I am only interested in access to all the E book titles currently, this is my key query.
Can Australians access all titles, this is what I am not clear about.
This is weird, there must be something simple I am missing, but I have heard this. I just checked on a title I bought, and yes I could have bought it through the Australian website.Depends on the publisher, there have been a few titles I've tried to get that were not available in the UK and then you are stuffed as you can only use your local Kindle store.
So far, there's no amazon.dk.
Whenever I buy stuff from amazon.com, also Kindle books, the Danish VAT is added to the price by Amazon and, I assume, transferred to the Danish state.
ETA: It may be an EU thing, I don't know.
This is weird, there must be something simple I am missing, but I have heard this. I just checked on a title I bought, and yes I could have bought it through the Australian website.
I remember the Knox book was banned from UK purchase, but surely that is a special case.
Ok maybe it is simply a case of the English publisher preferring you buy the more expensive hard copy.
And now I think about it I believe you could get the Kindle Knox in England.
What is the difference between paying sales tax on goods purchased in a shop in NZ and the same goods bought on-line and shipped into NZ?
I live in Germany. As opposed to you, there is an amazon.de.
Amazon does not allow me to buy e-books from amazon.com. I can buy everything else there, even physical books, but not e-books. I have to use amazon.de for e-books.
I think you'll find that's called smuggling.
You’re not an “all tax is theft” advocate are you?
What is the difference between paying sales tax on goods purchased in a shop in NZ and the same goods bought on-line and shipped into NZ?
You’re not an “all tax is theft” advocate are you?
The digital scrapbooking shop where I've worked the past 10 years manages to do this with EU addresses just fine so I'm pretty sure the Amazombies can write the necessary code.
It might have been a hassle in the days of double-entry ledgers, but we're long past that, and why should we give Amazon the business boost of being able to sell without charging taxes?
Depends on the publisher, there have been a few titles I've tried to get that were not available in the UK and then you are stuffed as you can only use your local Kindle store.
Because the company itself thinks it's able to bully a whole nation by dint of massive financial power and thereby retain just one of its many advantages over local traders.
At a guess.
I need someone to explain the " social ramifications " to me...
Access to all available books ever written will result in the most advanced social circumstance. And it means the thread is started in the correct section.I need someone to explain the " social ramifications " to me...
Instead, Australians will only be allowed to shop at Amazon Australia, which for years at least looks set to offer only an inferior range of goods at higher prices.
The move by Amazon came largely out-of-the-blue, and it is only possible to guess at its motivation and end game.
It may be that Amazon has simply decided it doesn't have the time, inclination or perhaps the capacity to implement the necessary systems changes to collect GST.
It may have made a late call that it is better off stomaching some loss of Australian sales, compensating for that by driving more custom to its local Australian store.
Or it may have made a more calculated decision to punish Australia for its new tax policy to try to dissuade other governments around the world from being tempted to follow its lead.
