• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Notre-Dame de Paris - cathedral on fire!

As expected, the Conspiracy Theories about the Notre Dame fire are already spreading...started a thread about in in the Conspiracy Section
God, those people are ghouls...
 
You mean you don't want to select your victims, you'd prefer them to be random? I applaud your bold choice to not choose, because it combines the elements of chaotic uncertainty with the bloodlust and human sacrifice. If it must be done-- and it seems clear you feel it must be done-- then let it be done with gusto! Embrace the night! Blood for the buildings! Sacrifice to architecture! I'll join you, and together we'll save the cathedrals until we're apse-deep in blood!!!


Yes, we're just having fun with you.

At least now I'll always be able to remember that dang crossword puzzle answer that keeps coming up.
 
I admit, with some of the Let It Burn advocates here, I got a feeling the fact it was a church has a role in their feelings.
And Firemen risk their lives every day to save property. Several people where I work ridk their lives several timea year to save forests..(yes, a few of them were on the Paradise fire).
It goes with the territory. Protecting property as well as lives is part of their job.
I suggest that saving one of the monumnets of Western Civlizatin is as worthy of riksing your life for as a modern office structure.
 
“It’s universal, Western, religious, literary and cultural, and that’s what makes it different from any other object. It’s the whole spectrum from the trivial to the transcendent, the sacred to the profane.” - François Heisbourg, a French analyst, NYT article.

FFS. Hyperbole much?

Let's just turn everything in the world into being about something in the news today.

I'm a huge fan of the contribution of art in history and society. Not so much religion. I haven't read anything about people saying "let it burn", but I almost felt like that when I saw news notifications it was on fire.

I was more like, "meh", we've still got records of it.
 
And this some people here are why I don't like the "New Atheism" very much despite my own intense skepticism about religion in general:they are often as dogmatic and intolerant as the "relgiounist" they hate so much.
 
Would you accept if I told you that a human is just a meatsack?

It's not just a building. Would you say that about the Pyramids? It's part of our collective history.
But it’s still just a building. Buildings can be rebuilt.

It's not, and your explanation does not clarify matters.
I’m sorry but it is clearly beyond my ability to explain to you that I think humans are worth more than buildings, especially humans that are me.

How do you calculate worth? I mean, after you die, and after I die, probably nobody will speak of us just a few years later.

I really liked being alive. Being remembered after I am dead has zero value to me because I will have ceased to exist.

And yet plenty of other humans can take your place.

No they can’t. Not from where I stand.
A new cathedral would not have this one's history.
Yes it will in 900 years.
 
The traditional response of medievals to a burned cathedral was to build a better one on the site. Too lazy to look up whether there were prior cathedrals on ND site, but I think Chartres and Reims were built as replacements.

Someone mentioned on the BBC news that Notre Dame was built on the site of earlier churches, which in turn were on the site of a Roman temple.
 
Oh for no gods' sake, we can like humans AND cathedrals. Unless they plan to rebuild Notre Dame out of human skulls we don't have to chose between them. Although a cathedral built of skulls would be frickin metal.
 
And this some people here are why I don't like the "New Atheism" very much despite my own intense skepticism about religion in general:they are often as dogmatic and intolerant as the "relgiounist" they hate so much.

Oooookay. Could you rewrite this with some punctuation and spelling corrections so that it is clear?
 
I worry about the structural integrity of the bell towers. With such intense heat and roof and floor collapses, they must be damaged in some way.
 
But it’s still just a building. Buildings can be rebuilt.

I’m sorry but it is clearly beyond my ability to explain to you that I think humans are worth more than buildings, especially humans that are me.

We can always make more humans. Same as rebuilding a church.

I really liked being alive. Being remembered after I am dead has zero value to me because I will have ceased to exist.

Funny how you completely remove _other_ humans from the equation, all the while claiming to care about humans.

Yes it will in 900 years.

Are you trolling?
 
Oh for no gods' sake, we can like humans AND cathedrals. Unless they plan to rebuild Notre Dame out of human skulls we don't have to chose between them. Although a cathedral built of skulls would be frickin metal.

Your wish is my command.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

Although not "built of skulls", I hope incorporating them might be sufficient for your tastes.
 
I was just looking at pictures of afterward. It looks surprisingly good. Gonna be a huge project to restore it, of course. Even just removing the scaffolding looks tricky.
 
I admit, with some of the Let It Burn advocates here, I got a feeling the fact it was a church has a role in their feelings.
And Firemen risk their lives every day to save property. Several people where I work ridk their lives several timea year to save forests..(yes, a few of them were on the Paradise fire).
It goes with the territory. Protecting property as well as lives is part of their job.
I suggest that saving one of the monumnets of Western Civlizatin is as worthy of riksing your life for as a modern office structure.

Your monument of Western Civilization is a front for a child molestation criminal conspiracy.
 
I worry about the structural integrity of the bell towers. With such intense heat and roof and floor collapses, they must be damaged in some way.


Two high-priority projects should be the careful dismounting (and safe storage) of the bells, and the shoring of the towers (and the damaged vault sections) against wind loads in case there's a storm.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom