• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: The Trump Presidency 11: Insert something funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
More about Emoluments

The only real point of dispute between Trump’s defenders and his critics is over the meaning of the word “emolument.” Trump’s lawyers say “emolument” means only the money that is earned for holding an office (and not for renting a room or granting a lease). His critics say “emolument” means any profit, advantage, gain or benefit.

‘Originalist’ approach
Recently, Federal District Judge Peter J. Messitte sided with Trump’s critics as to the legal meaning of “emoluments,” and ruled that a lawsuit alleging violations of the emolument clauses could proceed.

It’s interesting that Messitte’s ruling relies heavily (but not exclusively) on an “originalist” approach. He notes in his opinion that the preponderance of the evidence shows that the common meaning in 1787 of the word “emolument” was any “profit,” “gain” or “advantage.” Nearly all dictionaries of the day followed this definition, and many authors and politicians at that time also used that definition. Trump’s alternative definition has almost no contemporaneous support, the judge ruled.

This is very interesting especially since I've only heard from Republicans the last 25 years is that the 'right way' to interpret the Constitution is to apply an originalist approach.

So, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
 
Ex Presidents have always been able to command exorbitant speaking fees.

I'm thinking the Trump will break this precedent, as he has many other POTUS precedents. He may even have to pay people to be in the audience when he decides to speak, as he has before.
 
Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.

I think that choice was made about a year ago and we're just now suffering the consequences of that choice. It will get worse for the USA, continually, for years, even after Trump is out of office.
 
This is very interesting especially since I've only heard from Republicans the last 25 years is that the 'right way' to interpret the Constitution is to apply an originalist approach.

So, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."

For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?
 
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."

For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?

I don't disagree with you at all. It just seems to me that Republicans have been waving that original intent flag for as long as I can remember.
 
This is very interesting especially since I've only heard from Republicans the last 25 years is that the 'right way' to interpret the Constitution is to apply an originalist approach.

So, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.

What quandary? They've generally been quite clear about what "principles" actually mean to them. They're a justification for the R good, D evil argument. Compassion is a sign of strength and goodness when Rs do it. Compassion is a sign of weakness and irresponsibility when D's do it. Meeting with NK to try for peace is reprehensible when Obama suggested it. Meeting with NK to try for peace is cause for tears of adulation when Trump wants to do it. Bombing Syria in response to chemical weapon usage is abominable when Obama wanted to do it and very praiseworthy when Trump wanted to do it.

Principles? Quandary? Pfft.


Oh, right. And for a bonus... Trump administration 'had a secret plan to lift Russian sanctions' and cede Ukraine territory to Moscow. #MRGA!
 
I spent way, way too much time in Florida during the 2012 election season on a work engagement. I'd never been in a battleground state during an election. It boggled my mind to see this poster plastered on billboards:



That was then, this is now.
 
...bSo, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
Am I misreading that? Heads I win tails you lose?

What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."...
And there are clear examples when the right wing hero, Scalia, did just that.
 
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."

For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?

Don't forget that all of the founders were fundy Christians, the constitution is based entirely on the Bible, and they intended only true believers (not including Jooz, Catlickers, Mooslims, and Presbyterians to be allowed to vote. Oh, and anybody not White and Male.
 
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."

For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?

Because the well regulated militia doesn't change the meaning of the rule. It could say, "In order to prevent witches curses." The rule does not include direction if the reason for it becomes irrelevant.
 
I suspect that the easiest way to make that determination would be to look at the bo9ks and see how much each country pays and how many services are delivered at Trump properties.

Of course, the president has absolutely no desire to open his books to show that he is not making absurdly large profits from certain countries. And that he is not making absurdly large profits from renting rooms to USSS agents who stay at Mar-a-Lago.

Any normal president would happily open the books in such a setting but not our president. It’s just one more ****-you that the president is throwing at the American public.
I don't disagree.
 
I think that choice was made about a year ago and we're just now suffering the consequences of that choice. It will get worse for the USA, continually, for years, even after Trump is out of office.
Yes. Poor Tesla is still thinking that the GOP has principles.

I really wish they still did. It would be better for the nation.
 
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."

For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?

When the 2000 election hung on a thread and Florida ordered a recount, the Supreme Court ruled against Florida. The 5 judges generally considered the most conservative and in favor of state's rights were the ones that ruled against Florida while the 4 most associated with the liberal side ruled in Florida's favor.

Consistency and Hobgoblins. :)
 
I just have to use two new words that I came across today that fit so well in this thread.

Trump is a clustertist (read that very carefully :)) who engages in quomodocunquizing.

Putting the "E" in ISF.
 
Trump Tweets

China has agreed to reduce and remove tariffs on cars coming into China from the U.S. Currently the tariff is 40%.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom