• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

New SCOTUS Judge II: The Wrath of Kavanaugh

I applaud and congratulate the U.S. Senate for confirming our GREAT NOMINEE, Judge Brett Kavanaugh, to the United States Supreme Court. Later today, I will sign his Commission of Appointment, and he will be officially sworn in. Very exciting!

-- President Donald J. Trump (Oct 6, 2018)


Trump promised to appoint a conservative judge to the supreme court.

Promise made, promise kept. Re-elect Trump in 2020!
 
I think it is a distinction without a real difference. If old friends urge you to change what amounts to a sworn statement, you will certainly feel some pressure when making a decision, or just dealing with it, because it puts you in a very awkward position. In this case that would have been amplified due to the importance of Leeland's statement. It was and is the single most important piece of evidence, the one that got Kavanaugh confirmed, IMO.

It's a significant difference, one that others seem to grasp. If she says "This didn't happen," she is asserting as an absolute fact that there could not have been the party Ford describes. If she says "I don't remember anything like this," she's simply stating her own knowledge and memory. At a time when a lot of kids were going to a lot of drunken parties, for her to say "I don't remember this particular party" is probably closer to the truth. She wouldn't have any reason to remember any particular party where nothing bad happened to her and she didn't see anything bad happen to anybody else.
 
Last edited:
I think it is a distinction without a real difference. If old friends urge you to change what amounts to a sworn statement, you will certainly feel some pressure when making a decision, or just dealing with it, because it puts you in a very awkward position. In this case that would have been amplified due to the importance of Leeland's statement. It was and is the single most important piece of evidence, the one that got Kavanaugh confirmed, IMO.

No, there is a very definite distinction. Pressuring is closer to coercing whereas urging is closer to encouraging. Keyser did not change anything; she amended her statement. She still said she did not remember such a party but simply added that she still believed Ford.
 
I've been reading some reaction pieces, specifically about the political fallout.

The liberals in the media really don't get what just happened. They're clueless. One piece described how the Democrats were outmaneuvered by the people on the Judiciary Committee, suggesting they kind of cheated in their attempts to shove Kavanaugh through. The piece didn't mention once any possibility that voters might be turned off by what the Democrats did.

I'm getting the same sinking feeling that I got the weekend before the last election, listening to the Hillary Clinton attack ad on Donald Trump, and cringing because I could hear the sound of an election being thrown.

All through the summer we've seen headlines about the pending "blue wave". I just have a feeling that it is not going to happen I guess we'll find out next month.
 
I've been reading some reaction pieces, specifically about the political fallout.

The liberals in the media really don't get what just happened. They're clueless. One piece described how the Democrats were outmaneuvered by the people on the Judiciary Committee, suggesting they kind of cheated in their attempts to shove Kavanaugh through. The piece didn't mention once any possibility that voters might be turned off by what the Democrats did.

I'm getting the same sinking feeling that I got the weekend before the last election, listening to the Hillary Clinton attack ad on Donald Trump, and cringing because I could hear the sound of an election being thrown.

All through the summer we've seen headlines about the pending "blue wave". I just have a feeling that it is not going to happen I guess we'll find out next month.

You Arne likely correct. There won’t be a blue wave, but I think that the Democrats will make some gains, just not as much as they want. The Republicans will cheer and say that it’s the will of the people, but ignore the very narrow margins that they will have won or held onto seats. The country will become even more divided, and the right will blame the left, of course.

2020 will come, the Democrats will win house senate and the Presidency, and the right will scream that the election was stolen, and basically whine complain and be snowflakes.
 
You Arne likely correct. There won’t be a blue wave, but I think that the Democrats will make some gains, just not as much as they want. The Republicans will cheer and say that it’s the will of the people, but ignore the very narrow margins that they will have won or held onto seats. The country will become even more divided, and the right will blame the left, of course.

2020 will come, the Democrats will win house senate and the Presidency, and the right will scream that the election was stolen, and basically whine complain and be snowflakes.

Whine, complain and act like snowflakes?

You mean like the Democrats?

Justice Brett Kavanaugh. Damn that sounds good.
 
You Arne likely correct. There won’t be a blue wave, but I think that the Democrats will make some gains, just not as much as they want. The Republicans will cheer and say that it’s the will of the people, but ignore the very narrow margins that they will have won or held onto seats. The country will become even more divided, and the right will blame the left, of course.

2020 will come, the Democrats will win house senate and the Presidency, and the right will scream that the election was stolen, and basically whine complain and be snowflakes.

I think one of the things I hate about politics are when people pick apart the meaning of events particularly when it is all one big non-sequitur. Will voters a month from now vote for or against their local representatives because of Kavanaugh? Maybe, maybe not. But everyone is pulling their opinion out of their ass at this point.

Kavanaugh was expected to be confirmed and was on pretty much a straight party vote.
This is hardly a surprise. Will the uproar over his appointment lead to mobilizing Democrats or Republicans? How the hell could we possibly know at this moment? I don't think we can.
 
I've been reading some reaction pieces, specifically about the political fallout.

The liberals in the media really don't get what just happened. They're clueless. One piece described how the Democrats were outmaneuvered by the people on the Judiciary Committee, suggesting they kind of cheated in their attempts to shove Kavanaugh through.

Ehh. It wasn't cheating so much as openly declaring, yet again, that they care about party over country.

The piece didn't mention once any possibility that voters might be turned off by what the Democrats did.

There's a big question there, though. What did the Democrats actually do? That's very much distinct from what the Republicans claimed that they did, generally without evidence. It sure sounds like Feinstein likely sat on Ford's letter until after someone else poked the media about the issue, for example. Kavanaugh's pre-emptive contacts to old buddies may well be the reason why much of this ended up in the spotlight, too. Your disgust with them asking him even basic questions about his drinking when that was a major issue at hand was a pretty good indicator that "what the Democrats did" may well be little more than a baseless reflexive defense mechanism for many, regardless. One that the GOP is happy to exploit.

Many Democrats certainly did oppose him all along for a number of reasons, yes, certainly not least being that he was chosen from a list that he was put on because the people expected him to kill Roe vs. Wade (even if not directly, by upholding measures that effectively gut it in practical application). Not rubberstamping a candidate selected for what looks pretty clearly to be terrible reasons for America is, after all, a horrible thing.

All through the summer we've seen headlines about the pending "blue wave". I just have a feeling that it is not going to happen I guess we'll find out next month.

Indeed. That will probably be one of the best tests of how truthful the competing narratives are, overall.
 
Last edited:
I think one of the things I hate about politics are when people pick apart the meaning of events particularly when it is all one big non-sequitur. Will voters a month from now vote for or against their local representatives because of Kavanaugh? Maybe, maybe not. But everyone is pulling their opinion out of their ass at this point.

Kavanaugh was expected to be confirmed and was on pretty much a straight party vote.
This is hardly a surprise. Will the uproar over his appointment lead to mobilizing Democrats or Republicans? How the hell could we possibly know at this moment? I don't think we can.

I think it's all wishful thinking on both sides right now.

I think the most important event will be what comes out of the Mueller report.
 
I think it's all wishful thinking on both sides right now.

I think the most important event will be what comes out of the Mueller report.

After what was done with the Kavanaugh report, I think that there are a number of people who are expecting Trump to try to do the same or worse with Mueller's report.
 
The liberals in the media really don't get what just happened. They're clueless. One piece described how the Democrats were outmaneuvered by the people on the Judiciary Committee, suggesting they kind of cheated in their attempts to shove Kavanaugh through. The piece didn't mention once any possibility that voters might be turned off by what the Democrats did.

Which voters are you referring to? Every poll that I've seen has shown that far more members of the public opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation than supported it. So are you referring to senators as "voters"?
 
After what was done with the Kavanaugh report, I think that there are a number of people who are expecting Trump to try to do the same or worse with Mueller's report.

Oh, he's trying, he's trying already with his attacks against the FBI and Mueller personally.
The problem for Trump, though, is that he and the Republicans cannot control what Mueller can investigate like they did with the Kavanaugh investigation. Anyone who believes the FBI wasn't restricted in that is a fool.
 
...Will the uproar over his appointment lead to mobilizing Democrats or Republicans? How the hell could we possibly know at this moment? I don't think we can.


There is evidence that all of the Trump/Republican shenanigans, Kavanaugh being only the latest and most glaring, is energizing one part of the electorate. Women.

And Kavanaugh is only the latest and most glaring of the way this administration is catering to Big Business and fat cat conservatives at the expense of the rest of us. There's all kinds of stuff going on that is much lower-key and the effects are primarily local. It is a truly a nightmare.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom