• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Who determines the number of genders- and how?

Again focusing too much on the terms and labels and not enough on the distinctions people are trying to make does everyone a disservice.

Honestly this whole thing just reads like 3 or more separate... errrr axis's I guess you'd call it overlapping.

On a biological level we have the two sexes, male and female. And yes I know intersex people exist as a biological concept but they are rare, often even one off cases and I ever so wish that progressives would understand that "Exception Worshiping" is not the purest form of "Inclusion."

Then we get sexual orientation; straight, gay, bi, asexual... really does seem like it should cover everything and I have zero idea what meaningful distinction terms like pansexual and the absolute nightmare of all labels Tumblr has come up with are acually trying to say. You like sex with other genders, you like sex with your gender, you like sex with both genders (I realized I probably just answered my own question there....) or you don't like sex at all and I don't really see outside of either branding or "I want to feel special so I need a new label" (which by the way at some point we have to addreess is a lot of this) how anything else would fit in there in any meaningful sense that actually defines or describes anything new.

And now for the 3rd axis, gender identity... and the one I understand the least. Transgender, as in used in the concept of a person who wants to biologically be or plans or wants to transition biology to another biological sex... yeah I get that because there's a functional difference being described.

But pretty much after that all concepts of gender identity... do sort just stop making sense to me. Since I don't think biological men and women should have societal restrictions placed on them the idea of some special subcategory of people subverting them is meaningless to me.

Look at it this way. Let's look at once common but slightly older and archiac term that has mostly fallen out of use... crossdresser. A crossdresser was (is, I'm sure the subculture still exists in some context) a person who preferred to wear the clothing of the other gender.

See the problem? For that concept to have any meaning at all you have to agree that men and women are required by some level; social, legal, whatever to wear different clothing. If you don't, if you think men should be able to wear skirts and women to wear to wear pants and so forth... the concept stops being meaningful.

And that's basically been my whole problem with gender politics in general in the last decade or so. It's honestly seemed like a concentrated effort to bring back all the old genders roles and rules I thought we were trying to get rid of for the sole purpose of letting a subculture feel special for subverting them.
 
'Trans', used in transgender/sexual, has a different meaning than translunar, transneptonian or transcontinental. So using 'cis' as the flipside is based on equivocating (I think cis is an unnecessary modifier)

No, actually, the trans used for transgender hass the exact same meaning as transneptunian. Not sure what difference you think there is.
 
No, actually, the trans used for transgender hass the exact same meaning as transneptunian. Not sure what difference you think there is.

IIRC, transneptunian means beyond Neptune, referring to Pluto and the dwarfs. A transgender is not beyond gender, so cis is not its complement.

Nevermind. I just think cis is a pointless modifier.
 
IIRC, transneptunian means beyond Neptune, referring to Pluto and the dwarfs. A transgender is not beyond gender, so cis is not its complement.

"Trans" means "other" or "on the other side of". That's exactly hat "transgender" is meant to convey. It's a science term applied to gender, so both cis ("this side") and trans apply.
 
It has multiple usages. According to a quick google etymology search it means "across" in latin, which in astrological context apparently means "beyond". Makes sense to me. Even for gender it makes sense as "beyond sex" ie different than just one's sex.

cis IS a pointless modifier 99% of the time, because almost all discussions about men and women aren't about making such a distinction. Sometimes, the distinction is necessary and having a convenient, easy-to-understand (at least to anyone who took high school chemistry) label for this is ideal.
 
"Cis" is a term hijacked from organic chemistry. When I first heard it in this context I laughed because I thought it was an obscure joke. That would be about 20 years ago. I haven't heard it much since, but as it's infiltrating into society women are reacting against it because of its connotations.

We are women. Find another word for people who want to be women or wish they were women.

OK, so you are actually a transphobe. That's unfortunate.

"Cis" is not offensive or derogatory. That's ridiculous.
 
OK, so you are actually a transphobe.

Could you point to what in Rolfe's post identifies her as a transphobe? Because from where I stand, you seem to simply be labeling someone who disagrees with you on one aspect of this topic thus without justification.

But then, you're the one who accused me of defending child molesters because I argued that the word "pedophile" didn't fit the particular case we were discussing in that thread, so I don't expect much in terms of justification.
 
(I think cis is an unnecessary modifier)

I agree with you. Only one needs a modifier and one already exists, "trans." Cis is superfluous.

I also think the labels "male" and "female" are reversed because of ignorance. The two labels make it appear that the "fe" in female is the modifier but it is males that are modified.

I read through some of the language used by proponents of multi-genders and it is extremely muddled. Some definitions given have a disclaimer immediately following them saying "This isn't really the definition because there is so much more to it than that."

It seems to me that language is designed to express, and clarify, concepts and the language used does the exact opposite.
 
It has multiple usages. According to a quick google etymology search it means "across" in latin, which in astrological context apparently means "beyond". Makes sense to me. Even for gender it makes sense as "beyond sex" ie different than just one's sex.

I wouldn't use either 'across' or 'beyond' to describe a transgender's situation though, so I guess that's why it seems a little equivocal.

cis IS a pointless modifier 99% of the time, because almost all discussions about men and women aren't about making such a distinction. Sometimes, the distinction is necessary and having a convenient, easy-to-understand (at least to anyone who took high school chemistry) label for this is ideal.

It can have a use in certain contexts, true. That it gets pulled into discussion as a necessary modifier is when I question the usage. A guy being told to refer to himself as a binary cishet male is creating a needless subset.
 
I wouldn't use either 'across' or 'beyond' to describe a transgender's situation though, so I guess that's why it seems a little equivocal.

Neither would I. The modifier 'trans' to me is better described as 'spanning.' Trans-gender then means all the area between the two extreme points of male and female.
 
I also think the labels "male" and "female" are reversed because of ignorance. The two labels make it appear that the "fe" in female is the modifier but it is males that are modified.

What do you mean?

It's superfluous in that role.

Not any more than "right-handed" is superfluous just becausae 90% of humans are right-handed. It just has a more limited use.
 
Would you say the same thing about "straight" (meaning heterosexual)?

Isn't the only modifier we need the word "gay"? Why do we need a modifier for the rest of us?

Odd how you never find anyone whining that "heterosexual" is derogatory.
 
Once again, humans are utterly confused by the difference between using of language to define things in the real world, and using of language to invent things that don't exist in the real world.
 
It just means that they don't correspond to usual gender expectations. Trans-woman is just short for "transgender woman".

Yes. I know. But across-gender, beyond-gender, on-the-other-side-of-gender all make absolutely no sense (I didn't see the stand-alone 'other' while flipping through definitions for trans).
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom