• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

2020 Democratic Candidates Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit I've had a hard time jumping on board with the narrative that Hillary lost because of racism but Obama didn't because that just doesn't make any kind of sense.
 
Which shows that his support's not based on his actual policies or character, but on him being not a democrat, and "sticking" it to them.

Yep.

I think these people want a dictator/strongman as much as anything else, too. As long as he seems to be sticking it to any demographic they see as weaklings, they're happy.
 
Sadly, given the underlying racism that seems to be evident in a large part of the electorate, "old white men" may be the best way to beat Trump.
Well, a lot of people who voted for Obama in 2008 ended up voting for Trump.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/upshot/the-obama-trump-voters-are-real-heres-what-they-think.html
Different elections, different circumstances.

The Democrats were likely going to win in 2008 simply because the electorate had turned on Bush (due to the multiple wars and declining economic situation.) And in 2012, it was "Obama vs. a white guy", but Romney didn't attempt to play the race card.

The thing about Trump... he has certainly put all the cards on the table. What had been thinly veiled racism is now out in the open, and the Democratic party has to deal with it.
 
That's gonna happen regardless. "But the other side is going to be hypocritical about it..." is literally going happen for everything in politics. We can't make decisions based on something that's gonna happen regardless.

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where we flashback to Homer and Marge naming their second child. Homer goes through a number of names suggested by Marge and always finds an insult someone could throw at him based on it, and then they settle on "Bart", missing the obvious conclusion.
 
"But Biden's so old!"

You guys do know Trump is like...72 right? And was the oldest person ever to take the office? If 72 doesn't bother the voters 76 won't. Unless they think the candidate is going to keel over or go senile in the next 4/8 years, they'll vote for them if they like them regardless of age.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The Dems don't want to run Biden because he's an old white man and right now the narrative the Democrats really, really want to write is someone who's not an old white man beating the old white man.

They are gonna put up a symbolic representative for all the disenfranchised groups up there, another woman, probably someone of color-ish (brown but not too brown as they call it in Hollywood), and that's risky.

So naive! Trump will just call him Old Man Biden and win the election. You and the New York Times will try to patiently explain that Trump is only four years younger as if anyone will listen. Crooked Hillary! Low Energy Jeb! Lyin’ Ted! Sweaty Little Marco! Etc...
 
Patterson: I can't believe what I'm hearing!
Homer: Well, then you'd better turn up your hearing aid, Pops.
Patterson: "Pops"? I'm only two years older than you!
Homer: Do we want Old Man Patterson here with his finger on the button?
Patterson: What button?! What the hell are you talking about?!
Homer: [mocking] "What? What? What? What button? Where am I? Who took my false teeth?"
 
Re: Possibility of Democrats nominating Biden, who may be seen as 'too old'...
You're forgetting about the Republican party's limitless ability to engage in hypocrisy. (Remember, the party that contemned Clinton for sexual misconduct now doesn't care about such things when Trump did them.) I'm sure if Biden became the candidate, any time he sneezes it would result in hours of coverage on Fox news suggesting that he's at death's door and that we need to stick with Trump because his doc said he was so healthy.
That's gonna happen regardless. "But the other side is going to be hypocritical about it..." is literally going happen for everything in politics. We can't make decisions based on something that's gonna happen regardless.
Yes, the republicans will resort to hypocrisy regardless (as well as other dirty tricks).

I think its a question of 1) degrees, and 2) how effective it will be. And nominating a candidate who is even older than Trump would potentially make republican attacks more effective.
 
Patterson: I can't believe what I'm hearing!
Homer: Well, then you'd better turn up your hearing aid, Pops.
Patterson: "Pops"? I'm only two years older than you!
Homer: Do we want Old Man Patterson here with his finger on the button?
Patterson: What button?! What the hell are you talking about?!
Homer: [mocking] "What? What? What? What button? Where am I? Who took my false teeth?"

Holy crap! I didn’t even know about that and yet I think that is exactly the way the debates would go!
 
Yes, the republicans will resort to hypocrisy regardless (as well as other dirty tricks).

I think its a question of 1) degrees, and 2) how effective it will be. And nominating a candidate who is even older than Trump would potentially make republican attacks more effective.

In terms of effectiveness, I really don't think people are going to not show up to vote just because the nominee is old, or decide to vote for Trump because he's 2 or 4 years younger.

I think if people don't show up to vote for Biden, it'll primarily be a lack of enthusiasm for what's seen as "the establishment" more than his age.
 
The Democrats sometimes have a problem with the fact that you get into power and then you help the disenfranchised groups, you don't count on the disenfranchised groups to you get you into power because, and here's the complicated part... they're disenfranchised.

Yeah sure it would just be so "End of a Movie" perfect for an African American disabled transgender immigrant lesbian with autism to beat Trump in the Presidential Race... but it's not gonna happen.
 
Friendly (and smart) tweet by Cory Booker:

"Amen. I'm proud of @KamalaHarris too and grateful for her - what she did today is historic and something that should make us all respect and recognize.

And yes, I also share that prayer."

https://twitter.com/CoryBooker/status/1087592750311194625

But the funniest reaction to Harris declaring must be this one:

"Full steam ahead on 2020 – Kamala Harris announced she will run today. She denied Brett Kavanaugh due process in front of the nation, and in so doing has lost my vote. I could not imagine any American for somebody who does not believe in due process."

https://twitter.com/BillOReilly/status/1087486705433755648

She's lost the O'Reilly vote!
 
Last edited:
American politics are so weird. Up here we usually bother with the candidates a few days before the voting polls open.

100% serious, no joke.

It would not surprise me in the least if in my lifetime I start seeing people actively, publicly campaigning for a major election position an election out.

As in no B.S. I think in the 2020, 2030s or so seeing people campaigning for the Presidential Election after the upcoming one will be a thing we could see.
 
100% serious, no joke.

It would not surprise me in the least if in my lifetime I start seeing people actively, publicly campaigning for a major election position an election out.

As in no B.S. I think in the 2020, 2030s or so seeing people campaigning for the Presidential Election after the upcoming one will be a thing we could see.

I am almost surprised that Republican candidates are not putting their name forward for 2024. It would make sense to get the ball rolling now, get some name recognition, build up the coffers with some NRA money, some oil money, some Wall Street Companies, and also be ready - just in case - to slot in if Donnie should suddenly keel over with half a quarter-pounder in his mouth or if he accidentally, brutally stabbed himself to death in the shower, or some pictures of him and Putin in a hot tub emerge.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom