• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least if they believed in a cool nonsensical mythological deity, like Zeus, it'd be more acceptable.

"So what your invisible sky wizard never even turned into a swan into tricking a peasant woman into letter him impregnate her? Lame."
 
Can't it just be tax breaks? I don't see the sense in them giving us money then we have to give some of it back. Save time and effort.
Most of the people who would need this money don't pay taxes. They either have no income at all or too little to pay taxes.
 
Frontrunner Bernie Sanders wants to talk to Fox News viewers.

“In most respects, I think it is," Sanders told HuffPost on Saturday when asked if Fox News broadcasts were propaganda for President Trump.

Sanders added, however, that there are broadcasters on the network who are "serious" and "fair," noting the town hall he did with host Bret Baier during the 2016 presidential cycle.

"I think they have some people who you can describe as real journalists," he said. "Obviously, most of the station is right-wing propaganda."

Sanders cautioned against completely dismissing the network, considering the millions of viewers that tune in to its programs each day.
 
I don't think Mayor Pete will be elected. And I am sure I would vote for him if he got the nomination. But I hope to hell the Dems don't nominate him. Because I definitely think we will have another four years of the liar if they do.
 
I don't think Mayor Pete will be elected. And I am sure I would vote for him if he got the nomination. But I hope to hell the Dems don't nominate him. Because I definitely think we will have another four years of the liar if they do.

Why is he more likely to lose than candidate X?
 
Yang cites Thomas Paine, at the Founding of our country, for that matter, with his "Citizen's Dividend."

Incidentally, later in that wikipedia article -

Paine is talking about dividends realized from exploiting natural resources. Like how Saudi Arabia distributes its oil wealth. Also like the Alaska example from the article. As best I understand, Paine's idea is that citizens are entitled to realize some profit from exploiting natural resources held in common trust by the government (and monopolized by the government).

But a modern UBI can't be funded out of profits from exploiting natural resources. The country already operates at a deficit. Providing a UBI would require raising taxes. If we are following Paine's idea, it would mean treating private labor as a natural resource held in trust and monopolized by the government. You're not a private citizen putting in the effort to build a better tomorrow for yourself. You're a natural resource, like an oil reservoir or a seam of coal, to be exploited for the profit of the state.

Or it would mean taking a good look at how to really monetize our natural resources. Which I assume is probably a non-starter at the moment.
 
acbytesla has been very clear that woman, blacks, and now gays can only run in unimportant elections.

We can keep being the party that pushes the boundaries which I like and the party that loses which I don't.

It will be great if the Democrats nominate a gay Muslim black woman for President. That is until January 20, 2021. I wonder who President Trump will nominate to take Ruth Nader Ginsburg? Abortion will become illegal, probably homosexuality too. The poor and the sick will be euthanized. It's all about Making America Great Again. #MAGA
 
Abortion will become illegal, probably homosexuality too. The poor and the sick will be euthanized. It's all about Making America Great Again. #MAGA

This is some top-notch cognitive dissonance. The party in favor of euthanasia is the same party that's in favor of abortion. They go hand in hand, just like opposition to abortion and opposition to euthanasia.
 
This is some top-notch cognitive dissonance. The party in favor of euthanasia is the same party that's in favor of abortion. They go hand in hand, just like opposition to abortion and opposition to euthanasia.

You'd think so, but you could also say that the party which is against abortion should also be against the death penalty, but that isn't the case.
 
You'd think so, but you could also say that the party which is against abortion should also be against the death penalty, but that isn't the case.

But it is the case with abortion and euthanasia. I can discuss what I think the differences are, but they don't really matter, because regardless of the reasons it's still an observed fact that abortion and euthanasia views are positively correlated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom