• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency: Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
FDR in 1944 (speaking of the D-Day troops in a radio address)
“For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home. “​

DJT in 2020
“Saudi Arabia is paying us for [our troops]. We have a very good relationship with Saudi Arabia. I said, listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you’ve got to pay us. They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1 billion in the bank,”​

I try not to imagine if today’s president were elected in 1940.
I create unease in myself wondering if President Trump would actually say, “I like you Winston, and I want our troops to fight alongside yours, but Adolf offered $95,000,000 in gold and unless you can top that offer, we going to have to go with his side.”
 
Lev the Canary says that the atmosphere around Trumpf is cult-like. Wonder where he got such a crazy idea?
His description of the prestige tiers -- the wannabes in the lobby and the players in the back rooms -- paints a picture that is stunningly pathetic.

Add: Reference to forum member accidental!
 
Last edited:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. When Trump says the Saudis paid the U.S. $1 billion, and it's immediately contradicted, given Trump's track record with making false statements, what are Americans supposed to believe? My personal feeling is, Trump must have some reason to claim the Saudis have paid us $1 billion but who knows? It's been proven again and again that many of his statements are NOT true. What kind of a president do we have when you can't believe statements he makes. Some of them are true, I agree, but you never know for sure. You can't trust him.

We need to bring back the phrase “irrational exuberance.”
It is a perfect description of the president’s comments on the progress of negotiations.
 
Trumpy said:
Saudi Arabia is paying us for [our troops]. We have a very good relationship with Saudi Arabia. I said, listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you’ve got to pay us. They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1 billion in the bank,”
I'm willing to bet no such conversation or anything like it ever took place except in Trump's fevered, irrational and failing imagination.

Reality is that he personally owes the Saudis a metric ****-ton for all sorts of bail-outs, just like he owes similarly to the Russian mob aka Putin. So they would be telling him straight up that if he wants to try bargaining US troops for a billion dollars then they will publicly out him to the US authorities and see how his impeachment goes from there. He also won't be able to touch the glowing orb again.

So the US troops will go on the public dime as always.
 
FDR in 1944 (speaking of the D-Day troops in a radio address)
“For these men are lately drawn from the ways of peace. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and good will among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home. “​

DJT in 2020
“Saudi Arabia is paying us for [our troops]. We have a very good relationship with Saudi Arabia. I said, listen, you’re a very rich country. You want more troops? I’m going to send them to you, but you’ve got to pay us. They’re paying us. They’ve already deposited $1 billion in the bank,”​

I try not to imagine if today’s president were elected in 1940.
I create unease in myself wondering if President Trump would actually say, “I like you Winston, and I want our troops to fight alongside yours, but Adolf offered $95,000,000 in gold and unless you can top that offer, we going to have to go with his side.”
To be fair you have to remember that WW2 bankrupted the UK. The USA was not willing to bail the UK out and the best the UK could do was to secure a loan from the USA and Canada on the grounds that sterling would become convertible, which in effect meant the dollar became the reserve currency of the world. In the end in real terms the UK paid back twice what it had borrowed. Remember the USA was a very reluctant ally in WW2.
 
He went on to recount listening to military officials as they watched the strike from "cameras that are miles in the sky."
"They're together sir," Trump recalled the military officials saying. "Sir, they have two minutes and 11 seconds. No emotion. '2 minutes and 11 seconds to live, sir. They're in the car, they're in an armored vehicle. Sir, they have approximately one minute to live, sir. 30 seconds. 10, 9, 8 ...' "
"Then all of a sudden, boom," he went on. "'They're gone, sir. Cutting off.' "
"I said, where is this guy?" Trump continued. "That was the last I heard from him."

Six "sir"s. This conversation never happened.
 
Trump Tweets

The noble people of Iran—who love America—deserve a government that's more interested in helping them achieve their dreams than killing them for demanding respect. Instead of leading Iran toward ruin, its leaders should abandon terror and Make Iran Great Again!

You remember how Trump said he didn't want regime change in Iran...?
 
You remember how Trump said he didn't want regime change in Iran...?
I kind of gave him a pass on this. He's saying he wants the regime to change, not that he wants regime change. Now I know that sounds like splitting hairs, and maybe it is, but I think he's at least partly right. Iran's leadership cultivated a bad-boy image out of pride, which may not have served them well over the years.

It has enough going for it that if it did abandon "terror" it might indeed help their position.

On the other hand AFAIK the most recent manifestation of "terror" has been kicking ISIS ass and countering Wahabbi terrorism that manages to avoid the "state-sponsored" label.

And when Iran does act conciliatory it still gets branded as evil, despite some military cooperation with the U.S. over the past couple of decades.
 
What? Are you trying to suggest that smart bombs with cameras don’t have microphones that record the boom?
I'm surprised Trump doesn't say Soleiami died like a dog, cowering and whimpering.

Which BTW is an unsupported slur against dogs.
 
Trump Tweets

“Day after day, really good news on the economy. By the way, this didn’t just happen by accident, it’s the result of a lot of the policies that Donald Trump has put into place. Obviously, the Tax Cut, and now we have these two BIG trade deals.”
@StephenMoore
Great future growth!
 
You could never make money as a Republican consultant.
You don’t understand that for a lot of folks “they will take your guns” is way scarier than “they will eat your children.”

You're right; I have morals and principles.

I have an idiot BIL who believes that crap about the Dems taking away his guns. He's a one issue voter and it's guns.
 
Trump Tweets

They are taking the Democrat Nomination away from Crazy Bernie, just like last time. Some things never change!
 
Trump Tweets

If you listened to the flawed advice of @paulkrugma at the @nytimes, a newspaper that was going broke until I came along, you would have entirely missed the RECORD BREAKING Stock Market (and other) numbers produced since Election Day, 2016. Sorry, those are the FACTS.....

....BUT THE BEST IS YET TO COME!

A massive 200 Billion Dollar Sea Wall, built around New York to protect it from rare storms, is a costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won’t work anyway. It will also look terrible. Sorry, you’ll just have to get your mops & buckets ready!

Another Fake Book by two third rate Washington Post reporters, has already proven to be inaccurately reported, to their great embarrassment, all for the purpose of demeaning and belittling a President who is getting great things done for our Country, at a record clip. Thank you!
 
Trump Tweets

They are taking the Democrat Nomination away from Crazy Bernie, just like last time. Some things never change!
Oh he's got the inside skinny on the Democrats now? :p

Yes, whenever I want to get my political information on the Democrats and their nomination progress, I don't go to C-SPAN or local or national news and media sources of repute. Instead, I go to Donald Trump, serial liar, criminal, bankrupt and patently unhinged lunatic. Much more believable! :rolleyes:
 
Oh he's got the inside skinny on the Democrats now? :p

Yes, whenever I want to get my political information on the Democrats and their nomination progress, I don't go to C-SPAN or local or national news and media sources of repute. Instead, I go to Donald Trump, serial liar, criminal, bankrupt and patently unhinged lunatic. Much more believable! :rolleyes:

Is bankrupteur a word?
If not it should be.
 
You're right; I have morals and principles.

I have an idiot BIL who believes that crap about the Dems taking away his guns. He's a one issue voter and it's guns.

Does he have an explanation for why, when the Dems had a Supermajority his guns weren't taken? Why now would they suddenly have the power they lacked then?

I know, it's a rhetorical question, but I have relatives they believe this too and they never really address that one.
 
Trump Tweets

A massive 200 Billion Dollar Sea Wall, built around New York to protect it from rare storms, is a costly, foolish & environmentally unfriendly idea that, when needed, probably won’t work anyway. [hilie]It will also look terrible. [/hilite]Sorry, you’ll just have to get your mops & buckets ready!
!

What a bizarre mind he has. It is not enough to assert that it won’t work; he has to complain about its appearance. His border wall is beautiful, but a seawall that is supported by Democrats looks terrible. It is impossible for this man to be more shallow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom