• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MORE Act. Legal Weed?

Paracetamol worked for me, but I now know how to stop a migraine from reaching the headache stage. No drugs, just a cold shower or some stressful activity.

A healthy diet, plenty of exercise and no drugs keep my body in shape and my mind clear.

Minoosh said:
Andrew Weil studied marijuana...
Andrew Weil
Medical professionals in particular have criticized Weil for promoting treatment claims and alternative medicine practices described as unverified or inefficacious, or for otherwise rejecting aspects of evidence-based medicine...

The late Barry Beyerstein of Simon Fraser University, writing in the journal Academic Medicine in 2001, criticized Weil and various aspects of complementary and alternative medicine, asserting that it held a "magical world-view"; he continued, saying,

On advocating emotional criteria for truth over criteria based on empirical data and logic, New Age medical gurus such as Andrew Weil… have convinced many that 'anything goes'… By denigrating science, these detractors have enlarged the potential following for magical and pseudoscientific health products.
 
I have personally known people that are useless stoned as well as individuals who smoke every day and function just fine. I also know people that drink a lot and even take heroin that are very high functioning.

Christopher Hitchens was one of the most articulate intellectuals and prolific writers in the last 30 years and he drank like a fish. So maybe some people do better under the influence. That said, I'm skeptical that is true except for a minority. I'm of the belief that most of the people who make that claim are rationalizing their own use.

But rationalize away. While I use to be against decriminalization or legalization, I've come full circle and believe that keeping canabis illegal is a waste of time and resources. I also believe there are legitimate medical uses and that its use for pain management should be promoted over opiates.
 
I've smoked pot for most of 35 years. I know I feel better all around when I quit for extended periods - 4 years once. I'm more positive - but that's just me. A lot of people I ask aren't this way, supposedly.

But it's easier to see in other people.

Working in the pot industry is very frustrating because, I'm convinced, they all smoke weed. Duh. This is changing as big money enters but it has a long way to go.

I do graphic design and security at a dispensary. Before that I grew for 8 years, there and for myself.

The HR woman screws up my schedule a lot. Really stupid mistakes. She does a lot of work though and is a smart person, but just the same, lotta mistakes. Most people smoke at lunch and I can always tell. Her too.

People I've dealt with in other dispensaries are just as bad. The people that make the packaging and print for us are dumbasses. I've done work for other printers and these guys are morons. Yes, they package exclusively for pot, in fact "marijuana" is in their business name.

I've dealt with dispensary owners, managers, distributors and it is not like doing business in any other industry. It's flaky as hell. Not everyone, but a lot.

There are times when it is normal. The employees do good work, are super friendly, and are happy while working. It's a very positive environment.

I'll just say that compared to other industries pot stands out to me in a big way as far as flakiness goes. I see it more with management and the decision makers.

But look up how much alcohol costs employers. How many people call in sick Monday, or come in hungover and are less productive. Alcohol and lost productivity is a big deal. How many drink at work? Then you have diseases that are caused by it that cost even more.

Anyone know a person suffering long term physical illness from smoking weed? Liver problems, cancer, wife beaten to death? What are the stats? Are there any? If you say vaping then I'll say it is not the pot that is causing the problems.

I managed a nightclub for five years. Guess who started all the fights, and guess who rarely/never caused any problems at all?

I'm totally pro legal weed. Any time someone complains about it all I have to ask is "do you drink alcohol?"

But as much as I like it, I see a difference while they are using. I can't say how detrimental it is though. I see it every single day. Someone comes back from lunch in a completely different mood - yep, they're high. But is there productivity down? Not sure.

And what does alcohol do to people long term? Can you reverse liver disease or throat cancer if you stop drinking?

And "dumb" is the wrong term. I know if I smoke I'm sometimes "high" at first and sitting at the computer can be a little - I dunno what. Pot is not alcohol though. I can drive on weed, work (though I usually do not), and do just about anything. Walk straight for f's sake!

If people stopped drinking and smoked weed instead it would be a net positive. Less death, less violence, less drunk uncles.

In fact, to hell with all you drinkers shooting, knifing, punching, driving, killing people daily and generally causing mayhem!

YOU should be the focus of threads like this!

YOU are the biggest problem, probably more than all other drug users combined.

Some drinkers are so snobbish towards weed. They have no reason to be.

So yay weed, boo alcohol.
 
Last edited:
:blush:
His marijuana study was way before his guru days. This was at Harvard in the early '60s. He had a couple of major challenges: Even then, he had a hard time finding subjects who had no prior experience with marijuana. Also, Harvard was nervous about providing weed to people who had never had it - afraid of turning squares into hopheads, apparently.

He always struck me as a pretty careful with his claims. I didn't read his later books and was kind of amazed when he became famous, as opposed to his relatively minor fame as the author of "The Natural Mind." That book has an attractive premise: People have a nearly universal desire to experience altered states of consciousness, and while drugs appear to trigger such states, our bodies can make all the chemicals it needs to switch on these various states. Drugs work because they mimic substances we already manufacture. Endorphins being a well-known example. He had a theory that relying on drugs inhibited the production of our own feel-good chemicals. Some truth to that, I think.

I walked on fire at his house. My comfort level in doing so had nothing to do with the "New Age mumbo-jumbo" (Weil's words) that the workshop leader spouted before the actual fire-walking. No, I was fairly confident because Well had an M.D. from Harvard and would know how to dress burns.

I never tried fire-walking without the mumbo-jumbo. I think it's just something we can do, related to the conductivity of heat from glowing embers.
 
I also think this legislation should be a wildly popular bipartisan hit - except that R's will be against it just because D's proposed it.

McConnell was very instrumental in legalizing hemp farming recently. But hemp makes for lousy smoking. The stronger the rope, the weaker the dope.
 
While I use to be against decriminalization or legalization, I've come full circle and believe that keeping canabis illegal is a waste of time and resources. I also believe there are legitimate medical uses and that its use for pain management should be promoted over opiates.
This is all that really matters, in my opinion. You can think pot turns people into flying spaghetti monsters for all I care, as long as you are okay with NOT telling people they can't (safely) do it.
 
This is all that really matters, in my opinion. You can think pot turns people into flying spaghetti monsters for all I care, as long as you are okay with NOT telling people they can't (safely) do it.

You're a better person than I. I despise people spreading, sometimes, misinformation that they think is true based on their own experiences or what they perceive as being the case.

Like I said though, the legalization of marijuana is an inevitability. By next election cycle, even without a federal rescheduling, I believe around 50% of states will have some form of recreational usage (right now it's 11 states plus DC). Perhaps not a bulk of the South, but they're like a different country pretty much anyway. I know no one ever thought it would pass in NoDak but given that Minnesota will probably implement next election cycle, it's usually just a matter of time before NoDak wants that sweet tax money too.

This was a good thread though. Everyone came in with their minds made up and everyone is walking away with the same opinion LoL. I'd say a standard USA politics thread.
 
Florida might get recreational use through during the next election cycle. We needed 60% and had 57% the last time it was on the ballot. But Florida isn't a typical southern state, either.
 
You're a better person than I. I despise people spreading, sometimes, misinformation that they think is true based on their own experiences or what they perceive as being the case.

Like I said though, the legalization of marijuana is an inevitability. By next election cycle, even without a federal rescheduling, I believe around 50% of states will have some form of recreational usage (right now it's 11 states plus DC). Perhaps not a bulk of the South, but they're like a different country pretty much anyway. I know no one ever thought it would pass in NoDak but given that Minnesota will probably implement next election cycle, it's usually just a matter of time before NoDak wants that sweet tax money too.

This was a good thread though. Everyone came in with their minds made up and everyone is walking away with the same opinion LoL. I'd say a standard USA politics thread.

You see, I think you're the one spreading disinformation. I also think you're too optimistic on the speed of legalization for recreational use.
 
You see, I think you're the one spreading disinformation. I also think you're too optimistic on the speed of legalization for recreational use.

What exactly have I said that's disinformation? Just quote what I said, and a link proving me wrong. The only argument against you and your points I've made is that it's a waste of anyone's mental faculties. Which certainly hasn't been proven as I think it's truly opinion based. You made a blanket claim, I don't believe it's true (something you even said when you said "not everyone" in a previous post), and that's about it.

Anyone can look at only the ******* negative affects of any product ever and say it's terrible. It's actually pretty god damned easy to do.

As far as being too optimistic, you can certainly believe that. The speed of recreational legalization tends to favor my outlook, but we'll see.

He might see more clearly if he would just down the bong. Belongs in jail.

If seeing clearly means I view the world like you I'd rather be the dirtiest son of a bitch in the world.

I've been in jail, and worse and I've still come out better than most.
 
Last edited:
He might see more clearly if he would just down the bong. Belongs in jail.

No he doesn't. And as much as I don't like marijuana, I know the consumption of alcohol is a far greater detriment to society than canabis use probably ever could be and it is legal.
 
Are you saying that anything that may have lasting effects on one's health are, de facto, things one should not do?

If one holds this and also that these things should not be illegal, how is that not a good opinion?

That is plenty to class it as a drug though and as such should only be used under the care of a doctor. Anyone who uses caffeine clearly is a drug user, and you have made your stance on that clear.

At this point, it's pretty well-supported that whenever you call something "clear", that's code for "ponderingturtle made it up."
 
If one holds this and also that these things should not be illegal, how is that not a good opinion?


Because, just off the top of my head, you're recommending not doing any of the following:

Running (it's high impact, very detrimental to one's joints and has a risk of chemical dependency)

Rugby and Gridiron, in fact, any contact sport.

Intercontinental travel - Jetlag is terrible for you. As is working nights, or irregular shifts.

And a million other things.


If you decide that you should not do things solely on the basis of their possible negative effects without ever looking at the potential positive effects then you're going to spend a lot of time sitting in an empty room reading a book (but making sure, in advance, that the paper it's printed on isn't sharp enough to cut you)
 
No he doesn't. And as much as I don't like marijuana, I know the consumption of alcohol is a far greater detriment to society than canabis use probably ever could be and it is legal.

He's basically trolling at this point, you're better off ignoring him. I have seen little, if any, genuine discord in his 400 posts. Most are attention grabbers to rile people up.
 
Because, just off the top of my head, you're recommending not doing any of the following:

Running (it's high impact, very detrimental to one's joints and has a risk of chemical dependency)

Rugby and Gridiron, in fact, any contact sport.

Intercontinental travel - Jetlag is terrible for you. As is working nights, or irregular shifts.

And a million other things.

Ah, yes. The all-or-nothing logic.

No one said that you shouldn't do anything that could ever potentially have negative effects. But you knew that.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom