• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency: Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife turned the TV on this morning and he was in a presser saying bad stuff about France. While sitting next to Macron. I left the room; I just can't stand it.
A little context here....

Macron suggested NATO was experiencing "brain death" because of U.S. actions (such as withdrawing troops in Syria, allowing Turkey to invade). He also questioned the actions of Turkey, a NATO member who has recently purchased missle systems from Russia. Trump responded with: “I think that’s insulting to a lot of different forces. You just can’t go around making statements like that about NATO. It’s very disrespectful.” (Trump also defended Turkey... ""I like Turkey and I get along very well with the President ... I would hope that he's a very good member of NATO".)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/politics/donald-trump-nato/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...s-democrats-impeachment-push-unpatriotic.html

Now, keep in mind that Trump himself (in addition to his general nationalistic bigotry (e.g. ****-hole countries comment) has attacked NATO itself, calling it 'obsolete'. So for Trump to condemn Macron for his comments regarding NATO is another example of Trump's hypocrisy.
 
A little context here....

Macron suggested NATO was experiencing "brain death" because of U.S. actions (such as withdrawing troops in Syria, allowing Turkey to invade). He also questioned the actions of Turkey, a NATO member who has recently purchased missle systems from Russia. Trump responded with: “I think that’s insulting to a lot of different forces. You just can’t go around making statements like that about NATO. It’s very disrespectful.” (Trump also defended Turkey... ""I like Turkey and I get along very well with the President ... I would hope that he's a very good member of NATO".)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/politics/donald-trump-nato/index.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...s-democrats-impeachment-push-unpatriotic.html

Now, keep in mind that Trump himself (in addition to his general nationalistic bigotry (e.g. ****-hole countries comment) has attacked NATO itself, calling it 'obsolete'. So for Trump to condemn Macron for his comments regarding NATO is another example of Trump's hypocrisy.

Wait...did Trump just affirm NATO?

Well played Macron, or well stumbled into. Treat Trump like a toddler because the same tricks work on him.
 
Trump Tweets

The United States of America supports the brave people of Iran who are protesting for their FREEDOM. We have under the Trump Administration, and always will!
 
Trump Tweets

The United States of America supports the brave people of Iran who are protesting for their FREEDOM. We have under the Trump Administration, and always will!

That sure helps the protestors. The Iranian government has been claiming that the protestors are being prompted by meddling from the US and other western nations.
 
Wait...did Trump just affirm NATO?

Well played Macron, or well stumbled into. Treat Trump like a toddler because the same tricks work on him.

LOL: Macron Uses Toddler Reverse Psychology Trick to Fool Trump Into Supporting NATO

And now Trump is lashing out at Macron. “NATO serves a great purpose,” he declared today. “And I hear that President Macron said NATO is ‘brain dead.’ I think that’s very insulting to a lot of different forces … When you make a statement like that, that is a very, very nasty statement to 28 — including them — 28 countries.”

Manipulating children into doing what you want by pretending to demand they do the opposite thing is a trick most parents learn to use. It usually stops working around the age of 5.
 
After waffling about it first, of course. He had to wait for someone to tell him what he thinks.
The U.S. has a policy of being circumspect in statements about Iranian protests. It doesn't help the protesters to be identified too closely with U.S. endorsement. A lot of Iranians are anti-regime but also anti-U.S. meddling. And Iranians usually stop short of calling for regime change.

That said I don't know the details of current protests. A year or two ago supposed protesters were saying "down with Rouhani," which made no sense at all. I think they turned out to be an Astroturf-type movement organized by rivals.
 
That sure helps the protestors. The Iranian government has been claiming that the protestors are being prompted by meddling from the US and other western nations.
Some protest is tolerated in Iran, but only around the edges. Calling for regime change brings out the riot police. You are right, public U.S. endorsement doesn't really help. IIRC Obama was criticized for making only mildly supportive ststements during 2009 protests.
 
I don't think it's that great. It presumes that, now Trump has said how great NATO is, he'll have to support it to avoid political embarrassment. Well, haven't we learned by now that Trump doesn't know or care about what he might have said yesterday: if he thinks it will benefit him to walk out of NATO, he'll do it regardless of what he said a couple of days before..

I think it's always a great thing to make Trump look like a moron.
 
Appeals Court says Deutsche Bank and Capital One must turn over Trump records to House:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/03/...mp-financial-documents-2nd-circuit/index.html

Who would have thought?
Trump was telling the complete truth when he said his lawyers told him not to release these records - since they will be very different from the ones he gave to the IRS; and the people at the IRS will face actual prison time if they let Trump cheat, knowing that there are contradictory records out there.
 
Appeals Court says Deutsche Bank and Capital One must turn over Trump records to House:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/03/...mp-financial-documents-2nd-circuit/index.html

Who would have thought?
Trump was telling the complete truth when he said his lawyers told him not to release these records - since they will be very different from the ones he gave to the IRS; and the people at the IRS will face actual prison time if they let Trump cheat, knowing that there are contradictory records out there.

So in 2 more years, and a SCOTUS battle it might actually come to fruition!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom