• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The oceans are in a state of emergency. Entire marine ecosystems are vanishing with the warming of the seas, and as the waste of our world empties into our waters, we face the devastating crisis of plastic pollution.

“We are a disease that is infecting our planet.”

“The people will hold our governments and corporate powers accountable for the destruction you are allowing to our environment.”

I wonder if Jason Momoa will get the vilification that Thunberg gets for saying more or less the same thing?

https://nerdist.com/article/jason-momoa-united-nations-climate-speech/
 
"Someone give her back her dreams and childhood for f***sake."

I would if I could but I burned them up on a fishing trip back in 2014. But then I remembered I had a Greenpeace sticker on the back bumper of that truck and I voted for the Green Party in 1983, so, don't got 'em, sorry.

But if I should happen to run across them. Maybe I'll find them on an upcoming trip to Bali. Only 46 hours in the air :thumbsup: but I negated that carbon by going to the protest on Friday, even took my own cup to Starbucks. Damn I'm green.
 
“The oceans are in a state of emergency. Entire marine ecosystems are vanishing with the warming of the seas, and as the waste of our world empties into our waters, we face the devastating crisis of plastic pollution.

“We are a disease that is infecting our planet.”

“The people will hold our governments and corporate powers accountable for the destruction you are allowing to our environment.”

I wonder if Jason Momoa will get the vilification that Thunberg gets for saying more or less the same thing?

https://nerdist.com/article/jason-momoa-united-nations-climate-speech/
Why do you hate Aquaman?
 
I don't think there are a lot of people who:
a) support the mainstream view of climate change
b) aren't listening to the scientists about it
c) are moved by Thunberg to listen to the scientists
Specifically, I don't think there are enough people at that intersection to move the needle on climate change policy, nor on climate change itself.

Why? Do you think there are?
Or are you thinking of people who don't support the mainstream view, but have been moved by Thunberg? Because I don't think they're a significant demographic, either.

But if you have data to replace my speculation, let's have it.

Happened in Europe so will probably be ignored by US people.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/eur...austrian-election-result-20190930-p52w86.html

Two days after rallying 7 million protesters across the world by invoking the threat of climate change, Greta Thunberg was credited for motivating voters to redraw the political landscape in Austria.

After being frozen out of parliament just two years ago, the Alpine country's Greens unexpectedly tripled their support in Sunday's election to win 14 per cent of the vote, according to preliminary projections. The result sets up the group as a viable coalition partner for Sebastian Kurz's People's Party and shows how environmental concerns are moving to the top of the political agenda in Europe.

But keep on believing that nobody is listening and votes won’t swing over the issue. Get used to these results around the world.
 
Lol

My inner respecto-meter reading for Greta just shot up 1 or 2 notches.

She has a sense of humour

Pretty funny video (in the article)

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/ente...g-death-metal-only-after-un-speech-remix.html

Greta Thunberg says she's now 'doing death metal only' after UN speech remix

An intense metal version of Greta Thunberg's iconic speech is being widely shared online and may have even inspired the climate change activist to pursue a musical career.

The 16-year-old's impassioned plea at the United Nations Climate Change Summit last week was remixed by YouTuber 'John Mollusk', who added backing track and redid the speech with guttural metal vocals.

In just a few days, the clip has clocked up over 3.2 million views and shared by many on social media - including Thunberg herself.

"I have moved on from this climate thing... from now on, I will be doing death metal only!" she jokingly tweeted.
 
Another badge of honour for Greta. Pissing off RT is a fantastic positive test of credibility.

Whilst I am sure Russia are just as bad as Trump at slagging her off. I wouldn't mine seeing an actual translation of the articles in question rather than just images of newspaper articles, and a translation from your far left source site.
 
Whilst I am sure Russia are just as bad as Trump at slagging her off. I wouldn't mine seeing an actual translation of the articles in question rather than just images of newspaper articles, and a translation from your far left source site.
You could just do what I did and follow the link in the article.
 
Seriously? You don't remember that David Hogg kid? I guess he's forgotten now that his 15 minutes are up. And so will Greta.

People also complained that he must be manipulated and coached by adults because there's no way a kid could possibly be that upset about gun-proliferation in America just because he survived a school massacre. The parallels are quite striking actually.
 
People also complained that he must be manipulated and coached by adults because there's no way a kid could possibly be that upset about gun-proliferation in America just because he survived a school massacre. The parallels are quite striking actually.

This.

It's really quite sad.
 
People also complained that he must be manipulated and coached by adults because there's no way a kid could possibly be that upset about gun-proliferation in America just because he survived a school massacre. The parallels are quite striking actually.

What is this weird insistence on giving people screentime because they care a lot about something?

I feel the same way about that as when local news reporters stand outside the place where the event happened....it adds nothing to the conversation.
 
People also complained that he must be manipulated and coached by adults because there's no way a kid could possibly be that upset about gun-proliferation in America just because he survived a school massacre. The parallels are quite striking actually.

This.

It's really quite sad.


The bulk of the objections to Thunberg's activities are just variations on the old "crisis actor" hand-wave that right-wingers are so inordinately fond of these days.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom