mumblethrax
Species traitor
- Joined
- Apr 5, 2004
- Messages
- 5,179
Whoever did this was into some serious black metal.
Same as my experience. Even the worst attempt at French (je parler français comme une vache espagnole) gets a better response that starting with a slow and loud, "do you speak English?"
You're saying you would prefer that people had died instead of the building burning down. I'm saying, sure if we can choose those people and they happened to be Islamic terrorists.
You mean you don't want to select your victims, you'd prefer them to be random? I applaud your bold choice to not choose, because it combines the elements of chaotic uncertainty with the bloodlust and human sacrifice.(...)
Yes, we're just having fun with you.
As an aside, I was giving evidence at a public inquiry last year (well, two actually...but that's another story) and in both cases the "Ship of Theseus" issue arose. Here it is sometimes referred to as "George Washington's Axe" or, for those Brits of a certain age, "Trigger's Broom". It's a fair point, and one oft discussed in heritage circles. At what point does the artefect being repaired actually cease to be the original article? This is one of the reasons there is a presumption of minimal intervention.
Why do people keep assuming that I'd like to pick someone to die? Are you just having a bit of fun with me? Because what I said is that I'd prefer one outcome over the other. That's it.
It's much easier to trade human lives for cultural artifacts, when you can do it in the abstract.
The book you referenced appears to only be available in hardcopy form. I'll see if my library system has it, or anything similar.
Except nobody did it in the abstract. Did you even read the original post I made on this issue?
I would say, rather, that it's always and constantly being done, in the abstract. Every local allocation of highway funds; every change in tax rates; every update to medical best practices; saves or protects some lives at the cost of others. It's in the abstract not because there's any doubt that lives are lost, but because we never know for sure which ones.
If you wouldn't send Dave in to save "the cathedral," would you send him in to save three lives statistically likely to otherwise be lost as indirect economic results of the cathedral's destruction?
I have the 1999 version (in hard copy format) and it would suffice, if that's what your library system has or can get readily. There is the plain, unillistrated version online but it's not nearly as helpful for those outwith the sector.
If you can find a PDF version of BS 7913 that would probably do the job too, but I think it's less helpful.
If you wouldn't send Dave in to save "the cathedral," would you send him in to save three lives statistically likely to otherwise be lost as indirect economic results of the cathedral's destruction?
Sorry, what?
I haven't had the training, but I'm prepared to have a go if there's nobody else available.
A good question. Is the HMS Victory the original, considering that all of its parts were replaced at one time or another? Am I the Belz... who was born in the 70s, since all my cells were replaced since?...
I would say, rather, that it's always and constantly being done, in the abstract. Every local allocation of highway funds; every change in tax rates; every update to medical best practices; saves or protects some lives at the cost of others. It's in the abstract not because there's any doubt that lives are lost, but because we never know for sure which ones.
If you wouldn't send Dave in to save "the cathedral," would you send him in to save three lives statistically likely to otherwise be lost as indirect economic results of the cathedral's destruction?
Let's pray to jeezus & his ma that they rebuild with modern everything. Just so it comes out looking good.
Those old guys in the middle ages would bop you with a mason's hammer if you did anything else.
And I'm sorry I lived to see this happen.
Are we allowed to say "*****" on the forum?Depends what the asterisked word is.