillary secretary of state, and she ran a way nastier primary than anything we've seen so far.

The (very big) difference is that HRC had been a prominent, loyal and leading Democrat since Jesus was in swaddling clothes while Bernie ... well, not at all. It's the chickens coming home to roost.
 
This is Prestige you're talking to. I'm sure he would prefer you to vote green party.

I'm not the one calling Sanders supporters Russian bots. I figured it wasn't directed at me.

And no, while I would appreciate it if all the Dems stayed home this time, I don't think any of them should betray their conscience to do so. If Sanders supporters all end up holding their nose and voting for Biden, and as a result he wins the election, that's an acceptable outcome to me.

Sanders supporters spoiling Biden's chances seems like a silly idea to me. I wouldn't mind the result, but I don't want them to do it, if that makes sense.
 
Looks like Sanders is sticking in the race.

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/bernie-sanders-campaign/index.html
Bernie Sanders vowed to stay in the presidential race on Wednesday after a series of defeats that have left him trailing rival Joe Biden...

BernieBros like to criticize Biden for his supposedly failing mental health.... yet here is Sanders, clinging to false hope, driving a wedge in the Democratic party, and possibly helping the Republicans. (Not to mention draining Democratic resources to continue a race when instead they could be focused against Trump.)

The only way this works out well is if its somehow a way to give Biden tacit support by tossing him a bunch of soft-balls at the next debate, but I somehow doubt that will be the case.

The tone of his speech and the bulk of the article are rather different than your interpretation.

Standing in front of a line of American flags and a deep blue curtain, Sanders acknowledged his delegate math crunch before he dug deeper into the numbers and warned that Biden's failure so far to win over young voters could be damaging in November and beyond. He did not, however, criticize Biden over his Iraq War vote or record on Social Security. In dropping those lines of attack, Sanders offered some insight into his goals going forward: to push his own agenda and perhaps secure some commitments from Biden, not tear him down.

"Today I say to the Democratic establishment, in order to win in the future, you need to win the voters who represent the future of our country and you must speak to the issues of concern to them," Sanders said, before conceding that he was doing just as poorly with older voters.

Sanders, in unusually frank and analytical terms, also discussed his failure so far to convince Democrats he would stand the best chance of defeating President Donald Trump in November.

"While our campaign has won the ideological debate, we are losing the debate over electability. I cannot tell you how many people our campaign has spoke to and said, and I quote, 'I like what your campaign stands for, I agree with what your campaign stands for, but I'm going to vote for Joe Biden because I think Joe is the best candidate to defeat Donald Trump,'" Sanders said. "We have heard that statement all over this country. Needless to say, I strongly disagree with that assertion, but that is what millions of Democrats and independents today believe."

Emphasis mine.
 
Stop calling us Russian bots and Trump toadies and we probably won't vote Green.

Why wouldn't Bernie get something? Plenty of lesser candidates seem to be getting something for toeing the party line. Are we one party or a vanquished foe? Obama made Hillary secretary of state, and she ran a way nastier primary than anything we've seen so far.

OK, just tell Bernie to call off the dogs. Uncle already.




It's more about the comments than the vids.
 
I'm not the one calling Sanders supporters Russian bots. I figured it wasn't directed at me.

And no, while I would appreciate it if all the Dems stayed home this time, I don't think any of them should betray their conscience to do so. If Sanders supporters all end up holding their nose and voting for Biden, and as a result he wins the election, that's an acceptable outcome to me.

Sanders supporters spoiling Biden's chances seems like a silly idea to me. I wouldn't mind the result, but I don't want them to do it, if that makes sense.

Yeah, but he was replying to your post. And I'm sorry if you find this offensive. But I don't believe you.

All I have seen the last few years is Republicans tossing away any and all principles in exchange for power. And I have seen little evidence that shows you are the exception.

But maybe, I'm wrong. I doubt it though.
 
Last edited:
The news this evening has me lamenting that we did not recognize the value of a candidate who "has a plan for that"

Yeah, just after Trump's speech, the NBA announced it was suspending it's season because of the virus. Not good timing, Donnie, not good timing.
 
Yeah, just after Trump's speech, the NBA announced it was suspending it's season because of the virus. Not good timing, Donnie, not good timing.

At least two NHL teams are playing to empty stadiums as well.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom