From the study from 2000 that Ziggurat posted:
"in a 1992 survey of American women aged eighteen and older, 13 percent of the respondents reported having been the victim of at least one rape, where rape was defined as unwelcome oral, anal or vaginal penetration achieved through the use or threat of force."
More women acknowledge now they'd been raped than they did in 1992.
Rape is when a woman says no, and continues to say no.
It's also when a woman feels threatened or fears the use of force.
The "threat of force" is ever-present.
I was terribly anxious and confused for many years after several incidents of rape. I never told anyone, except I told one person about the incident my arms were held down while he did it.
Men's fear of having raped a woman affects women's fears of having been raped.
Our fears have so much power over us. They're our survival instincts, along with fight, flight, and ways we assert and defend ourselves. Males and females are very different, due to biology.
People who believe that rape is only a result of violence don't acknowledge that men are stronger than women.
As a runner, I'm painfully aware of the physical "domination" of men in sport, not just in social situations. I was talking to a male friend today who is having chemo for cancer.
He complained to me he'd been feeling great, but after being started on drugs to reduce testosterone, he can't run as fast and "felt terrible" because of that.
When I replied, "Welcome to how the other half live", he said, "I can't believe how many women all say that".
We have this constant fear of being inferior, and of being attacked by something stronger than us, and being unable to outrun it.
The domination of "Man" over "Nature" and the conceptual separation of Man(Human) and Nature is a huge problem in "civilisation" that could lead to one of my Entanglement rants about the climate emergency.
We deny we're "animals" to our own detriment.
When a man won't listen to the words "no", a woman fears male's natural physical strength used against them.
When we say no to a drink, then no to a kiss, then a hug, then a feel...
When does a rape become a rape?
After the first no, the second no, or how many nos?
A woman knows when a man isn't listening to "no" and fears starting an act of physical resistance.
A man is driven by evolutionary psychology to want to be strong, reproduce his genes, release his anxieties about his physical ability to survive. It's not merely about sex.
Men who deny rape can be so worried about admitting they have raped someone, that they are afraid to understand the issues we both face.
Women, too are driven to reproduce (not merely have sex) and often dress to express or protest their status. Dressing "provocatively" to protest rape and inequality is too complicated and cerebral for our human, physical instincts of fight and flight and many of our fear and release impulses.
I feared I'd done something "wrong" by being raped, yet I couldn't understand what, when I didn't enjoy any of it and had tried to protest and wasn't listened to.
Like it or not, we wear less clothes in bed, and can dress as if that's where we "should" be.
Men fear they've done something "wrong" in a situation like a rape.
Can we forgive ourselves for being animals?
Can we forgive ourselves for being animals when we treat so many animals vastly differently?
Can we forgive ourselves for being aggressive when we are so cruel to the guilty?
"in a 1992 survey of American women aged eighteen and older, 13 percent of the respondents reported having been the victim of at least one rape, where rape was defined as unwelcome oral, anal or vaginal penetration achieved through the use or threat of force."
More women acknowledge now they'd been raped than they did in 1992.
Rape is when a woman says no, and continues to say no.
It's also when a woman feels threatened or fears the use of force.
The "threat of force" is ever-present.
I was terribly anxious and confused for many years after several incidents of rape. I never told anyone, except I told one person about the incident my arms were held down while he did it.
Men's fear of having raped a woman affects women's fears of having been raped.
Our fears have so much power over us. They're our survival instincts, along with fight, flight, and ways we assert and defend ourselves. Males and females are very different, due to biology.
People who believe that rape is only a result of violence don't acknowledge that men are stronger than women.
As a runner, I'm painfully aware of the physical "domination" of men in sport, not just in social situations. I was talking to a male friend today who is having chemo for cancer.
He complained to me he'd been feeling great, but after being started on drugs to reduce testosterone, he can't run as fast and "felt terrible" because of that.
When I replied, "Welcome to how the other half live", he said, "I can't believe how many women all say that".
We have this constant fear of being inferior, and of being attacked by something stronger than us, and being unable to outrun it.
The domination of "Man" over "Nature" and the conceptual separation of Man(Human) and Nature is a huge problem in "civilisation" that could lead to one of my Entanglement rants about the climate emergency.
We deny we're "animals" to our own detriment.
When a man won't listen to the words "no", a woman fears male's natural physical strength used against them.
When we say no to a drink, then no to a kiss, then a hug, then a feel...
When does a rape become a rape?
After the first no, the second no, or how many nos?
A woman knows when a man isn't listening to "no" and fears starting an act of physical resistance.
A man is driven by evolutionary psychology to want to be strong, reproduce his genes, release his anxieties about his physical ability to survive. It's not merely about sex.
Men who deny rape can be so worried about admitting they have raped someone, that they are afraid to understand the issues we both face.
Women, too are driven to reproduce (not merely have sex) and often dress to express or protest their status. Dressing "provocatively" to protest rape and inequality is too complicated and cerebral for our human, physical instincts of fight and flight and many of our fear and release impulses.
I feared I'd done something "wrong" by being raped, yet I couldn't understand what, when I didn't enjoy any of it and had tried to protest and wasn't listened to.
Like it or not, we wear less clothes in bed, and can dress as if that's where we "should" be.
Men fear they've done something "wrong" in a situation like a rape.
Can we forgive ourselves for being animals?
Can we forgive ourselves for being animals when we treat so many animals vastly differently?
Can we forgive ourselves for being aggressive when we are so cruel to the guilty?
Last edited: