• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Split Thread Scorpion's Spiritualism


If you think that is something, then did you happen to notice this posting where 'Scorpion' discusses the voices in his head and where he uses mediums to talk to dead people?

In the case of the post you quote, the medium Ivy Northage was purportedly taken in trance by a spirit that then spoke through her using her mouth.

I have had the opportunity to ask questions of trance mediums, and therefore possibly I was asking questions of spirits that were using the mediums.

Most mediums are not trance mediums, but claim to be able to either see and hear or feel spirits. The mediums that say they can hear spirits can relate messages from the spirit world.

I personally do not talk to dead people, however I claim to have occasionally heard spirit voices speak directly into my head.
 
If you think that is something, then did you happen to notice this posting where 'Scorpion' discusses the voices in his head and where he uses mediums to talk to dead people?

Yeah, although it wasn't one of his best pieces, tbh. I prefer the one about him doing the martial arts on the shop shutter while drunk, where the policemen apprehensively approach him, for fear of his psychic Bruce Lee aura reaching out with a cosmic round-house kick to the soul.
 
Yeah, although it wasn't one of his best pieces, tbh. I prefer the one about him doing the martial arts on the shop shutter while drunk, where the policemen apprehensively approach him, for fear of his psychic Bruce Lee aura reaching out with a cosmic round-house kick to the soul.

Oh gee whiz!

This is going from bad to worse.
 
Yeah, although it wasn't one of his best pieces, tbh. I prefer the one about him doing the martial arts on the shop shutter while drunk, where the policemen apprehensively approach him, for fear of his psychic Bruce Lee aura reaching out with a cosmic round-house kick to the soul.

Given this, Should we amend the title to Scorpion's 80 proof spirits-ualism?
 
Daniel Dennett says in his book' consciousness explained' that if a schizophrenic opens their mouth wide the voices they hear will stop, because it is their own voice they are hearing. I have tried opening my mouth while hearing voices, and it makes no difference, I still hear them. Therefore I have now conducted and experiment that proves Dennett is wrong about this point. I think he is also wrong about consciousness being a product of the brain but as yet cannot prove that. However I have asked schizophrenics on twitter to confirm if their voices stop or not, so that I can get a database of evidence against Dennett's claim.

Here is a tweet I just sent to Dennett informing him of this.



@danieldennett Daniel, you state in the footnotes of your book 'consciousness explained' that if a schizophrenic opens their mouth the voices they hear will stop. I have tried this and it makes no difference, I still hear voices. I also believe you are wrong about consciousness.
 
Daniel Dennett says in his book' consciousness explained' that if a schizophrenic opens their mouth wide the voices they hear will stop, because it is their own voice they are hearing. I have tried opening my mouth while hearing voices, and it makes no difference, I still hear them. Therefore I have now conducted and experiment that proves Dennett is wrong about this point. I think he is also wrong about consciousness being a product of the brain but as yet cannot prove that. However I have asked schizophrenics on twitter to confirm if their voices stop or not, so that I can get a database of evidence against Dennett's claim.

Here is a tweet I just sent to Dennett informing him of this.



@danieldennett Daniel, you state in the footnotes of your book 'consciousness explained' that if a schizophrenic opens their mouth the voices they hear will stop. I have tried this and it makes no difference, I still hear voices. I also believe you are wrong about consciousness.

Instead of using Twitter to communicate with Dennett, try asking those voices inside of your head to communicate with Dennett.

If they could talk to Dennett on your behalf, then Dennett may be more receptive to your ideas about these schizophrenics.
 
Instead of using Twitter to communicate with Dennett, try asking those voices inside of your head to communicate with Dennett.

If they could talk to Dennett on your behalf, then Dennett may be more receptive to your ideas about these schizophrenics.


I couldn't find any reference to Dennett saying that on Google anyway so I suspect that it's a case of "someone doesn't get metaphors" at best.
 
Nope. It's not presented as a metaphor. It's presented as a scientific conclusion. Here's the study Dennett cited to back up the claim: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3812794

Thank you for that, very interesting, unfortunately I can't access the full article but there seems to be rather more to the subject than "Daniel Dennett says [...] that if a schizophrenic opens their mouth wide the voices they hear will stop" anyway. But I'm pleased to retract my guess that it was a metaphor.

:thumbsup: Putting the "E" in I.S.... Oh bugger.:thumbsup:
 
Nope. It's not presented as a metaphor. It's presented as a scientific conclusion. Here's the study Dennett cited to back up the claim: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3812794

The study, based on the summary, simply says that in many cases, people are actually subvocalizing (literally talking to themselves) while mistakenly believing the voices are coming from somewhere else.

Seems to me to be a good and simple test to help distinguish one type of schizophrenia from others, but it is certainly not conclusive of anything; in other words, it's not diagnostic of schizophrenia/not schizophrenia.

So once again, Scorpion is misinterpreting a study to somehow prove something it clearly doesn't.
 
Last edited:
So once again, Scorpion is misinterpreting a study to somehow prove something it clearly doesn't.
Scorpion is only claiming to know what Dennett said in a footnote in his book. In fairness to Scorpion I'd have to point out that Scorpion is representing what Dennett said about the study completely accurately.
 
Last edited:
Scorpion is only claiming to know what Dennett said in a footnote in his book. In fairness to Scorpion I'd have to point out that Scorpion is representing what Dennett said about the study completely accurately.
I'm sorry, but I do believe I'm being fair. Scorpion said, "I have tried opening my mouth while hearing voices, and it makes no difference, I still hear them. Therefore I have now conducted and experiment that proves Dennett is wrong about this point."

The study did not say that every schizophrenic is subvocalizing, only that many do. The study did not say that if one is not subvocalizing while hearing voices that one is not a schizophrenic. These are conclusions which are erroneous based on this study. That's all my point is.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom