• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

MORE Act. Legal Weed?

You think that will change my mind about people taking drugs? FYI: My neighbor who lives directly across the street owns and operates a store that sells cannabis.

There's nothing that will change your mind, and I think that's the point. No matter what is presented your mind is already made up, there's nothing new that will change it.

Which, as has been pointed out, is the polar opposite of skepticism.
 
You think that will change my mind about people taking drugs? FYI: My neighbor who lives directly across the street owns and operates a store that sells cannabis.
I don't know what will change your mind, if it needs to be changed. I think what a store visit might do - especially if you approach it openly - is provide you with some information about marijuana prices and perhaps some insights into the people who use that particular store (how often they come in, why they select particular products, etc.).

Again, this just seems like a natural thing to do for anyone who has strong opinions about something and who is smart enough to be curious. The stores are all over the place, open to the public (21+ years old), and, again, are perfectly safe.

I'd also suggest buying an edible (something simple, a single serving/dose) while you're there and give it a try some weekend evening when you're not doing anything in a particular...but you obviously don't seem open to that.
 
I don't know what will change your mind, if it needs to be changed. I think what a store visit might do - especially if you approach it openly - is provide you with some information about marijuana prices and perhaps some insights into the people who use that particular store (how often they come in, why they select particular products, etc.).

Again, this just seems like a natural thing to do for anyone who has strong opinions about something and who is smart enough to be curious. The stores are all over the place, open to the public (21+ years old), and, again, are perfectly safe.

I'd also suggest buying an edible (something simple, a single serving/dose) while you're there and give it a try some weekend evening when you're not doing anything in a particular...but you obviously don't seem open to that.

I don't think a store visit asking cannabis pushers about the effects of cannabis use should be used to change one's mind about the effects of drugs. Or maybe you can't see the bias there? And I've been to my neighbor's store.

What is THC? It's a drug. Specifically designed to affect brain chemistry. Question asked and answered.
 
I don't think a store visit asking cannabis pushers about the effects of cannabis use should be used to change one's mind about the effects of drugs. Or maybe you can't see the bias there? And I've been to my neighbor's store.

What is THC? It's a drug. Specifically designed to affect brain chemistry. Question asked and answered.

Cool. Good for you.
 
I don't think a store visit asking cannabis pushers about the effects of cannabis...

So you never, ever ask questions while you're shopping for stuff in a store? You never ask a salesman when buying a vehicle? Never ask a technician when you're buying a computer?

Logic!
 
There's nothing that will change your mind, and I think that's the point. No matter what is presented your mind is already made up, there's nothing new that will change it.

Which, as has been pointed out, is the polar opposite of skepticism.

Should I just lay back in a cloud of smoke and get stoned then? Is that the answer?

My personal belief is that taking drugs whether it is alcohol, nocotine, cannabis, cocaine, ecstacy, meth, lsd or opiates is inherently dangerous. Not that some, maybe even most people can take, even enjoy them and not suffer negative effects. But you cannot tell ahead of time who is going to like that drug too much. Who can take it and then leave it and who becomes obsessed and the drug takes over their lives.

Cannabis is very likely one of the least worrisome drug. That said, I'm not interested in tempting fate. This is why abstain from drugs of any kind. They scare the hell out of me.
 
Last edited:
So you never, ever ask questions while you're shopping for stuff in a store? You never ask a salesman when buying a vehicle? Never ask a technician when you're buying a computer?

Logic!

Sure, but I don't take the word of a salesman as Gospel.
 
As you know weed is legal in all of Canada now ... I live down town in a small city, and hang out with younger crowd, percentage wise I know maybe 3 people who do NOT use weed occasionally or daily.

The legalization has done nothing except (and I think VERY importantly) remove jail time and heavy fines out of the equation.
 
As you know weed is legal in all of Canada now ... I live down town in a small city, and hang out with younger crowd, percentage wise I know maybe 3 people who do NOT use weed occasionally or daily.

The legalization has done nothing except (and I think VERY importantly) remove jail time and heavy fines out of the equation.

That probably has as much to do with the people you associate with then anything. It also "seems" to suggest that the legalization has led to increased use.
 
Last edited:
My personal belief is that taking drugs whether it is alcohol, nocotine, cannabis, cocaine, ecstacy, meth, lsd or opiates is inherently dangerous.

Are rock climbing and skydiving not?

I mean, you're free to whatever opinion you want to have, but earlier in the threat you were praising "natural" sources of stimulation like climbing and skydiving. I like climbing, too, but it's (IMO) ridiculous to pretend like it's less dangerous than ingesting THC (except maybe on an artificial wall where you can control pretty much everything). Part of the enjoyment from those activities (along with roller coasters and the like) specifically comes from the over-stimulation associated with the threat of death. Hell, climbers die every year. I'm with you on the hard drugs being dangerous, but to criticize pot as inherently dangerous and praise potentially deadly activities as better alternatives because they're more "natural" is a damn interesting take.
 
Last edited:
Are rock climbing and skydiving not?

I mean, you're free to whatever opinion you want to have, but earlier in the threat you were praising "natural" sources of stimulation like climbing and skydiving. I like climbing, too, but it's (IMO) ridiculous to pretend like it's less dangerous than ingesting THC (except maybe on an artificial wall where you can control pretty much everything). Part of the enjoyment from those activities (along with roller coasters and the like) specifically comes from the over-stimulation associated with the threat of death. Hell, climbers die every year. I'm with you on the hard drugs being dangerous, but to criticize pot as inherently dangerous and praise potentially deadly activities as better alternatives because they're more "natural" is a damn interesting take.
I'd say "absurd" and rooted in the acceptance of around 100 years of anti-marijuana nonsense.
 
I don't think a store visit asking cannabis pushers about the effects of cannabis use should be used to change one's mind about the effects of drugs. Or maybe you can't see the bias there? And I've been to my neighbor's store.

What is THC? It's a drug. Specifically designed to affect brain chemistry. Question asked and answered.

And, sometimes change in brain chemistry is necessary. I've used pot on and off since the late 60's. It was never a big deal in my life and I went long periods of not using, even years between.

Now, I use it daily by ingesting it. Living in California, rurally, I never have to buy it, and make my own products. Since I began in the past couple of years, I have:

Eliminated 4 different scrips for high blood pressure.
Reduced the amount of pain medicine I take for a battered spine.
Sleep better.
Get more done.

"Specifically designed to affect brain chemistry".

Yep, and I am grateful for that.

You aren't really asking and answering a question. You are stating a fact, giving it negative innuendo.
 
Hello goose, may I introduce you to this gander?

You hang around with Democrats, you're not going to know many Republicans. I use to play a lot of golf. Too much. I even at one time belonged to a Country Club. I was surrounded by Republicans who didn't have a clue that I was a Democrat. On the same note, you hang around with people who smoke pot, the fewer the people you know that don't. His impression was anecdotal was it not?

I've admitted that my opinions have been informed by my experiences and this is imperfect data. I'm not saying that Ron was wrong but there was maybe a variable he wasn't accounting for.
 
You hang around with Democrats, you're not going to know many Republicans. I use to play a lot of golf. Too much. I even at one time belonged to a Country Club. I was surrounded by Republicans who didn't have a clue that I was a Democrat. On the same note, you hang around with people who smoke pot, the fewer the people you know that don't. His impression was anecdotal was it not?

I've admitted that my opinions have been informed by my experiences and this is imperfect data. I'm not saying that Ron was wrong but there was maybe a variable he wasn't accounting for.

Yes, you've admitted that your opinions are based on anecdotes and ignorance. Kudos. Once you further acknowledge that the fear you say you have about marijuana is irrational, you might be a bit less strident about your uninformed opinions.
 
Are rock climbing and skydiving not?

I mean, you're free to whatever opinion you want to have, but earlier in the threat you were praising "natural" sources of stimulation like climbing and skydiving. I like climbing, too, but it's (IMO) ridiculous to pretend like it's less dangerous than ingesting THC (except maybe on an artificial wall where you can control pretty much everything). Part of the enjoyment from those activities (along with roller coasters and the like) specifically comes from the over-stimulation associated with the threat of death. Hell, climbers die every year. I'm with you on the hard drugs being dangerous, but to criticize pot as inherently dangerous and praise potentially deadly activities as better alternatives because they're more "natural" is a damn interesting take.

Your point is fair. I just have one hell of a lot of very negative experiences associated with relatives/friends and drugs including cannabis. I've been to my share of funerals as a result of friend's overdosing.

I don't take drugs unless they are prescribed by a doctor and even then I'm extremely reluctant. I'll take a certain amount of pain over possible addiction.

Let me tell you a boring story. About ten years ago I had minor surgery and was prescribed oxycodone for post surgical pain. I tried not to take any of the prescription, but at one point the pain became unbearable so I took it. Whoah! That stuff is amazing. I loved it. And after I got about halfway through my prescription I threw it away. That stuff is dangerous.
 
Yes, you've admitted that your opinions are based on anecdotes and ignorance. Kudos. Once you further acknowledge that the fear you say you have about marijuana is irrational, you might be a bit less strident about your uninformed opinions.

Yeah, you watch 8 brothers and sisters morph into morons who care more about getting high than anything else and get back to me.
 
And, sometimes change in brain chemistry is necessary. I've used pot on and off since the late 60's. It was never a big deal in my life and I went long periods of not using, even years between.

Now, I use it daily by ingesting it. Living in California, rurally, I never have to buy it, and make my own products. Since I began in the past couple of years, I have:

Eliminated 4 different scrips for high blood pressure.
Reduced the amount of pain medicine I take for a battered spine.
Sleep better.
Get more done.

"Specifically designed to affect brain chemistry".

Yep, and I am grateful for that.

You aren't really asking and answering a question. You are stating a fact, giving it negative innuendo.

I'm not trying to say that certain drugs don't help some people. Cannabis for example seems to make a hell of a lot more sense than opioids for pain management. And I strongly support its use for medical purposes (I can't understand why anyone would oppose the use of an effective drug over a less effective addictive drug)
 
But on a personal level, I hate drugs. Taking any drug including marijuana other than for medical purposes seems a waste of one's mental faculties. That said, I think that canabis should not be illegal and it's a waste of government resources to police it.
Including alcohol I assume?
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom