• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This I disagree with. Greta has inspired several school skip days affecting already poor educational systems.

She has caused them to take to the streets blocking and slowing traffic, causing greater pollution to be produced than normal.

But I don't think Greta fans seen this.

Civil disobedience never works. What were Gandhi and Martin Luther King thinking? :rolleyes:
 
Considering one big hurdle is getting the climate change deniers to STFU, that seems like a noble first step goal for Greta to aim for.

Letting the politicians know the public expects them to move their respective countries away from fossil fuels, (especially given Trump's opposite world), is another noble goal.

It seems Greta is accomplishing those goals.
 
Well this description of a tele-conversation between Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Greta Thunberg is probably going to cause some branes to asplode as presumably neither had time for their (fictional) minders to coach them on what to say.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ez-met-greta-thunberg-hope-contagious-climate

It's almost as though a sixteen year old is able to reason well. I was probably younger than sixteen when I wrote my first complaint letter to a newspaper, to complain about the coverage of global warming (claiming it was a hoax, when the science was clear) in the late 1980s, and my eldest daughter managed to get an op-ed piece in the same paper, when she was 17. I wasn't particularly precocious, and nor are my kids.

I'd answer this but apparently it is off limits

No it isn't. It's about the claims that Thunberg is too young to have agency or have made an informed opinion on climate change.

Have you spoken to any teenagers recently? By sixteen, many, if not most, are well able to form their own opinion. Many have really obnoxious opinions:



But many don't.

Pretending she's not her own person seems an odd attitude
 
Riiigghht! The dishonest opposition that coordinates it's attack on Greta with the usual personal attacks and you think they deserve a voice?

How about clipping off the end extremes of both sides and finding a sensible, possible middle route to good changes?

No need to shout in the streets at all, make the electric cars for us to buy, build those windfarms and solar arrays.

I would be all in on affordable, durable solar. I would love an electric bike that used common parts. Or a conversion kit for the bike I ride now. Where is this stuff?
 
I would be all in on affordable, durable solar. I would love an electric bike that used common parts. Or a conversion kit for the bike I ride now. Where is this stuff?

You think this is going to happen without shouting in the streets? Coal is cheap and electric cars are expensive. Governments need to be forced to change.
 
Well, there is the thing about free speech..

I'll refrain from Godwin'ing the thread..

Who is preventing deniers from telling their lies?

Yes, they are treated largely as ridiculous fools, but they have their load hailers close at hand. Andrew Bolt hasn’t been silenced.
 
No it isn't. It's about the claims that Thunberg is too young to have agency or have made an informed opinion on climate change.

Have you spoken to any teenagers recently? By sixteen, many, if not most, are well able to form their own opinion.


Sixteen is the age of legal majority in Scotland. Now you can quibble about that if you like, but when some societies consider someone of that age to be a legal adult then it's getting difficult to portray someone that age as being "too young to have agency".

We'd be letting her vote, and marry, and receive any inheritance in full without trustee interference.
 
No one so far, but some seem to think it's a problem..

It is a problem, because there are plenty of stupid people who listen to the deniers. Many of them are politicians who then block action that needs to be taken in order to salvage the mess we're in.

If the fate of the world was on the line and someone was trying to influence people to destroy it, do you think it's a bad thing to shut them up?
 
Sixteen is the age of legal majority in Scotland. Now you can quibble about that if you like, but when some societies consider someone of that age to be a legal adult then it's getting difficult to portray someone that age as being "too young to have agency".

We'd be letting her vote, and marry, and receive any inheritance in full without trustee interference.

True.
 
It is a problem, because there are plenty of stupid people who listen to the deniers. Many of them are politicians who then block action that needs to be taken in order to salvage the mess we're in.

If the fate of the world was on the line and someone was trying to influence people to destroy it, do you think it's a bad thing to shut them up?


Yes I do..

I'm not that high on anyone deciding what's best for everyone..

If people are stupid enough to buy into bad ideas, maybe a little purge is in order.
 
Last edited:
Yes I do..

I'm not that high on anyone deciding what's best for everyone..

If people are stupid enough to buy into bad ideas, maybe a little purge is in order.

If only we had a way to make sure it was just the stupid people who died. Unfortunately, that's not how it works.
 
How about clipping off the end extremes of both sides and finding a sensible, possible middle route to good changes?

No need to shout in the streets at all, make the electric cars for us to buy, build those windfarms and solar arrays.

I would be all in on affordable, durable solar. I would love an electric bike that used common parts. Or a conversion kit for the bike I ride now. Where is this stuff?

Slightly off topic, so it will probably be deleted, but you can actually get these.

Had a few mates do it.

There are also small businesses that do it.

You can convert any bike big enough to hold the battery (which is pretty much all except toddlers bikes)

Cost is about $1600 NZD (business, do it yourself would be cheaper obviously)
 
I feel the same way about her talking in front of governments That I do when Jon Stewart does it. It is just dumb. We don't need a formal hearing so concerned citizens can get a platform.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom