• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

New SCOTUS Judge II: The Wrath of Kavanaugh

...The piece didn't mention once any possibility that voters might be turned off by what the Democrats did.

Probably not. Don't take it personal, it's just business. And look on the bright side, you took the high-road!!
 
Trump Tweets

"The crowd in front of the U.S. Supreme Court is tiny, looks like about 200 people (& most are onlookers) - that wouldn’t even fill the first couple of rows of our Kansas Rally, or any of our Rallies for that matter! The Fake News Media tries to make it look sooo big, & it’s not!"

"I applaud and congratulate the U.S. Senate for confirming our GREAT NOMINEE, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the United States Supreme Court. Later today, I will sign his Commission of Appointment, and he will be officially sworn in. Very exciting!"
 
Trump Tweets

"The crowd in front of the U.S. Supreme Court is tiny, looks like about 200 people (& most are onlookers) - that wouldn’t even fill the first couple of rows of our Kansas Rally, or any of our Rallies for that matter! The Fake News Media tries to make it look sooo big, & it’s not!"
"I applaud and congratulate the U.S. Senate for confirming our GREAT NOMINEE, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the United States Supreme Court. Later today, I will sign his Commission of Appointment, and he will be officially sworn in. Very exciting!"

That is so funny considering what they did to the photos of Trump's inauguration.

Report: Trump’s Inauguration Pics Were Edited to Make the Crowd Look Bigger
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...on-pics-edited-to-make-crowd-look-bigger.html
 
Democrats are colluding with China right now.
Traitors the lot of them. The Democrat party should be banned and all its supporters locked up. They are the real enemy! War with China is inevitable, and when it comes we must round up all the liberals and put them in concentration camps where they belong!

Shalamar said:
2020 will come, the Democrats will win house senate and the Presidency
No. If Dimms try to steal the election we will delay it until all the fraudsters are locked up - even if the elections have to be deferred indefinitely.

Nice to see you are in favor of a one party conservative fascist state. Refreshing to see such honesty from the right.
No, it's the Dimms who are trying to turn America into a fascist state. Fascism and Communism are the same, Hitler was a liberal.

Diablo said:
So someone elected president can freely commit any crime they want without recourse
No, it cannot be a crime if the president does it - unless he is a Democrat (in which case everything he does is criminal - by definition).

The Big Dog said:
Brett Kavanaugh is officially confirmed!

Great day for America.
This is a great day for many people. A great day for rapists who wish to prevent women from aborting their babies. A great day for bigots and racists and Deplorables of all stripes - and a great day for those of us who hate America!

But this is just the beginning. Once the Wall is up we can deport the 3 million liberal illegal voters to ensure that Trump gets reelected. Then we nuke China.

MAGA!
 
For the SCOTUS, I think the partisanship will solidify Roberts's and Kagan's position that the court needs to stay dialed back and make as narrow rulings as possible. Roberts is the new median, but not much of a swing vote.

As for the midterms, we have to wait and see the effect of his actual confirmation is. That's a big event in and of itself.
 
Traitors the lot of them. The Democrat party should be banned and all its supporters locked up. They are the real enemy! War with China is inevitable, and when it comes we must round up all the liberals and put them in concentration camps where they belong!

No. If Dimms try to steal the election we will delay it until all the fraudsters are locked up - even if the elections have to be deferred indefinitely.

No, it's the Dimms who are trying to turn America into a fascist state. Fascism and Communism are the same, Hitler was a liberal.

No, it cannot be a crime if the president does it - unless he is a Democrat (in which case everything he does is criminal - by definition).

This is a great day for many people. A great day for rapists who wish to prevent women from aborting their babies. A great day for bigots and racists and Deplorables of all stripes - and a great day for those of us who hate America!

But this is just the beginning. Once the Wall is up we can deport the 3 million liberal illegal voters to ensure that Trump gets reelected. Then we nuke China.

MAGA!

Cool story
 
I can't imagine what the country would be with Donald Trump as our president. For the country, it could be four years. For the court, it could be — I don’t even want to contemplate that. He is a faker, and really has an ego. Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand.

-- Ruth Bader Ginsburg (July 13, 2016)


Jeff Flake says he was 'very troubled' by Brett Kavanaugh's 'partisan' remarks: 'We just can't have that on the court'.

-- Newsweek (Oct 2, 2018)
 
Which voters are you referring to? Every poll that I've seen has shown that far more members of the public opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation than supported it. So are you referring to senators as "voters"?

We'll never know for sure what the effect will be, but I know the Republicans are crowing about how poll numbers have changed since the hearings.


Of course, people always say that their side is winning, and we won't know until November, and even then we won't be able to say for certain whether the Kavanaugh hearings, or something else, influenced the vote. I just know that in the opinion pieces I read, they act as if people like me don't exist. I'm a lifelong solidly Democratic voter, and I was really appalled by what the Democrats did. I don't think the words "high school yearbook" should ever be uttered at a confirmation hearing. The opinion pieces analyzing the election talk about energizing the Republican base, as if the only people who didn't approve of the Democratic performance were the deplorables. Maybe they are right. Maybe people like me are statistically insignificant, and besides, I'm still going to vote for Debby Stabenow.


Still, the fact that they don't even mention voters who didn't approve of the Democrats, or if they do mention it, they talk about those voters (i.e. me and some other people) as "the Republican base", just makes me think that they aren't really getting the big picture.
 
It's a significant difference, one that others seem to grasp. If she says "This didn't happen," she is asserting as an absolute fact that there could not have been the party Ford describes. If she says "I don't remember anything like this," she's simply stating her own knowledge and memory.
That distinction has been completely lost on a couple of posters in this thread. Honest conservative posters realize there's a difference between "I don't remember" and "It didn't happen." But not all of them are honest.

Here's something I find encouraging: Broad minded people, relative "liberals," are realizing the government is not going to save them. Many see the government as a hostile entity at this point, and I think that's actually kind of healthy. It's what conservatives have been telling us for years.

The why this guy on Kavanaugh leads me to suspect two things: That Kavanaugh is bought and paid for; and/or that maximum acrimony and polarization was the whole point all along. It literally didn't even matter who won, in policy terms; yet even on this board tempers are flaring because the dystopian posters are calling the more measured ones enablers of a white supremacist agenda.
 
As long as the R's have the majority in the Senate and the VP is Republican (in a tight majority), I suspect Manchin will continue to do what he just did.
The highlighted part is exactly the issue. It's better if Democratic senators don't lose their seats.
 
We'll never know for sure what the effect will be, but I know the Republicans are crowing about how poll numbers have changed since the hearings.


Of course, people always say that their side is winning, and we won't know until November, and even then we won't be able to say for certain whether the Kavanaugh hearings, or something else, influenced the vote. I just know that in the opinion pieces I read, they act as if people like me don't exist. I'm a lifelong solidly Democratic voter, and I was really appalled by what the Democrats did. I don't think the words "high school yearbook" should ever be uttered at a confirmation hearing. The opinion pieces analyzing the election talk about energizing the Republican base, as if the only people who didn't approve of the Democratic performance were the deplorables. Maybe they are right. Maybe people like me are statistically insignificant, and besides, I'm still going to vote for Debby Stabenow.


Still, the fact that they don't even mention voters who didn't approve of the Democrats, or if they do mention it, they talk about those voters (i.e. me and some other people) as "the Republican base", just makes me think that they aren't really getting the big picture.

I'm going to go with "people like you are statistically insignificant".

Support for Kavanaugh was already divided along party lines when the allegations became public. Since then, partisans have become even more deeply entrenched in their beliefs. As the table below indicates, Democrats have been strongly opposed to Kavanaugh since the beginning of the confirmation battle, with 45 percent believing him unqualified and 61 percent favoring rejection of his nomination on Sept. 8. At the same time, three-fourths of Republicans deemed Kavanaugh qualified and wanted him confirmed.

In the weeks since, these positions have hardened even further. In the Sept. 29 poll, the proportion of Democrats who thought Kavanaugh was unqualified rose by nearly 30 percentage points, with 83 percent of them opposing his confirmation. During the same period, Republican support for the judge’s confirmation rose to 78 percent, with 80 percent saying he was qualified for the position. In other words, the number of Republicans who found Kavanaugh “qualified” to serve on the Supreme Court increased even as Senate Democrats portrayed him as morally unfit for the job.

...

At that point, a majority of independents with an opinion on the matter (64 percent) believed Kavanaugh was qualified, while a plurality thought he should be confirmed (29 percent-20 percent). However, in the three weeks since the allegations first surfaced, independent have become significantly more aware of — and more opposed to — the president’s nominee. By Sept. 22, 52 percent of them had heard “a lot” about the nomination, a number that rose to 65 percent by Sept. 29. This increased attention turned independent opinion against Kavanaugh, and as of today, those individuals firmly oppose his appointment to the court (43 percent-24 percent).

Linky.

If it has an impact in favor of the Republicans, it will be due to turnout and energizing the base. But that said, the confirmation itself could dial that back after the nomination fight.
 
That distinction has been completely lost on a couple of posters in this thread. Honest conservative posters realize there's a difference between "I don't remember" and "It didn't happen." But not all of them are honest.

Here's something I find encouraging: Broad minded people, relative "liberals," are realizing the government is not going to save them. Many see the government as a hostile entity at this point, and I think that's actually kind of healthy. It's what conservatives have been telling us for years.

The why this guy on Kavanaugh leads me to suspect two things: That Kavanaugh is bought and paid for; and/or that maximum acrimony and polarization was the whole point all along. It literally didn't even matter who won, in policy terms; yet even on this board tempers are flaring because the dystopian posters are calling the more measured ones enablers of a white supremacist agenda.

“Nothing unifies Republicans and fires up Republicans more than a court fight,” McConnell said Saturday in the phone interview. "Our opponents on the Kavanaugh confirmation have done what we were unable to figure out how to do ourselves, which is to get our core supporters really energized and really anxious to go vote.”

Linky.
 
McCaskill is at risk. I think the Senate will stay with GOP. Kavanaugh can even help by holding up gerrymandering.

By 2020, big changes. End of Trump. Maybe before that.
 
Amen. Justice Kavanaugh clearly got a raw deal. The fact that Feinstein sat on the letter and sprung it at the 11th hour after the hearing and after answering 1000 plus written questions is very telling. And then total scumbags like Avenatti got involved.

The drunken douchebag did not get a raw deal. He was asked questions. That is all. It is part of advice and consent to explore the backgrounds of candidates for the court. I know you think it is their jobs to rubber stamp whatever Trumpturd says or does, but the Constitution doesn't see it that way.
 
Maybe it's good he's off the lower court now.
In one of the oddest pieces I've turned up, Politico had this to say:

Teenage immigrant abortion case could be hurdle for Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court bid

Kavanaugh's critics say his actions in the case showed a concerning tendency toward caution and compromise.
"We're being pushed in a span of 24 hours to make a sweeping constitutional ruling in one direction or another. And when that happens the Supreme Court and this Court often look are there other avenues to resolving a dispute short of that, initially," Kavanaugh said. "And it seems to me...if she were released to a sponsor, that would solve the Government's objection. That would allow J.D. to be released from custody, which presumably would be a good thing, and it would allow her to obtain the abortion if she so chooses."
I don't know what to make of this, but in the article he is being criticized for not being enough of a conservative ideologue. It could all have been an attempt to deceive, as his call for a sponsor could have been nothing but a delaying tactic.

Where I disagree with him strongly is the presumption that a 17-year-old would necessarily benefit from discussing the matter with an adult. I think 17 is an adult under these circumstances, but technically, legally, she wasn't one, so he had a legal leg to stand on.

I wonder how many 17-year-olds have been talked out of abortions ... but I also wonder how many 17-year-olds have been talked into them. No one should be forced, one way or another, but I wonder which direction things usually go.
 
McCaskill is at risk. I think the Senate will stay with GOP. Kavanaugh can even help by holding up gerrymandering.

By 2020, big changes. End of Trump. Maybe before that.

McCaskill always seems to win by the tiniest of margins. There is Tester and Nelson to worry about as well. But AZ looks like it will flip and Texas is a lot closer than I expected it to be.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom