• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Who determines the number of genders- and how?

There's a number (I don't know it qualifies as "a lot" or whatever) of people on the internet who are or claim to be transwomen, who are real jerks and some say some really outrageously nutty things. They seem to operate in cliques and like dog-piling people over nothing. I'm not sure what all's going on there, but I guess it's safe to say they're probably psychologically broken in some way, and it results in attention-seeking, dramatic behavior.

Be sure to check out pharyngula blog started by the Lord God Peezus himself. I'm sure they'll be some guest blogger on there who's a lesbian and ultra-feminist who doesn't believe that transgenderism is actually a "thing". Or maybe that's on Butterflies and Wheels blog? I get those two mixed up sometimes.
 
Myers would never allow such a thing and Benson was kicked off FtB for being a TERF.
 
I'm looking for the screen grab of the post where the man in a dress claiming to be a lesbian described his date freaking out when she discovered he had a penis, but so far I can't find it. I saw it twice yesterday but people may be wary of sharing it if they think it might be faked.

Every discussion is a battle against such misunderstandings. If we can just accept the socially constructed nature of these concepts and that our lables do not define real fixed in stone real-world-objects, or Platanic ideal forms, things would be a lot better. The person with male genetalia identifying as a woman and lesbian is ignoring this and knowingly playing a different language game than the surprised party.
 
Be sure to check out pharyngula blog started by the Lord God Peezus himself. I'm sure they'll be some guest blogger on there who's a lesbian and ultra-feminist who doesn't believe that transgenderism is actually a "thing". Or maybe that's on Butterflies and Wheels blog? I get those two mixed up sometimes.

I'm sure there are.

Honestly, I try to stay away from leftwing internet circles that aren't primarily focused on economics or local politics, because it's such a minefield of people looking for a fight and hoping someone says something that can be attacked furiously. I mean, the whole internet has that problem to some degree, but the "identity politics" left is the worst (outside of the alt-right, I'd assume, but I've never been tempted to put in my 2 cents with them, or even lurk, for that matter.)
 
Myers would never allow such a thing and Benson was kicked off FtB for being a TERF.

They went cannibal on Benson? Makes you wonder if "peak id-pol" might be a thing overall.
 
I'm sure there are.

Honestly, I try to stay away from leftwing internet circles that aren't primarily focused on economics or local politics, because it's such a minefield of people looking for a fight and hoping someone says something that can be attacked furiously. I mean, the whole internet has that problem to some degree, but the "identity politics" left is the worst (outside of the alt-right, I'd assume, but I've never been tempted to put in my 2 cents with them, or even lurk, for that matter.)

It's not really a leftwing thing. It's more like the soft white underbelly of the skeptic/rationalist movement that nobody wants to talk about (like that crazy uncle/aunt in the family) because they're all bat crap crazy.
 
Yep. FtB went full intersectional, terfed Benson, then a bunch of bloggers split off and formed THe Orbit, which rapidly decayed.

Oh, A+ luminary Great American Satan has a spot over at FtB
 
It's not really a leftwing thing. It's more like the soft white underbelly of the skeptic/rationalist movement that nobody wants to talk about (like that crazy uncle/aunt in the family) because they're all bat crap crazy.

Ha.
I've see it on facebook in non-skeptic/atheist/rationalist circles, too. A lot of the people who are like that are pagan, unitarian universalist and left-christian.

And then, of course, Richard Spencer is an atheist, and he's buddies with the religious KKK and wanna-be "respectable" religious neoconfederate crowd.

Sigh.
 
Last edited:
There's a number (I don't know it qualifies as "a lot" or whatever) of people on the internet who are or claim to be transwomen, who are real jerks and some say some really outrageously nutty things. They seem to operate in cliques and like dog-piling people over nothing. I'm not sure what all's going on there, but I guess it's safe to say they're probably psychologically broken in some way, and it results in attention-seeking, dramatic behavior.

So in other words, they just behave like people generally do on the internet?
 
So in other words, they just behave like people generally do on the internet?

Maybe. I've never encountered it before with that exact MO and to such and extreme, and I've been on the net since 2003, but maybe it is "everywhere" and I've just never noticed it before?
 
Maybe. I've never encountered it before with that exact MO and to such and extreme, and I've been on the net since 2003, but maybe it is "everywhere" and I've just never noticed it before?

I don't know, you may be correct. I'm just saying that people forming cliques and taking out their personal issues on others is not exactly a new internet thing.

It's hardly unique to the trans (fake or otherwise) community.
 
I don't know, you may be correct. I'm just saying that people forming cliques and taking out their personal issues on others is not exactly a new internet thing.

It's hardly unique to the trans (fake or otherwise) community.

I've only seen this specific thing on facebook, and pretty recently, where you're commenting on a friend's wall like always, and out of the blue over the course of 30 minutes 5 transwomen show up, frothing at the mouth with rage over some pretty benign position on a topic.
 
I've only seen this specific thing on facebook, and pretty recently, where you're commenting on a friend's wall like always, and out of the blue over the course of 30 minutes 5 transwomen show up, frothing at the mouth with rage over some pretty benign position on a topic.

I'm not on facebook, so I honestly don't know. But that does sound like something out of the ordinary though. I wonder what brought it on?
 
Last edited:
I love that video. :) The narrator seems really nice, and she's absolutely right about respecting people's dignity. I disagree with her about the difference between dogs and cats being purely semantic, tho.

Cats are objectively better than dogs. I'm just saying. :D
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom