• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Area 51 people pledging to raid to find aliens

The base itself is ringed with state of the art motion sensors, thermal and night vision cameras, and telescopic cameras. To the north there's Tonopah AFB where our stealth drones are based, and they'll probably have one in the air (for training) that week. There is no way to sneak up on the base. They can get a stallion of Marines from 29 Palms there in 90 minutes (less if they have a force on standby), and from there its a matter of CS gas and beanbag shotguns and nightsticks.

Plus there are no airspeed restrictions so the USAF can buzz everyone with low-altitude supersonic "Welcome to Nellis" passes. Sonic booms are loud at normal altitudes, at tree-top they are a religious experience.

Honestly I think the heat will make most people rethink their choices in life.:thumbsup:

Edited to add:

Their response will depend on what they have out there. There is technology we will kill to protect simply because it's dangerous if it falls into the wrong hands. Back in 1987 anti-war protesters tried to block the railroad tracks of the Concord Naval Weapons Station and were run over by an outgoing train. The train never stopped, suggesting that it carried nuclear warheads (the train had had armed guards standing at the front of the locomotive). Bottom line is that if they can't move the technology housed at Groom Lake they will defend it.

I work for the federal agency (you can probably guess which one) which manages the federal land around that base,and a couple of people at work used to in the Tonopah district. Boy, can they tell you some stories about the problems the wackjobs caused us.
 
I taught desert survival out of Nellis for a few years. Anyone trying to run through forty miles of Nevada desert will not need to be stopped, they will need to be rescued.
 
I taught desert survival out of Nellis for a few years. Anyone trying to run through forty miles of Nevada desert will not need to be stopped, they will need to be rescued.

The agency I work for does a lot of desert rescues.
People are just plain idiots,frankly. You have too many "wilderness lovers" from urban areas who have no freaking ldea of how to actually survive in a Wilderness. They want to "be one with nature" forgetting that Mother Nature can be a real bitch....
 
I've debated so many CTers that I was actually surprised when I learned it was a joke. It genunly sounds like something they would decide to do.

As others point out, of course, not only would next to no one show up, like when they tried to organise massive 9/11 rallies (I remember many of the would-be participants being edgy teens who complained on the forums that their parents wouldn't let them go), but the logistics of organising something involving 500 000 people is ludicrous.

Hey, if they could do it at Woodstock in '69...... :D
 
The agency I work for does a lot of desert rescues.
People are just plain idiots,frankly. You have too many "wilderness lovers" from urban areas who have no freaking ldea of how to actually survive in a Wilderness. They want to "be one with nature" forgetting that Mother Nature can be a real bitch....

I dunno, decomposition is still the most thorough way I know of to become one with nature...


:D
 
I work for the federal agency (you can probably guess which one) which manages the federal land around that base,and a couple of people at work used to in the Tonopah district. Boy, can they tell you some stories about the problems the wackjobs caused us.

Yes, Youtube is full of them.

The whole time I was driving up I was thinking about how big and empty that place is, and realized why it was perfect for dropping A-bombs since there is nothing to hit.
 
The agency I work for does a lot of desert rescues.
People are just plain idiots,frankly. You have too many "wilderness lovers" from urban areas who have no freaking ldea of how to actually survive in a Wilderness. They want to "be one with nature" forgetting that Mother Nature can be a real bitch....
^ this.

I can be a real party pooper sometimes, by asking (innocently! ;) ) how much water one should carry for a 10km hike. In a desert. In summer. :D
 
^ this.

I can be a real party pooper sometimes, by asking (innocently! ;) ) how much water one should carry for a 10km hike. In a desert. In summer. :D

Typically about 1 US gallon (about four litres) per day for one person.

These people claim they are going to hike from Amargosa to Area 51. Thats about 85 miles in the desert. At a reasonable walking pace of 5mph, it will take a minimum of 17 hours, much of which will be in the hot sun, so they would need to be carrying 4-6 litres each minimum. Double that for the return journey if they can't get water at their destination.

IMO, people who think the government has aliens at Area 51 are certifiable. This plan confirms my opinion.
 
Typically about 1 US gallon (about four litres) per day for one person.

These people claim they are going to hike from Amargosa to Area 51. Thats about 85 miles in the desert. At a reasonable walking pace of 5mph, it will take a minimum of 17 hours, much of which will be in the hot sun, so they would need to be carrying 4-6 litres each minimum. Double that for the return journey if they can't get water at their destination.

IMO, people who think the government has aliens at Area 51 are certifiable. This plan confirms my opinion.
But at least they’ll always know where they are, because they’ll have GPS on their cellphones, as well as Google Maps. And there are lots of charging stations, in case their batteries run low. Plus the unexploded ordinance is clearly marked. :D

I’ll get my coat on the way out ...
 
Typically about 1 US gallon (about four litres) per day for one person.

These people claim they are going to hike from Amargosa to Area 51. Thats about 85 miles in the desert. At a reasonable walking pace of 5mph, it will take a minimum of 17 hours, much of which will be in the hot sun, so they would need to be carrying 4-6 litres each minimum. Double that for the return journey if they can't get water at their destination.

IMO, people who think the government has aliens at Area 51 are certifiable. This plan confirms my opinion.

That's a very fast walking pace. I've organised walks for a local walking festival, the shortest 5 miles, the longest 24 miles. Typically we assume 2mph to 3mph depending on length of walk, ability of group and terrain.

Unless these people are elite distance athletes, this is going to be a multi-day trek in both directions. I would expect 85 miles to take somewhere between 5 and 8 days . In temperate Great Britain I would give myself 3 days to cover that distance and I wouldn't dream of doing it self-supported - at the very least I'd hope to pick up water (and beer) along the way.
 
That's a very fast walking pace. I've organised walks for a local walking festival, the shortest 5 miles, the longest 24 miles. Typically we assume 2mph to 3mph depending on length of walk, ability of group and terrain.

Unless these people are elite distance athletes, this is going to be a multi-day trek in both directions. I would expect 85 miles to take somewhere between 5 and 8 days . In temperate Great Britain I would give myself 3 days to cover that distance and I wouldn't dream of doing it self-supported - at the very least I'd hope to pick up water (and beer) along the way.

Yeah, U.S. Infantry school includes a final march that's something like 20 miles a day (I think it's 100 miles over 5 days...may be 4 though). And that's after intense training to build up to it.
 
Typically about 1 US gallon (about four litres) per day for one person.

These people claim they are going to hike from Amargosa to Area 51. Thats about 85 miles in the desert. At a reasonable walking pace of 5mph, it will take a minimum of 17 hours, much of which will be in the hot sun, so they would need to be carrying 4-6 litres each minimum. Double that for the return journey if they can't get water at their destination.

IMO, people who think the government has aliens at Area 51 are certifiable. This plan confirms my opinion.

A gallon per day sounds low even if you're not doing anything sporty. I think I burned through that much in two hours visiting tombs in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.
 
A gallon per day sounds low even if you're not doing anything sporty. I think I burned through that much in two hours visiting tombs in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.

... you know, the real Valley of the Kings is buried under Area 51 ...
 
A gallon per day sounds low even if you're not doing anything sporty. I think I burned through that much in two hours visiting tombs in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.

Military in Iraq we'd do a canteen per hour at the highest heat level, each canteen being 1 quart. So that'd be about 4 gallons for a day.

Of course, mot of us hovered around half that.

Here we go, look at https://ksi.uconn.edu/prevention/wet-bulb-globe-temperature-monitoring/ and check the chart about 3/4 of the way down titled "Work/Rest and Water Consumption Table". A wet bulb globe temp reading takes both temp and humidity into account. For a desert, the baseline temp should be close enough for arugment purposes.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom