Meadmaker
Unregistered
- Joined
- Apr 27, 2004
- Messages
- 29,033
Which is a good reason for not designating ladies' rooms constructed in that way as mixed-sex, no?
Absolutely. It's bizarre to me that someone might be surprised at the result.
Which is a good reason for not designating ladies' rooms constructed in that way as mixed-sex, no?
I see your point, but wanting to watch women who are complete strangers undress to use the toilet? Really? There's also the point about menstrual fetishism, which I think may be a significant part of this.
I would like to see a proponent of trans access to cis-gendfered spaces address this conundrum head-on. No quibbling about definitions. No repetition of the legal and social barriers in place today. No whining about transphobia. No dismissing the questioner as paranoid. Just answer the questions: Should we remove the legal and social barriers against men in women's spaces, in order to better welcome transwomen into ciswomen's spaces? Are you prepared to address the concerns and the trade-offs that would arise from such a policy?
Because it sucks. People have enough to deal with in life, without having to be challenged for identity papers just to use a public restroom. If we can figure out a way to ease that for people, we should.Why not?
Already addressed.First of all, women don't declare anything in order to go. They just do.
Already addressed, at length, repeatedly in this thread.Second, and this is important, trans women are not women. They are trans women; hence the different name. The whole question should be how to give access to trans women and trans men to this or that. Whether they're actually women or men is already answered, unless you change the definitions involved.
Neither surgery nor hormone treatment are requirements, there are no medical requirements other than a doctor's note confirming that you have gender dysphoria, you don't have to change anything about your body to get a GRC under current law.
Not necessarily. A significant part of the complaints in the UK (from the data posted upthread) are about harassment outside of the stalls themselves.
There's also the concern that a male may (legitimately) hang around in the common area outside the stalls until a woman or girl goes into a stall, and there's nobody else around. The woman or girl may then, when she opens the door, be forced back inside and the door shut while an assault takes place in this nice private space with floor-to-ceiling partitions and door. It has happened.
If it's illegitimate for a male to be hanging around in there, this danger is significantly lessened.
I don't know. I don't really have an ideological dog in this fight. I don't care about the definition of who gets to be a 'real' man or woman. It'd be nice if we, as a society, could accommodate trans folks by letting them use the bathroom of their choice.
But if this really does lead to an increase of attacks on women, it sounds like a bad idea.
We'd need data from places where trans people are already free to choose their own bathroom in order to draw a conclusion.
My intuition is that there's a lot of scaremongering in this thread and that there won't be a real increase in risk of assault. Other posters believe otherwise.
I don't know. I don't really have an ideological dog in this fight. I don't care about the definition of who gets to be a 'real' man or woman. It'd be nice if we, as a society, could accommodate trans folks by letting them use the bathroom of their choice.
Are you 100% sure the stalls were floor to ceiling partitioned? That doesn't really sound right. It sound like the stalls that are not floor to ceiling partitioned have assaults in the common area.
I just can't imagine the creeps finding the floor to ceiling partitioned showers very interesting to even scope out for long.
There have been a number of incidents. I couldn't swear to the exact configuration of any given facility.
If someone is hanging around just in the hope of getting a voyeuristic fix in somewhere with floor-to-ceiling partitions then he may be out of luck. However if his intentions are much more sinister than that and he's actually looking for somewhere to commit an actual sexual assault, such a configuration may actually make it easier.
There have been a number of incidents. I couldn't swear to the exact configuration of any given facility.
If someone is hanging around just in the hope of getting a voyeuristic fix in somewhere with floor-to-ceiling partitions then he may be out of luck. However if his intentions are much more sinister than that and he's actually looking for somewhere to commit an actual sexual assault, such a configuration may actually make it easier.
I read somewhere of an incident where a woman opening the door of a stall to exit into the common grooming area found a man standing right outside the stall, "in her face" as it were. She shut the door, waited a few moments, then tried again. Still there. There was nobody else around.
I don't remember the details. I don't remember if he was actually exposing himself or not. I don't think she was actually assaulted. I don't remember how she got out of it.
This is not something that happened before this craze for "gender neutral" everything. But it's happening now. Women are telling each other about things that have happened, and awareness and alarm are heightening. Women are getting scared, and starting to avoid public toilets.
All this because a tiny number of males are whining about hurt feelings so we have to change everything to accommodate them, and to hell with women's comfort or safety.
I somehow doubt such admirable standards will be universal in such facilities. And indeed, you seem unusually relaxed about sharing intimate spaces with males. Do you think that women and girls who aren't so relaxed don't deserve any consideration? Why does everything have to be re-built/repurposed/rearranged to suit the comfort of the tiny number of transwomen, but the comfort of 50% of the population doesn't merit any consideration?
Well, you know, when someone relates an incident which is all too believable and which absolutely could occur, should we say, well I can't prove that happened, it's just an anecdote, so it's not something I should ever worry about happening?.
I'm not saying there's been no increase, by the way. But be aware that the anecdotes in the cases where people are getting alarmed in groups are very prone to be false.
Because it sucks. People have enough to deal with in life, without having to be challenged for identity papers just to use a public restroom. If we can figure out a way to ease that for people, we should.
I'll repeat what I said before.
Feel free to disregard the issue of if the anecdotes are actually true, if you wish.