Belz...
Fiend God
If you're not seeing Money's defintion of gender role, forget it. I'm out of spoons.
Fine. If you can't make your point yourself, consider it dismissed.
If you're not seeing Money's defintion of gender role, forget it. I'm out of spoons.
I think the problem with the 3 questions is that the 1st question basically jumps straight to the conclusion
but as you point out the key question is actually under which circumstances should we exclude people from spaces and with what justifications.
Such as on a deserted late night subway train! Much more so than a shopping mall toilet certainly.
Talk about being locked on your conclusion!
You can't start from there.Yes. There's still plenty of room for disagreement, and each answer has plenty of room for answers that go beyond simple statements or binary judgements.
ETA: I actually gave this some more thought, and I considered whether or how to apply the framework to specific circumstances, but I won't elaborate at this time. Perhaps later. What it really is doing is asking, first, do we even care who is a man and who is a woman? Second, if we do care, how do we figure it out? Third, once we've figured it out, do we allow exceptions? Some people might see some conflict between questions 2 and 3 in some circumstances, but we'll go into it if interest develops.
Maybe because many of them know that if there are segregated changing rooms, thing can get a bit awkward whatever door they take.Why wouldn't they?
Again you are speaking for a majority of group of people while not showing that you have talked to even one.In most cases, trans people (snip)
Again you are speaking for a majority of group of people while not showing that you have talked to even one.
Spoon:If you're not seeing Money's defintion of gender role, forget it. I'm out of spoons.
The term gender role was coined by John Money in a seminal 1955 paper where he defined it as "all those things that a person says or does to disclose himself or herself as having the status of boy or man, girl or woman."
Sociology of gender - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Sociology_of_gender
He's claiming "a vast majority" of them hold an opinion he agrees with.He's speaking about them, not for them.
He's claiming "a vast majority" of them hold an opinion he agrees with.
Sorry, i meant to add more to my post but caught up with something else.What's also interesting is that she seems to have been doing it for money, to sell the results to perverted men. Highly unpleasant, but if you caught her she's not going to attack you, she has no interest in sexually assaulting you. She's going to run.
I think Polka is suggesting that because vanishingly rare cases like this occur it's not worth trying to police our spaces at all and we might as well just let them cut out the middle-man - or middle-woman in this case - and let the pervs take their own dirty photos.
He's claiming "a vast majority" of them hold an opinion he agrees with.
It occurs to me that the three question framework also addresses quite nicely comparisons with racial segregation.
I think the comparison with racial segregation is fully addressed by simply noting that the reason for racial segregation is objectively false (for example black people are not more "brutish" than white people, etc) and hence only based on damaging stereotypes whereas the reason for sex segregation is objectively true (for example males are vastly more likely to engage in "perviness" in public changing rooms etc).
You can't start from there.
At the moment the answer is "yes we do care who is a man or who is a woman".
People who perhaps want everyone to be treated the same may wish we didn't but that isn't our society at the moment.
So if you want to discuss what we could actually do you have to start from where we are now.
I would be interested to know how many people in a population commit sexual crimes?
Had a quick look but couldn't find anything.
The reason why I'm interested is,
if this 2% women v 98% men pervert thing is correct, but for instance there's only 0.1% of the population that commit sexual crimes in the first place, then there would be little reason for anyone to be worried about bumping into perverts at your local amenities anyway?
What is the overall pervert v non-pervert percentages in a population, if it's really low then that might make worried women less likely to be worried about this. There would be little chance of anyone you interact with being a pervert.
"Creepy" and "commit sexual crimes" being essentially the same thing, of course.Polka, I don't know what sex you are but if you don't know that creepy men are all over the place I doubt if you're a woman or have ever been a girl.
"Creepy" and "commit sexual crimes" being essentially the same thing, of course.
I've seen the "creep" accusation thrown at bascially every dude tryna score at TAM.There's also a difference between "creepy as in I assume all men I see are doing something creepy, even if I can't always put my finger on what it might be, as a basic safety measure" and "creepy as in that man right there is clearly acting like a creep".