Thermal
August Member
I would posit that the below makes the above moot.
Yes, the above are sidebar technicalities, mildly interesting standalone discussion. The below is the money shot.
I would posit that the below makes the above moot.
Yes, the above are sidebar technicalities, mildly interesting standalone discussion.
The below is the money shot.
No. They are intentional distractions that aim to derail the entire conversation away from the real issue. Don't let the dog wag the conversation, or something like that.
I believe I introduced the term schoolyard shove, so a quick clarification:
In mechanics and, I believe, intent, it was a schoolyard or barroom shove. Open hands forcefully struck at chest as a dominance or knock down move. Mc Glocklin walked up to deliver it, and pretty damned slowly. He was no schoolboy, so I'm sure it was hella powerful, but it was no attacking move. Strategically, it makes no sense to push your victim down and away from you.
Your video shows pretty clearly that they are squarelyface to face. This just isn't a blindside. Blindside is the side that you are blind on. Drejka may have been distracted and didn't see the casual strolling approach, but face to face is not a blind side.
...
A couple updates:
Not only do Republican Florida Legislators say the Sheriff was incorrect, even the ******* NRA says the Sheriff was incorrect.
Another red herring that Gualtieri repeatedly mentioned was the right of someone who claims he used force in self-defense to a pretrial hearing at which prosecutors must disprove that claim by "clear and convincing evidence," a standard added by the 2017 law. While prosecutors have to make that showing before proceeding with a trial, the standard for making an arrest is still probable cause.
The sheriff seemed less keen on the 2017 revision. "The state attorney has the burden of proof, by clear and convincing evidence, that the defendant, the shooter, is not entitled to Stand Your Ground," he said. "Nowhere else is there anything like this in criminal law….That's a very heavy standard, and it puts the burden on the state." But neither that provision nor the rule allowing victims of public attacks to stand their ground was relevant in deciding whether there was probable cause to arrest Drejka.
The contention that they were "squared up" face-to-face and that he shoved him with two hands in the chest is yet another, well lets call it what it was, a bald faced lie.
Folks this is easily proven by the fact the victim goes flying, not straight back, but off to the side.
Just another example of how the facts show that this was pure self defense. I mean, if y'all got make up things to try to stay even with the big dog, why bother?
Case closed.
Fine. McGlocklin raced up behind him in World Star Hip Hop stealth attack mode and landed a massive not-at-all-face-to-face shove...no, wait: punch from behind. Happy now?
As you opined, the World Star Hip Hop Stomping ended by the time the gun was drawn. It was not, by your own argument, self defense.
Case indeed closed.
I struck through the lies, but otherwise spot on!
The contention that they were "squared up" face-to-face and that he shoved him with two hands in the chest is yet another, well lets call it what it was, a bald faced lie.
Folks this is easily proven by the fact the victim goes flying, not straight back, but off to the side.
Just another example of how the facts show that this was pure self defense. I mean, if y'all got make up things to try to stay even with the big dog, why bother?
Case closed.
This is what makes you such a stellar parody poster. The brazenness of asserting black is white to suit a losing argument, the refusal to acknowledge that they were plainly face to face in the clear security footage, the doublethink, the comical attempts to Jedi-mind-trick readers, it's just...
*kisses fingertips*
I struck through the lies, but otherwise spot on!
wrong, the attack had not ended, the attacker was coming in for stomping time, and was stopped only because the gun was drawn, plus the whole thing lasted six seconds, and you are parsing out the moments after the victim got knocked on his ass? Ridiculous
Although I agree that it shouldn't be allowed to become a smoke and mirror move.
Maybe you can edit this post too:
"face to face"
oy vey, such lies.
I think you can see that is becoming that, can't you?
No need, but seeing as how many correspondents ignore the clear as day context:
"wrong, the attack had not ended, the attacker was coming in for stomping time, and was stopped only because the gun was drawn, he aimed for center mass, pulled the trigger, plus the whole thing lasted six seconds, and you are parsing out the moments after the victim got knocked on his ass? Ridiculous
Clear enough for ya?
Sort of. I would say the main point is as thoroughly discussed as it can be, with general agreement. Is there any non-parody argument left? Just some quibbling over how much of a threat Drejka could reasonably have been under, which I think falls closer to the sidebars.