• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Satanic Sculpture at Illinois Statehouse.

All Satan's minions. Next?


That's irrelevant. The question at hand is, will they traumatize Tiny Tina by being insufficiently festive for the equinoctial portion of the late autumn and early winter, to a sufficient degree as to make the people responsible seem dickish to you?
 
That's irrelevant. The question at hand is, will they traumatize Tiny Tina...

...I see what you politically correctly did, there...

...by being insufficiently festive for the equinoctial portion of the late autumn and early winter, to a sufficient degree as to make the people responsible seem dickish to you?

If the climate advocates claimed religious expression freedom to gain use of the space, and they chose a public facade of the mortal and moral adversary of other religious displays featured, then yes, quite dickish. Flamingly so.

If their environmental plea was over on the community bulliten board, they could at least throw a Santa hat or a yarmeluke or something on the polar bear. If not, maybe a tad phallic, if caught in the right light.
 
As a slightly related aside, it's Lucien GREAVES, not Graves, and, yes, it is a stage name. No idea if he had it legally changed to that or not. He's quite an intelligent and sensible speaker and writer.

For the record, while I think I disagree with Thermal's ultimate conclusion(s), I tend to agree with the thinking that got him there, i.e., I agree that while legally TST is a religion, rationally I don't think it is; and while TST had every right to insist on putting the display in Chicago, it isn't put there for the same reasons as the others and is a small poke-in-the-eye as opposed to a festival celebration or demonstration.

Where I differ is in concluding that either of those characterizations means either that the display is a tactical mistake or that its different purpose makes it inappropriate.
 
I find the idea that any contrary viewpoint display is dickish as exactly why they are necessary.

Then the contrary viewpoint is that of anti-celebration? Cuz the Satanists are clearly not celebrating anything.

That's the thing. Their point is valid. Their actual tactic was pointlessly snotty. There is a shade of difference being overlooked here.
 
Then the contrary viewpoint is that of anti-celebration? Cuz the Satanists are clearly not celebrating anything.

That's the thing. Their point is valid. Their actual tactic was pointlessly snotty. There is a shade of difference being overlooked here.

Again, why MUST they celebrate just because the Christians are? Expecting them to seems dickish to me.
 
Oh, I see now. It was all just a coincidence that the devil dudes wanted to display snakey handy thing in December. And that they call it' Snaketivity' is another one of those coincidences. You're right. It wasn't meant as a spit in the eye
 
Yes. That's correct. But we weren't talking about their actions, so I don't know where you are going with that? It is the rationale that is identical: being a church, they get a legal pass on religious expression grounds.
No, they get a pass on the "not trying to deny people fundamental rights based on sexual orientation" and the "not harassing and bringing lawsuits against bereaved and traumatized families" grounds.

Watch the video provided by Senex a couple posts up. The co-founder subtly acknowledges that it is the legal angles of being a church that they find convenient for their purposes.
Watch the various videos where Greaves explains WHY he believes his philosophies/beliefs actually ARE a (nontheistic) religion.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-x1N1j9dUM
Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxxftLiKzY&t=655s

As with the FSM, you don't actually get to decide whether a religion is "serious" or not; nor what it means to an individual who promotes/believes in it.
 
Last edited:
As a slightly related aside, it's Lucien GREAVES, not Graves, and, yes, it is a stage name. No idea if he had it legally changed to that or not. He's quite an intelligent and sensible speaker and writer.

For the record, while I think I disagree with Thermal's ultimate conclusion(s), I tend to agree with the thinking that got him there, i.e., I agree that while legally TST is a religion, rationally I don't think it is; and while TST had every right to insist on putting the display in Chicago, it isn't put there for the same reasons as the others and is a small poke-in-the-eye as opposed to a festival celebration or demonstration.

Where I differ is in concluding that either of those characterizations means either that the display is a tactical mistake or that its different purpose makes it inappropriate.

That's pretty much the way I see it.* I think as a sculpture it's tastefully done. It doesn't really say Satanism to me, either. If anything, it looks like they bought it off the shelf and decided to call it a Satanist Sculpture.




*Until it poked me in the eye!
 
Oh, I see now. It was all just a coincidence that the devil dudes wanted to display snakey handy thing in December. And that they call it' Snaketivity' is another one of those coincidences. You're right. It wasn't meant as a spit in the eye
Glad you understand now.

ETA: A better, real response is appropriate. When you've been excluded for, well, ever, isn't a little bit of sour grapes understandable? Anyone non-Christian has been thoughtlessly tread upon at this time of year, which is dickish. Turn about is...
 
Last edited:
Glad you understand now.

ETA: A better, real response is appropriate. When you've been excluded for, well, ever, isn't a little bit of sour grapes understandable? Anyone non-Christian has been thoughtlessly tread upon at this time of year, which is dickish. Turn about is...

Ok. When a nieghbor throws a party and your grandparents weren't invited to previous parties, do you piss on the decorations there, even though you are invited? I mean, turn about is...
 
Ok. When a nieghbor throws a party and your grandparents weren't invited to previous parties, do you piss on the decorations there, even though you are invited? I mean, turn about is...

Is my neighbor the government in this scenario?
 
Oh, I see now. It was all just a coincidence that the devil dudes wanted to display snakey handy thing in December. And that they call it' Snaketivity' is another one of those coincidences. You're right. It wasn't meant as a spit in the eye

I see now. It was just coincidence that the bible beaters wanted to have a celebration in December in an attempt to usurp a pagan celebration and decided to claim it was the son of Skydaddy's birthday, even though it wasn't.

As someone so elegantly put it, "**** Christians."
 
I see now. It was just coincidence that the bible beaters wanted to have a celebration in December in an attempt to usurp a pagan celebration and decided to claim it was the son of Skydaddy's birthday, even though it wasn't.

As someone so elegantly put it, "**** Christians."

Mildly NSFW :



So I guess modern Christians are just being wet-towel dicks then?
 
My five year old niece whispered her Xmas gift wish to a mall Santa this year. He blurted out 'but they're extinct!' My sister believes she asked for a live tyrannosaurus. I know this child. She asked for an army of live tyrannosaurs. Her twin is just as bad, preferring ankylosaurs on the incorrect but quite logical grounds that 'more spikes means more damage to enemies'. People who believe in the delicacy and innocence of children haven't actually talked to one.


Well, I mean, the highlighted kind of is an example of the innocence of children.

I gave my step-nieces some toy swords and was showing them how they move when the younger one (six) said something about learning the pen is mightier than the sword but she still thinks sword is better sometimes.

Smart girl. She loved it when I taught her the phrase, 'pen and sword, in accord'. Her and her sister then started singing about swords before I could explain the twofold path. That's ok; they already know.
 
Is my neighbor the government in this scenario?

The government...is not in...this scenario...or in...the OP...story.

Satanists requested to display their statuary. The Statehouse complied, as they were required to and should have. Govt's role then ends in this Holiday play. Exit, stage left.

Yes, it makes for a neatly canned argument to frame this as a rousing tale of the struggle between religious freedom, social norms, government resisting challenges, and the triumph of the oppressed minority. But Sweet Baby Jesus, that is not what is happening here. The govt is not oppressing anyone. The Christians have not launched the Battle of Armageddon. And no one is stifling the religious expression of pretend religions. Your paper tigers are all sleeping at your paper zoo.
 
Last edited:
I see now. It was just coincidence that the bible beaters wanted to have a celebration in December in an attempt to usurp a pagan celebration and decided to claim it was the son of Skydaddy's birthday, even though it wasn't.

As someone so elegantly put it, "**** Christians."

Are you holding contemporary secular celebrants responsible for Roman adoption and amalgamation of Christian/Pagan traditions spanning centuries? Its all Tiny Tina's fault, who came to see the pretty lights? **** her, you say?
 
No, they get a pass on the "not trying to deny people fundamental rights based on sexual orientation" and the "not harassing and bringing lawsuits against bereaved and traumatized families" grounds.

Still don't get where you are going with this.

Watch the various videos where Greaves explains WHY he believes his philosophies/beliefs actually ARE a (nontheistic) religion.

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-x1N1j9dUM
Here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbxxftLiKzY&t=655s

An hour and a half of viewing? Yeah, no. Although I did catch at the beginning of the second where he says they do not hold the Satan stuff in reverence. Nothing says 'real religion' like irreverence everything from the name of your sect on down.

As with the FSM, you don't actually get to decide whether a religion is "serious" or not; nor what it means to an individual who promotes/believes in it.

Actually, I do. Especially when it is blatant. After reading 'A Modest Proposal', i did not in fact eat anyone. That is because I recognized the blatant satire.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom