• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MORE Act. Legal Weed?

Let me make this clear. I haven't, nor has anyone else, ever argued that there are no side effects to marijuana. If you believe that's the case, link to the ******* post. Unless you do that, drop this terrible nonsense. The only argument that I, and others, have presented is to dispute that 1) it's a waste of one's faculties (it's not) 2) your methods are whack as Vanilla Ice.

Link to them because I specifically linked to one that said this claim is complete and total ********. I'll wait.

So who's mind is closed? You read a study and just decided it was bs.
 
So who's mind is closed? You read a study and just decided it was bs.

Yours. Your mind is closed.

I'm basing my statements on factual evidence that is verifiable through a link I provided here. It says that your claim that marijuana lowers IQ is completely false.

On the flip side. You've made a claim, presented **** all to support it, and then continue to make it after being called out (twice) with evidence the refutes it.

So, yes, the answer is still you.
 
Yours. Your mind is closed.

I'm basing my statements on factual evidence that is verifiable through a link I provided here. It says that your claim that marijuana lowers IQ is completely false.

On the flip side. You've made a claim, presented **** all to support it, and then continue to make it after being called out (twice) with evidence the refutes it.

So, yes, the answer is still you.

Try this one then. I'm sure youll dismiss it too.
Of additional interest, those participants who used marijuana from a young age had highly abnormal brain function in areas related to visuo-spatial processing, memory, self-referential activity and reward processing. The study found that early marijuana use was also associated with lower IQ scores.

"These findings suggest that using marijuana does not correct the brain abnormalities or symptoms of depression and using it from an early age may have an abnormal effect not only on brain function, but also on IQ," said Dr. Osuch.


https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161005160733.htm
 
Last edited:
There are negative side effects to marijuana. Most are minor and temporary. With the possible exception of using while your brain is still developing, it doesn't cause permanent effects on the brain or lower your IQ

It is less harmful than most other drugs illegal and legal. With alcohol you have some people who exaggerate or act more drunk than can really be attributed to the drug. Similarly some people who use marijuana exaggerate or act like the stereotypical stoner more than can be attributed to the drug.

Like anything that enters our bodies, different people can be impacted to a different degree. Some people use often and are very responsible, successful, and well adjusted. Some are not. Personally I think it tends to amplify traits a person already has, though as far as I know there is not scientific evidence to back that up. But basically if someone is already a bit lazy or has poor control when it comes to diet, marijuana can exacerbate those traits.

Those who are personally against it tend to inflate the negative effects and those who use it tend to diminish the negative effects.

Regardless it should be legal
 
Last edited:

I don't dismiss it, I'm not sure why it took 3 requests and 5 ******* pages to get it, but at least now your claim is based on something. That being said, this mostly refers to children that smoke (15 and younger according to the study) that have been tracked through their teens to adulthood. Basically, teenagers that smoke while their brains are maturing. Your average adult is going to show no drop in IQ if they smoke, again, according to your study.

Long story short, I'd say drop it. There are scientific claims on both sides of the aisle and I would say it hasn't been confirmed or rejected. So we're basically back to you saying it's a waste of mental faculties and my stance of that being total and complete ********.

It's been a fun thread for sure.
 
There are negative side effects to marijuana. Most are minor and temporary. With the possible exception of using while your brain is still developing, it doesn't cause permanent effects on the brain or lower your IQ

It is less harmful than most other drugs illegal and legal. With alcohol you have some people who exaggerate or act more drunk than can really be attributed to the drug. Similarly some people who use marijuana exaggerate or act like the stereotypical stoner more than can be attributed to the drug.

Like anything that enters our bodies, different people can be impacted to a different degree. Some people use often and are very responsible, successful, and well adjusted. Some are not. Personally I think it tends to amplify traits a person already has, though as far as I know there is not scientific evidence to back that up. But basically if someone is already a bit lazy or has poor control when it comes to diet, marijuana can exacerbate those traits.

Those who are personally against it tend to inflate the negative effects and those who use it tend to diminish the negative effects.

Regardless it should be legal
I know this about both alcohol and cannabis. Both cloud my brain when I used them. Although I never got sick and puked my guts out smoking.
 
I know this about both alcohol and cannabis. Both cloud my brain when I used them. Although I never got sick and puked my guts out smoking.

The best part to me, I've never, ever gotten high and wanted to destroy anything other than a delicious club sandwich.
 
The best part to me, I've never, ever gotten high and wanted to destroy anything other than a delicious club sandwich.

I also never had to break up a fight of two stoners. When I tended bar, it was a regular occurrence. Something about alcohol and testosterone levels of young men that don't mix well.

You also never seem to hear about someone getting stoned and beating his wife.
 
I also never had to break up a fight of two stoners. When I tended bar, it was a regular occurrence. Something about alcohol and testosterone levels of young men that don't mix well.

You also never seem to hear about someone getting stoned and beating his wife.

This reminds me of a comic I drew in high school. It depicted a pot leaf looking person relaxing on a park bench getting harassed by police while in the background there was a beer bottle looking person brutally beating someone.
 
This reminds me of a comic I drew in high school. It depicted a pot leaf looking person relaxing on a park bench getting harassed by police while in the background there was a beer bottle looking person brutally beating someone.

It is basically is why I changed my stance on decriminalization. I use to be very much in favor of keeping it illegal. Not because I thought it was necessarily worse than alchohol. But because I believed that removing the penalties and the stigma would lead to greater use. That we would be making legal another trap for humanity.

I just came to the conclusion that people could and would find that trap anyway. And two, policing, judicial administration and imprisonment as well as the stigma associated with such things is expensive and counterproductive. Cannabis is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. It's like putting your finger in a dike. Not really effective.
 
He has represented an entire culture of people based on the persona of the stereotypical stoner in movies or that he's met. That's statistical in that he's including everyone that smokes weed.

It's like saying that everyone who eats a lot of red meat is going to get cancer. Sure, it's not true of all of them, but statistically they're more at risk. Cue red meat enthousiasts insisting that those posts are BS.
 
I just came to the conclusion that people could and would find that trap anyway. And two, policing, judicial administration and imprisonment as well as the stigma associated with such things is expensive and counterproductive. Cannabis is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. It's like putting your finger in a dike. Not really effective.

This is basically the argument for legalising/decriminalising all drugs - people are going to do them anyway. Legalising them takes control out of the hands of criminals and makes people safer because they can be certain of quality control and purity, and also that they're not taking something even more dangerous than the alternative (see, for example, the "legal highs" controversy from a few years ago in the UK). Treating drug problems as medical problems rather than legal problems is also far more effective at getting people off harmful drugs.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it's a perfect solution, although there are those who espouse it as one. There are inherent problems in legalising everything, and there will always be a black market for things which are perfectly legal.

But the fact of the matter is that these drugs already exist, nobody can wish heroin (for example) out of existence, so the question is "how do we best protect people?" As far as I've ever seen, the best answer is to legalise/decriminalise all recreational drugs, educate people thoroughly about them as early as possible, and treat drug problems as a medical issue.

Oh, incidentally, you don't have to reach very far to find a negative effect of smoking marijuana - it gives you cancer. Smoking anything will likely give you cancer.
 
I wouldn't be at all surprised that smoking some MJ causes cancer, but from most of the articles I've read, the jury is still out. This has a lot to do with the fact that it's difficult to study something that was illegal for so long. Self-reporting isn't very reliable, many people who smoked weed also smoked tobacco, etc. I think, now, with it being legal in many places, the research will be much more sound over the next 10-15 years. And just for measure, while it would seem like a no-brainer that smoking ANYTHING could cause cancer, animal research suggests that some chemicals in marijuana work against tumor growth, which could explain why lung cancer isn’t showing up as often as scientists might expect in people who smoke it.

But yes, at the end of the day, I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that it can cause cancer. While you smoke less of it than you would tobacco, you also hold it in, and you usually smoke the "tarry" part as you don't let any go to waste. As I understand it, the tarry part (resin?) is more dangerous. Tobacco smokers usually throw out a cigarette before smoking this portion.
 
Last edited:
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or, so I have read.
 
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or, so I have read.


Can I just go over these measurements you've given me for this Stonehenge replica..?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom