Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing
Make the President Taft Again!Classic. And pictures speak louder than words.
Attachments
Last edited:
Make the President Taft Again!Classic. And pictures speak louder than words.
The only real point of dispute between Trump’s defenders and his critics is over the meaning of the word “emolument.” Trump’s lawyers say “emolument” means only the money that is earned for holding an office (and not for renting a room or granting a lease). His critics say “emolument” means any profit, advantage, gain or benefit.
‘Originalist’ approach
Recently, Federal District Judge Peter J. Messitte sided with Trump’s critics as to the legal meaning of “emoluments,” and ruled that a lawsuit alleging violations of the emolument clauses could proceed.
It’s interesting that Messitte’s ruling relies heavily (but not exclusively) on an “originalist” approach. He notes in his opinion that the preponderance of the evidence shows that the common meaning in 1787 of the word “emolument” was any “profit,” “gain” or “advantage.” Nearly all dictionaries of the day followed this definition, and many authors and politicians at that time also used that definition. Trump’s alternative definition has almost no contemporaneous support, the judge ruled.
Ex Presidents have always been able to command exorbitant speaking fees.
Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."This is very interesting especially since I've only heard from Republicans the last 25 years is that the 'right way' to interpret the Constitution is to apply an originalist approach.
So, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."
For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?
This is very interesting especially since I've only heard from Republicans the last 25 years is that the 'right way' to interpret the Constitution is to apply an originalist approach.
So, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
Why would the red Cross tattoo people?
Am I misreading that? Heads I win tails you lose?...bSo, it seems as if the GOP is in a quandary. Either abandon long held principles or embrace Trumps corruption and sell the country out.
And there are clear examples when the right wing hero, Scalia, did just that.What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."...
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."
For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."
For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?
I don't disagree.I suspect that the easiest way to make that determination would be to look at the bo9ks and see how much each country pays and how many services are delivered at Trump properties.
Of course, the president has absolutely no desire to open his books to show that he is not making absurdly large profits from certain countries. And that he is not making absurdly large profits from renting rooms to USSS agents who stay at Mar-a-Lago.
Any normal president would happily open the books in such a setting but not our president. It’s just one more ****-you that the president is throwing at the American public.
Yes. Poor Tesla is still thinking that the GOP has principles.I think that choice was made about a year ago and we're just now suffering the consequences of that choice. It will get worse for the USA, continually, for years, even after Trump is out of office.
What principles? From all I've seen "originalist" just means "taking something literally when I agree, and creatively interpreting when I don't."
For example, the second amendment explicitly uses the context of "a well-regulated militia." In their gun rights rhetoric, have you ever heard the GOP talk about their militias, speaking favorably of the regulations imposed on them to keep the nutters out?
Hi! I am afraid that I am going to have to insist that you read the entire post to which I was replying, particularly the second sentence.
I just have to use two new words that I came across today that fit so well in this thread.
Trump is a clustertist (read that very carefully) who engages in quomodocunquizing.
Putting the "E" in ISF.
You mean clusterfist?