• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Stand Your Ground Florida, Stand Your Ground

These are both likely conclusions. Did McGlockton use his x-ray vision to see Drejka's pistol under his shirt? Did they have some prior knowledge of one another that no witness or news report felt relevant to report? Just use Occam's Razor and don't bust my balls.

If you know what you are looking for it is quite possible to detect weapons under clothing unless the carrier knows how to truly conceal them. I often am armed but absent a metal detector very few people would suspect I was . And they make plastic/ceramic knives that cut just fine but do not alert detectors.
 
Florida judge sets August trial date in Michael Drejka 'stand your ground' killing case


Gotta love how NBC starts the article:

"The white man charged with manslaughter for shooting a black man,"

Stay classy NBC. At least wait for the 2nd paragraph for that ******* ****....


If the jury is allowed to see Drejka's prior incidents then he is screwed.

Have fun in prison Drejka!! And I hope county jail has been good to you.

zimmerman's past wasn't allowed in. I would think the case could be made here based on that.
 
If you know what you are looking for it is quite possible to detect weapons under clothing unless the carrier knows how to truly conceal them. I often am armed but absent a metal detector very few people would suspect I was . And they make plastic/ceramic knives that cut just fine but do not alert detectors.

God, yes. I live in a no-carry State, but can sometimes see the outline of what certainly looks like a handgun under clothing in public by people who sure don't look like undercover cops.

In the school system my wife works in, there is a known stretch of woods where students dump their weapons before entering the building. Although there does not seem to be much reported shooting by kids going on, so I wonder how many brandishings, real or bluffing, are going down on the way home from freaking school.
 
God, yes. I live in a no-carry State, but can sometimes see the outline of what certainly looks like a handgun under clothing in public by people who sure don't look like undercover cops.

In the school system my wife works in, there is a known stretch of woods where students dump their weapons before entering the building. Although there does not seem to be much reported shooting by kids going on, so I wonder how many brandishings, real or bluffing, are going down on the way home from freaking school.

Hopefully not many and if the police are not aware of the woods or are not bothering to check the woods out often if something happens there they will not look good.
 
Hopefully not many and if the police are not aware of the woods or are not bothering to check the woods out often if something happens there they will not look good.


Thermal might not be aware but that story is likely to be one that has been embellished in multiple tellings.

Simply for the fact that, if true, then one of the students would skip back and take all of the weapons. Guns, at least, are worth a **** ton of $$$. Knives not so much, but every little bit helps when you're 15.
 
Thermal might not be aware but that story is likely to be one that has been embellished in multiple tellings.

Simply for the fact that, if true, then one of the students would skip back and take all of the weapons. Guns, at least, are worth a **** ton of $$$. Knives not so much, but every little bit helps when you're 15.

Haha, no. It's very much an open secret where the drop spot is. You can't see exactly where they are being dropped from the school grounds though, but you can see the usual suspects walking over to it and quickly coming back from that area, and there is nothing on the other side that they would have been coming from (backs up to an uncrossable expressway). Not enough time to be getting high or anything. My wife can see all this near her office.

It's not like the whole school is carrying. It's just a few and they live in the same gang controlled area. Dirty guns, btw, run you $50-$100. Not exactly worth your life to try to steal, should you be caught.

Dirty guns always made me wonder a little. It's a city, so the users would have no way to practice with them or even know they fired until a shooting. Pretty sure kids don't know about cleaning and oiling and all. Not sure how many are even able to fire.
 
Look at the video. The dead guy blindsides the shooter. Seems like a classic case of stand your ground, except that the shooter couldn't stand his ground, he had already been knocked over.

From other comments, it sounds like the shooter is something of a handicapped parking spot activist; I'm assuming since neither of the articles I read on the incident mention it explicitly, the car in question did not have a handicapped plate.

In Florida that would be more often a handicapped mirror hang tag. And a knife is legal too(as far as carry concealed) and a number of them (I prefer Kershaw with the rapid open bit)open really fast and cut really well...…..
 
Haha, no.


Not funny, and yes. You are likely playing the telephone game with an urban legend. That or you are flat out taking the piss.

Not only would the weapons be stolen by other kids, but people (well, responsible people anyway) would report the spot as soon as the kids walked away.

Not many people that I know are inhumane enough to not report it and on top of that go online making jokes about it.
 
And if you claim that your wife has not reported it because there is no solid evidence that should tell you right there that you really have no idea what is going on and are spreading an urban legend.

You can't have it both ways. If this is what is happening and your wife knows it then she very well could lose her job if there is a school shooting and she did not have it investigated properly. She could even be sued civilly. That or you are just spreading rumors. Again, you can't have it both ways.


Also it is noted that you did not include the "just a few" qualifier with "students" when telling the story originally.
 
Not funny, and yes. You are likely playing the telephone game with an urban legend. That or you are flat out taking the piss.

Not only would the weapons be stolen by other kids, but people (well, responsible people anyway) would report the spot as soon as the kids walked away.

Not many people that I know are inhumane enough to not report it and on top of that go online making jokes about it.

You know, sometimes I worry about people being to jaded, and kids knowing more than they should. This comment restores my faith in innocence.

eta: I don't know what the hell you were reading, but I was not making jokes. Far from it. I gave a haha because I didn't think you could possibly be serious. You would steal from the baddest asses in the school, from guys who are genuinely bad news? You'd have a somewhat uncomfortable school year, babe.
 
Last edited:
And if you claim that your wife has not reported it because there is no solid evidence that should tell you right there that you really have no idea what is going on and are spreading an urban legend.

Please reread the comment. The part about open secret, and that she doesn't see exactly where.

You can't have it both ways. If this is what is happening and your wife knows it then she very well could lose her job if there is a school shooting and she did not have it investigated properly. She could even be sued civilly. That or you are just spreading rumors. Again, you can't have it both ways.

Who will sue her and on what grounds? You think I will be an informant? Other members of her team? Do tell.


Also it is noted that you did not include the "just a few" qualifier with "students" when telling the story originally.

Oh, I see. You thought I originally meant every ******** student in the school. Smart one, you are.
 
Haha, no. It's very much an open secret where the drop spot is. You can't see exactly where they are being dropped from the school grounds though, but you can see the usual suspects walking over to it and quickly coming back from that area, and there is nothing on the other side that they would have been coming from (backs up to an uncrossable expressway). Not enough time to be getting high or anything. My wife can see all this near her office.

It's not like the whole school is carrying. It's just a few and they live in the same gang controlled area. Dirty guns, btw, run you $50-$100. Not exactly worth your life to try to steal, should you be caught.

Dirty guns always made me wonder a little. It's a city, so the users would have no way to practice with them or even know they fired until a shooting. Pretty sure kids don't know about cleaning and oiling and all. Not sure how many are even able to fire.

I'm British and was taught to strip and clean rifles (SMLE and this one
L98A2 DP Rifle by Sobota's Militaria, on Flickr)

at my state school.
 
You think I will be an informant?


Wow. You think reporting to the police where students are putting weapons is being an "informant"??

I'm glad you and your wife are not in our school district...


Who will sue her and on what grounds?


Pretty simple really. If there is a school shooting and it is found out that your wife had knowledge of where students were putting weapons and did not report it, then the parents of the murdered students would soon own your house.

Or, of course, this could just be as I predicted the entire time. You are playing the telephone game with rumors.

Oh, I see. You thought I originally meant every ******** student in the school.

Nope. The point is that you did not clarify it either way. You left it open. There is a reason people do that. It's called blustering.

Here is the exact sentence:

In the school system my wife works in, there is a known stretch of woods where students dump their weapons before entering the building.


It sure wouldn't have had the same effect with your later qualifiers.

Smart one, you are.

Thanks.


You know, sometimes I worry about people being to jaded, and kids knowing more than they should. This comment restores my faith in innocence.


Umm.. how old do you think I am?


You would steal from the baddest asses in the school, from guys who are genuinely bad news? You'd have a somewhat uncomfortable school year, babe.


The only reason you are entertaining the idea that the student who skips back to steal the loot would be found out is because it helps your stubborn refusal to acknowledge it as an urban legend. Otherwise it really makes no logical sense.

"Durrr.... hey guys, guess what I did today? I skipped school and took all the guns for myself... durrr."


I mean, kids are stupid. So it is quite possible they would slip up. But to act like it is the assumed result? That's about as nonsensical as adults not reporting to the police where students are putting guns. :D
 
I'm British and was taught to strip and clean rifles (SMLE and this one
[qimg]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5162/5281575976_d7db55aa95.jpg[/qimg]L98A2 DP Rifle by Sobota's Militaria, on Flickr)

at my state school.

Not clear on what a state school is in Great Britain. Does that mean a military academy? In the US, state school would sound like a public school, where all members of the public may attend, and no student would currently handle firearms with teachers.
 
Wow. You think reporting to the police where students are putting weapons is being an "informant"??

I'm glad you and your wife are not in our school district...

Pretty simple really. If there is a school shooting and it is found out that your wife had knowledge of where students were putting weapons and did not report it, then the parents of the murdered students would soon own your house.

Or, of course, this could just be as I predicted the entire time. You are playing the telephone game with rumors.

Not sure where you are going with this. My wife can see from the windowed common area where these kids are dropping. She knows who they are and where they live. This is no 'telephone game'. As I said, she does not physically see what is dropped. Maybe you think they are stopping to admire the flowers or hiding their Sears catalog? People who work there and work with these kids know what they are dropping. It doesn't take a genius.

Nope. The point is that you did not clarify it either way. You left it open. There is a reason people do that. It's called blustering.

Here is the exact sentence:

It sure wouldn't have had the same effect with your later qualifiers.

Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Umm.. how old do you think I am?

They were two separate comments. One was people being too jaded, and the other was kids knowing more than they should. But trust me, you have restored my faith in dewey-eyed innocence lasting well into adulthood. You think kids would steal guns out in the open from the bad asses? They have vastly superior survival instincts than some.

The only reason you are entertaining the idea that the student who skips back to steal the loot would be found out is because it helps your stubborn refusal to acknowledge it as an urban legend. Otherwise it really makes no logical sense.

"Durrr.... hey guys, guess what I did today? I skipped school and took all the guns for myself... durrr."

I mean, kids are stupid. So it is quite possible they would slip up. But to act like it is the assumed result? That's about as nonsensical as adults not reporting to the police where students are putting guns. :D

That's what I meant about innocence: any, but any kid knows what lines not to cross. No, they do not slip up at that level. You can tell because they are still alive. We're not talking street smarts here, just basic survival skills.

I don't know who reports what. It's not impossible that SROs and police know who is carrying and where they drop, and that they'd rather know than have them get a new spot and not know. 'The devil you know' kind of thing. My comment was about how these kinds of things happen now, whether you acknowledge them or not. Yes, they carry. My wife has been in their homes as part of the child study team and they are not exactly discrete. Pretend it's a telephone game if you prefer, makes no difference to me. I know those neighborhoods, too, and my head isn't going in the sand.
 
Not clear on what a state school is in Great Britain. Does that mean a military academy? In the US, state school would sound like a public school, where all members of the public may attend, and no student would currently handle firearms with teachers.

Yes, a "public" school, albeit with a slightly odd setup.

Being a very traditional grammar school, it had a Combined Cadet Force and a bit of an establishment emphasis - a former pupil was an Admiral of the Fleet and there were quite a few visits from him and other officers who were former pupils.

We did have an armoury and rifle range next to the quartermasters stores.
 
Last edited:
Yes, a "public" school, albeit with a slightly odd setup.

Being a very traditional grammar school, it had a Combined Cadet Force and a bit of an establishment emphasis - a former pupil was an Admiral of the Fleet and there were quite a few visits from him and other officers who were former pupils.

We did have an armoury and rifle range next to the quartermasters stores.

Huh, interesting. Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was, and how common a practice? Was it a few schools who had prominent alumni or traditions with the military? Does this teaching continue, that you are aware?
 
Huh, interesting. Do you mind if I ask how long ago this was, and how common a practice? Was it a few schools who had prominent alumni or traditions with the military? Does this teaching continue, that you are aware?

Yes, the Combined Cadet Force is mostly in private schools but there are some state schools, especially grammar schools that have one or more sections.

It meant that the MOD paid for me to fly solo in a glider before I was legally allowed to start learning to drive.

<derail>
There are a few traditional grammar schools that are still state run funded. As far as I know, most are in Kent, Birmingham, Northern Ireland and parts of Manchester. It was a selective school, based on the 11-plus exam, which did mean that the parallel comprehensive system really didn'tdoesn't work in Kent (at least) as the comprehensive system is supposed to be for all abilities, but obviously most of the able pupils have gone to the grammar system*.



It also meant that the teachers had different challenges to other schools, because we had justified confidence in our academic ability, and it was fiercely competitive, which meant that a dimmer teacher could find themselves the slowest person in the class. That did happen on a few (very rare) occasions -especially if there was a cover teacher. It also wasn't very good for those kids who had had a good day when they took the test, because they spent the next 5-years at the bottom of the class, rather than (say the top three) in more usual distribution of ability.


*My kids in Derbyshire went/are going through the comprehensive system, and in a properly comprehensive system, and I have no reason to think they suffered academically compared to a grammar system

</derail>​
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom