• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greta has, rightly so, looked at the science of risks runaway climate change poses. Perhaps you should do her the courtesy of looking at what the scientists are saying.

You seem to assume the poster hasn't.

Greta

Maybe they have


Greta
 
<snip>

Polling found 51% of people aged 18-34 think global warming will pose a serious threat during their lifetime versus 47% of people aged 35 to 54 and only 29% of people 55 and older. Serious threat are strong words. This isn't about having to run the AC X number of additional hours per summer. This is about survival of the species.


There's a certain logic to the differences in those percentages when the phrase "during their lifetime" is taken into account.

I don't expect to see the worst of the effects of human caused climate change during my lifetime, but then I don't have all that much of it left, comparatively.

My grandchildren, on the other hand, one of whom won't be born until next spring, are far more likely to see extreme negative consequences.
 
There's a certain logic to the differences in those percentages when the phrase "during their lifetime" is taken into account.

I don't expect to see the worst of the effects of human caused climate change during my lifetime, but then I don't have all that much of it left, comparatively.

My grandchildren, on the other hand, one of whom won't be born until next spring, are far more likely to see extreme negative consequences.

Yet you probably (not accusation. Assumption)

Still fly in a plane to see them and drive a petrol powered car.


Same with lionking and SG
 
Yet you probably (not accusation. Assumption)

Still fly in a plane to see them and drive a petrol powered car.


Same with lionking and SG

This post is pure crap. You are the one who doesn’t see a serious threat and have stated that 1 degree average warming is no big deal. I see a serious threat even though I won’t see the worst of it. My grandchildren will though and if something doesn’t happen soon they will look on earlier generations with contempt.
 
Last edited:
This post is pure crap. You are the one who doesn’t see a serious threat and have stated that 1 degree average warming is no big deal. I see a serious threat even though I won’t see the worst of it. My grandchildren will though and if something doesn’t happen soon they will look on earlier generations with contempt.

So stop flying and driving petrol cars.


Consumption is driven by demand, not supply
 
That's just wrong. Have you tried buying any rhino horns lately? Diamonds?



And price. Put a price on CO2. Let the marketplace sort it out.

They already tried that with carbon credits and all it did was mean someone pays some cash so they can still emit the same amounts, and no one seems to know where the actual cash went, and call it "Off setting"

This is going off topic again anyway so I should shut up.

As even though everyone else seems to be doing (see the last two pages), I seem to be the only one moved to AAH.

TBF If I wasnt such an idiot, I would stop replying to other peoples off topic posts

Ohh

And Greta
 
So stop flying and driving petrol cars....
As my son wisely said, climate change is not going to be solved by people avoiding plastic straws.

I do what I can but real change requires big governments and corporations making big changes.
 
As my son wisely said, climate change is not going to be solved by people avoiding plastic straws.

I do what I can but real change requires big governments and corporations making big changes.

TBF I still have no idea what not recycling has to do with the climate.

Plastic straws are more with those stupid plastic 6 pack can holders, and dumped plastic bags.

It is a environmental wildlife thing, that I doubt even the stupidest climate deniers disagree needs sorting.

When you have animals being autopsied and their guts are full of plastic or animals that got a 6 pack holder stuck round their neck as they grew it is a bit too ugly to argue about.
 
Last edited:
There's a certain logic to the differences in those percentages when the phrase "during their lifetime" is taken into account...

That's an interesting point, I noticed that too. Of course, to look at this --"global warming will pose a serious threat during their lifetime" -- a different way, almost half of everyone polled under the age of 55 thinks it WILL pose s serious threat during their lifetime. Despite some of what has been posted here, I think we have gotten to a point where climate change and the human causes for it are widely accepted as being real. That's encouraging.

I mentioned before, about fifteen years ago a co-worker told me he was very concerned about the threat climate change posed. He too didn't think it would effect him (he was already well past 60, in fact he may no longer be around), but he was greatly concerned for his grandkids whom he absolutely adored. He was a metallurgical engineer and, being from a technical background, the science looked pretty convincing to him. He was also a member of a Republican county committee in one of the suburban counties. He told me, at committee meetings, "You can't get them to even discuss climate change. They just don't want to hear about it. Period." He was very upset about that.
 
As my son wisely said, climate change is not going to be solved by people avoiding plastic straws.

I do what I can but real change requires big governments and corporations making big changes.

No, of course it won't, duh.

Could you imagine what would happen if all those people who thought Thunberg was the bees knees decided to top flying ? If half those kids at the school strikes decided not to get their driver's licenses and biked everywhere ?

Isn't going to happen now is it ?

Everybody is "concerned" about climate change as long as it doesn't inconvenience them or have a negative impact on their lifestyle.
 
No, of course it won't, duh.

Could you imagine what would happen if all those people who thought Thunberg was the bees knees decided to top flying ? If half those kids at the school strikes decided not to get their driver's licenses and biked everywhere ?

Isn't going to happen now is it ?

Everybody is "concerned" about climate change as long as it doesn't inconvenience them or have a negative impact on their lifestyle.
It is happening.

It is early days yet admittedly, and while Thunberg may not have begun the movement, she has helped advertise it.
Corporations and governments are reacting to people deciding on alternative transport to flying.
 
It is happening.

It is early days yet admittedly, and while Thunberg may not have begun the movement, she has helped advertise it.
Corporations and governments are reacting to people deciding on alternative transport to flying.

So we can have your pledge now to never fly on a plane again EHocking?
 
That's an interesting point, I noticed that too. Of course, to look at this --"global warming will pose a serious threat during their lifetime" -- a different way, almost half of everyone polled under the age of 55 thinks it WILL pose s serious threat during their lifetime. Despite some of what has been posted here, I think we have gotten to a point where climate change and the human causes for it are widely accepted as being real. That's encouraging.

I mentioned before, about fifteen years ago a co-worker told me he was very concerned about the threat climate change posed. He too didn't think it would effect him (he was already well past 60, in fact he may no longer be around), but he was greatly concerned for his grandkids whom he absolutely adored. He was a metallurgical engineer and, being from a technical background, the science looked pretty convincing to him. He was also a member of a Republican county committee in one of the suburban counties. He told me, at committee meetings, "You can't get them to even discuss climate change. They just don't want to hear about it. Period." He was very upset about that.
I don't get that. You don't need a lot of humanity in you to consider what may happen to your children and their children. The world view of a lot of people seems to be very limited in its scope.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom