HappySkeptic99
Scholar
- Joined
- Dec 7, 2018
- Messages
- 99
No I have not used QM in real world situations. But I was definitely a believer in quantum woo at an early age.
You clearly have not been paying attention to people like Carver Meade who was in on the first floor of the solid state revolution.
Question, since you are so knowledgeable : How big is the hydrogen atom?
What does Quantum Woo have to do with actual QM? Every time I hear woo-like ideas, whether from the new-age, or in science press, the actual theory says things a lot less woo-like.
Your question is a trick one. Classical thinking in a quantum world. We look at expectation values of a measurement, not fixed sizes. The Bohr radius is useful approximation.
Carver Meade is not a theorist, and I have no problem with him looking at Electricity and Magnetism, and QM, in a slightly different way. Often, there are many mathematically-equivalent ways of looking at pieces of reality. We choose the model that is most useful. I have not read his work, but it does not sound revolutionary, or terribly deep. Also, those who try to come up with deterministic QM have all failed. That doesn't mean they shouldn't keep trying, but they need to actually answer all of reality.
!