• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, cool. Thunberg is 14 16 years old. Say her audience is about the same. Assuming a voting age of 18, these votes will start coming online in about two years. How soon after that do you think we'll start seeing am impact on climate change policy? And how soon after that do you think we'll start seeing an impact on climate change itself?

Sorry Moonbeam theprestige, her audience is a bit broader than that. Everyone I know who went to one of the marches was older than her, but younger than me. Which is a pretty wide range.
 
Okay, so on average we can expect the Thunberg vote to come online sooner than 2 years. That's good news, at least.

Except under 25s are notoriously lazy when it comes to actually getting off their ***** and voting.

It is all very well getting a buzz from watching them all getting into the latest fad that is "Go Greta!" for a day off school, but in a few years down the line they will most likely be the same as any other first time voter who doesn't end up voting.
 
One of the criticisms of the celebration of Thunberg is that she's being celebrated for preaching to the choir. If the goal is to convert the people you're dependent on on for the change you need, then Thunberg is basically a no-op.

Because no one that isn't in the choir is listening to the news? :confused:

The thing about climate change is it's not going anywhere. Used to be the deniers were in larger numbers, announcing that snowballs in Congress proved it was fake news made up to get grant money.

You don't hear much of that anymore. Some but not at the same decibel levels. Now it's more news of ice melting, flooding, drought and stronger hurricanes. People simply will have no choice but to start paying attention to the scientists.

Greta is a movement catalyst at the right time.
 
How many of them were just using it as an excuse to skip school? I know that's why I went to a student protest during highschool. Nominally it was about some budget cuts, but I didn't know or care about the details. It was just a nice change of pace for me.
I can see why you wouldn't have any enthusiasm for such a school strike. I don't think that anecdote is in any way evidence that applies to the current student protests.
 
What can I say

You got me

You are amazing.

The only reason I find her irritating is the kid is a female.

It has zero to do with the fact she over acts for the cameras

And the inability to see the misogyny in such a charge goes right along with it.

Care to name a teen boy protesting that one hears similar complaints about an irritating voice?
 
I can see why you wouldn't have any enthusiasm for such a school strike. I don't think that anecdote is in any way evidence that applies to the current student protests.

I don't think there was a single student in the whole school who actually understood the school budget, how much money was on the line, what impact it would actually have, or how tax increases would affect the city.

I wonder how that might apply in the current situation.
 
And the inability to see the misogyny in such a charge goes right along with it.

Kafkatrapping. How original.

Care to name a teen boy protesting that one hears similar complaints about an irritating voice?

Seriously? You don't remember that David Hogg kid? I guess he's forgotten now that his 15 minutes are up. And so will Greta.
 
And the inability to see the misogyny in such a charge goes right along with it.

Care to name a teen boy protesting that one hears similar complaints about an irritating voice?

Was thinking about that earlier.

I actually have never seen one.

There was some young dude who was interviewed the other day that seemed fairly odd.

I can give an example of normal, not over acting young females though.

Greta - Irritating
These 2 - Not irritating

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nati...of-schools-intimidation-organisers/ar-BBUMAkh
 
Let's get this straight; are some of you locals actually saying you find Thunberg to be "genuine"?

If so, a genuine what, exactly?
 
Because no one that isn't in the choir is listening to the news? : confused :
I don't think there are a lot of people who:
a) support the mainstream view of climate change
b) aren't listening to the scientists about it
c) are moved by Thunberg to listen to the scientists
Specifically, I don't think there are enough people at that intersection to move the needle on climate change policy, nor on climate change itself.

Why? Do you think there are?

Or are you thinking of people who don't support the mainstream view, but have been moved by Thunberg? Because I don't think they're a significant demographic, either.

But if you have data to replace my speculation, let's have it.
 
I don't think there are a lot of people who:
a) support the mainstream view of climate change
b) aren't listening to the scientists about it
c) are moved by Thunberg to listen to the scientists
Specifically, I don't think there are enough people at that intersection to move the needle on climate change policy, nor on climate change itself.

Why? Do you think there are?

Or are you thinking of people who don't support the mainstream view, but have been moved by Thunberg? Because I don't think they're a significant demographic, either.

But if you have data to replace my speculation, let's have it.
I think there are a lot of young people who connected to what Thunburg is saying.


It's not so much a case of the people not listening to scientists, more a case of scientists can't connect to the public as well as someone they young people can identify with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom