• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Scorpion's Spiritualism

I'm sorry, but I do believe I'm being fair. Scorpion said, "I have tried opening my mouth while hearing voices, and it makes no difference, I still hear them. Therefore I have now conducted and experiment that proves Dennett is wrong about this point."

The study did not say that every schizophrenic is subvocalizing, only that many do. The study did not say that if one is not subvocalizing while hearing voices that one is not a schizophrenic. These are conclusions which are erroneous based on this study. That's all my point is.

Dennett did not make that distinction clear in his footnote. Scorpion is accurately relaying and responding to what Dennett said about the study.

Ask Scorpion to read the link I posted and then see what he says.
 
Yes it does sound like Dennett's summary of the study was poorly worded.

A sceptic would have looked the study up to get more details before commenting on it, of course, but we all know Scorpion is not a sceptic.
 
Yes it does sound like Dennett's summary of the study was poorly worded.

A sceptic would have looked the study up to get more details before commenting on it, of course, but we all know Scorpion is not a sceptic.
Sigh.

Scorpion is telling Dennett what Scorpion thinks of Dennett's statement. Scorpion doesn't need anything beyond Dennett's statement to do that accurately.

Further, if Scorpion had looked the study up he would have still found that Dennett's summary was wrong and that Scorpion falls in to the minority that Dennett didn't mention in his footnote.
 
I'm not disputing that Scorpion's criticism of Dennett's statement is justifed. I'm just remarking that it would have been better informed criticism if he'd looked up the study before making it, as he could then have pointed out that the study doesn't even say what Dennett claimed it said.
 
Here is Dennett's footnote from his book 'consciousness explained'

Another anomalous linguistic phenomenon is the familiar symptom of schizophrenia; "hearing voices" it is now quite firmly established that the voices the schizophrenic "hears" is his own; he is talking to himself silently without realizing it. As simple an obstacle as having the patient hold his mouth wide open is sufficient to stop the voices [Black and Kinsbourne 1987]. See also Hoffman [1986] and the commentary by Atkins and Dennett, "Who may I say is calling" [1986]
 
Sigh.

Scorpion is telling Dennett what Scorpion thinks of Dennett's statement. Scorpion doesn't need anything beyond Dennett's statement to do that accurately.

Further, if Scorpion had looked the study up he would have still found that Dennett's summary was wrong and that Scorpion falls in to the minority that Dennett didn't mention in his footnote.
Yes, Dennett made a sweeping statement which was inaccurate.

I now have that study and I think that ultimately the conclusions reached by that study are much more insightful than the subvocalizing part.

The study states, "Results: The mouth-opening maneuver abolished hallucinations in most subjects, but the fist and eye maneuvers did not. No one reported an intensification of voices (table 1). The patients complied readily but seemed indifferent to the fact that they could abolish the voices by a simple movement. Patients who had characterized the voices they heard as burdensome or terrifying expressed no relief that they could control them. One patient who reported hearing continuously harassing voices was reinterviewed 1 week later. Asked if she had used the mouth-opening maneuver when the voices became intolerable, she said that she had not and expressed no interest in doing so."

This to me expresses how incredibly difficult some forms of mental illnesses are to treat when the victims themselves refuse to take any part in alleviating their own symptoms.

The other thing I wish to mention on this topic is that this study is from 1987 and there has been thirty years of further research regarding the successful treatment of schizophrenia and anyone who is truly interested in discovering more would do well to research material generated within the past few years in order to take full advantage of cutting-edge science and discoveries.
 
In the early 1970's I regularly attended lectures at the spiritualist association in London.
During one trance lecture by Ursula Roberts she said masturbation opens the aura, and while the aura is open negative astral entities can gain access to a person and obsess them. During normal sexual activity the auras open between two people but the auras of the participants interlock and no entities can gain entry. These entities are not intelligent, but may be able to talk like parrots.
In another lecture Thomas Johansson, who was then the secretary of the association said they used to pass static electricity over the body of people who heard voices using a whimshurst machine. This would be felt as fire by the obsessing entity who would be driven out of the aura. I tried building such a machine to try and drive out my voices but found too many problems in the construction and never finished it. I did get a fair way with it, like having two glass disks cut to size and making the metal panels to glue on it, but I could not figure out how to acquire the brass balls required as a spark gap so I never finished it.
I would dearly love to get hold of a whimshurst machine to see if it has any effect but they are not commonly available.
 
Last edited:
IDuring normal sexual activity the auras open between two people but the auras of the participants interlock and no entities can gain entry.

I wonder what happens to auras in a threesome?

I would dearly love to get hold of a whimshurst machine to see if it has any effect but they are not commonly available.

I doubt it will be of any help to you at all, but you can choose from a variety of models on Amazon.
 
I wonder what happens to auras in a threesome?



I doubt it will be of any help to you at all, but you can choose from a variety of models on Amazon.

Thanks, I found one for only £59, I am going to order one. But I am still not sure how safe it will be to expose myself to thousands of volts.
 
Last edited:
In the early 1970's I regularly attended lectures at the spiritualist association in London.
During one trance lecture by Ursula Roberts she said masturbation opens the aura, and while the aura is open negative astral entities can gain access to a person and obsess them. During normal sexual activity the auras open between two people but the auras of the participants interlock and no entities can gain entry. These entities are not intelligent, but may be able to talk like parrots.
In another lecture Thomas Johansson, who was then the secretary of the association said they used to pass static electricity over the body of people who heard voices using a whimshurst machine. This would be felt as fire by the obsessing entity who would be driven out of the aura. I tried building such a machine to try and drive out my voices but found too many problems in the construction and never finished it. I did get a fair way with it, like having two glass disks cut to size and making the metal panels to glue on it, but I could not figure out how to acquire the brass balls required as a spark gap so I never finished it.
I would dearly love to get hold of a whimshurst machine to see if it has any effect but they are not commonly available.

So, according to your fine wisdom, one can open their aura via masturbation, but doing so can be risky because masturbation can allow negative astral energies to enter the masturbator.

Well now! Isn't that special?

This has got to be about the most cute anti-masturbation advice since the days of "Church Chat" on Saturday Night Live.

In fact, one can easily visualize Dana Carvey screwing his face into that weird Church Lady smirk.
 
A great way to learn about static electricity. I hope you will report back on how it works for you. I bet that you will find the results to be shocking.

Yea ! Thomas Johansson did not say how the static electricity was safely applied. I suppose it will at least be hair raising.

Well I just ordered one, and I figure I can control the charge by not winding the handle fast, and after I have exposed myself to a charge I will earth myself through the taps in the bathroom to clear any remaining charge, in case it destroys my computer.
 
Last edited:
So, according to your fine wisdom, one can open their aura via masturbation, but doing so can be risky because masturbation can allow negative astral energies to enter the masturbator.

Well now! Isn't that special?

This has got to be about the most cute anti-masturbation advice since the days of "Church Chat" on Saturday Night Live.

In fact, one can easily visualize Dana Carvey screwing his face into that weird Church Lady smirk.

Also, ya gotta have brass balls.

This should be a warning to anyone interested in having a quick Tom Tank, be aware that doing so will open up your aura to malignant entity attacks, in the form of a parrot talking, that will require a certified lecturer in "trance" to blow these entities away with static electricity.

I don't know whether this is a job for Paul McKenna, the Ghostbusters, or a weed dealer.
 
Yea ! Thomas Johansson did not say how the static electricity was safely applied. I suppose it will at least be hair raising.

Well I just ordered one, and I figure I can control the charge by not winding the handle fast, and after I have exposed myself to a charge I will earth myself through the taps in the bathroom to clear any remaining charge, in case it destroys my computer.

Have you tried spinning around on the spot with a piece of tin foil in one hand, a spatula in the other, a table cloth tucked into your shirt so as to act as a cape of sorts, and repeating the sentence "wank ghosts be gone"?

It seems like this is as good a solution to your issue as the one your trance lecturer suggested, it too, has been plucked from the arse of the mind.
 
Also, ya gotta have brass balls.

This should be a warning to anyone interested in having a quick Tom Tank, be aware that doing so will open up your aura to malignant entity attacks, in the form of a parrot talking, that will require a certified lecturer in "trance" to blow these entities away with static electricity.

I don't know whether this is a job for Paul McKenna, the Ghostbusters, or a weed dealer.

I have heard voices whispering in my ears for 50 years. They are not intelligent and largely mock me. In fact they are a bit like you. I have steadfastly ignored them all these years after finding out they had nothing to say that was worth listening to.
But there still must be an explanation for them. I subscribe to the possibility that they are astral entities who climbed inside my aura and are lodged there. They seem to be in my stomach, as I used to feel things in my stomach that were like writhing cold snakes.

I am going to see if the president of the spiritualist association knew what he was talking about when he said they would feel static electricity like fire and be ejected from my aura. Hopefully without electrocuting myself.

These voices in my ears are not the intelligent spirit voices I am sure I have heard in the past, as those voices speak directly into my head not my ears.
 
I have heard voices whispering in my ears for 50 years. . . . But there still must be an explanation for them.
There is. You have been quite open in sharing your diagnosis of mental illness. Hearing voices is a rather commonplace experience for people suffering from certain forms of mental illness.

they are astral entities
not a thing

who climbed inside
nope

nope

They seem to be in my stomach, as I used to feel things in my stomach that were like writhing cold snakes.
Most people describe this as "butterflies", but yah, you're simply describing symptoms of anxiety.

I am going to see if the president of the spiritualist association knew what he was talking about when he said they would feel static electricity like fire and be ejected from my aura.
He doesn't know anything about this because it is not real, but he will claim that he does. Have fun sliding around on the carpet in your socks.
 
I have heard voices whispering in my ears for 50 years. They are not intelligent and largely mock me. In fact they are a bit like you. I have steadfastly ignored them all these years after finding out they had nothing to say that was worth listening to.
But there still must be an explanation for them. I subscribe to the possibility that they are astral entities who climbed inside my aura and are lodged there. They seem to be in my stomach, as I used to feel things in my stomach that were like writhing cold snakes.

I am going to see if the president of the spiritualist association knew what he was talking about when he said they would feel static electricity like fire and be ejected from my aura. Hopefully without electrocuting myself.

These voices in my ears are not the intelligent spirit voices I am sure I have heard in the past, as those voices speak directly into my head not my ears.

You refuse to accept any explanation for your delusions, you ignore facts that are presented to you, you blindly go along with your paranoid narrative and aren't interested in challenging it, and your ego felt it important enough to create this entirely hilarious thread in order to parade around and tell people about your life as though you're just a world-weary sage who's been given the short end of the stick. I'm expecting you to start playing the blues any minute now...

This is why I "mock" you, and this thread. I didn't intend to do so, but after having tried to reason with you and found that you're not interested in anything that isn't your opinion, I've proceeded to just sit back and laugh.

Do what you like, mate, it's all about you. :thumbsup:
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom