No, probably not, but it's relevant to the point I'm making.
Which is what, exactly? I said that the mere fact that they raped someone (even multiple someones) is not enough to draw a conclusion about their mental state or level of empathy. Quibbling over the word "someone" is pointless.
Good!
So you don't "see any signs at all that they are sorry about anything other than being found out".
More precisely, I have no insight into how they feel or what they are thinking. In Weinstein's specific case, all I have is what has been publicly reported.
But still, I'm the one who is in the wrong.
It's not so much that you are "in the wrong." Your explanation is just too simple to suffice as explanation for a complex human behavior. Your view is correct for a certain portion of people; they are mentally ill, therefore their impulses to rape overcome what little empathy they have.
But that's only part of the story and it can't explain all rape. I assume that's why you asked your OP question, but I'm beginning to wonder.
You're like the guy with the invisible unicorn in his garage!
And you are like the guy with hammer; everything's a nail!
Give us proof that your chimera exists, that the world is full of compassionate rapists - on whatever "level"! I've heard of compassionate conservatives, but rapists? No, never. (And as for the former: I've heard of them, never met one.)
Pure straw. I have never mentioned a "compassionate rapist." But let me ask you a question: consider a regular average guy: no violent past, no antisocial behavior to speak of, no mental illness, average IQ, loves his wife and family . . . can that person commit rape?
No need to go back. It may not stop all those lacking in empathy, it only stops the ones who've got enough - and aren't too stupid or misled to see that the women they're having sex with are unwilling, nonconsensual victims of rape.
Hammer. Nail. For you, all people who commit rape just don't have enough empathy OR are stupid and misled.
No, surprise there, really. It's what the article says.
Please quote the article where it says anything about a threshold of empathy or being stupid or misled.

So now the distinction between repeat offenders and one-time-only rapists has become irrelevant? Why?
Don't dodge the question which I will expand for your benefit here. Is it your position that every person that has committed an act of rape is mentally ill? Is every person who commits multiple acts of rape mentally ill?
No, we've been through that several times already: People who lack empathy for people who rape members of their family and people who don't empathize with advocates of ethnic cleansing probably aren't mentally ill. (And you couldn't blame them for being depressed if they were!)
Think on that a bit. . . You agree that people who lack empathy for Nazis and rapists are probably not mentally ill (at least as it relates to their lack of empathy). Let's call this "situational callousness" as a shorthand. Now, people with this situational callousness think it's ok to hurt a nazi or a rapist (or a nazi rapist, presumably!) because they deserve it, right? Those are bad people and hurting them is therefore justified. Yet you agree they are not mentally ill, sociopathic or whatever you want to call it... Now, why can't a person who is a rapist also have this kind of situational callousness?
Why not? You acknowledge this kind of situational callousness in people who don't rape.
and for some reason not what the article says.
It does say it. You've quoted it repeatedly.
And again I ask you: What did these women do to deserve the lack of empathy from the rapists?
Objectively from our point of view? Absolutely nothing. Subjectively from the eyes of the rapist? Any number of perceived slights, insults, provocations, seductions, etc. You did want insight as per your OP, yes? If so, then I don't see how pointing out the obvious -women are not to blame for rape- is helpful.
I know what the rapists of family members did: They were rapists. I also know what the Nazis did. But what did these women do to the rapists that can compare with that?
You are approaching the question from the wrong side. The question should be (to keep it simple) "what do the rapists think these women did?" It doesn't matter if they are right or wrong in their thinking if you want insight into "what makes some people want to have sex with unwilling partners."
The people confronted with Nazis or rapists of their family were the two examples you invented to prove that people with empathy may not empathize with a particular person or group of people, so how does that compare with your invention of rapists with empathy who just happen to have "lower empathy for their victim"? What did these women do to deserved the contempt of the rapists?
You won't tell us because the whole stupid exercise is to come up with your imaginary conclusion that:
I won't tell you because I can't. I am not into the victim blaming game.
And what a wonderful paper it is: "histories of antisocial behavior that included other types of violence", the typical symptoms of sociopathy, but "Major mental illness was rare," and the child molesters usually weren't psychotic.
So thank you for proving my point again! Rapists are typically narcissists or sociopaths, not schizophrenics or mentally ill in any other way!
I see what you are saying. Sociopathy and narcissism, in your view, are not mental illnesses. OK, let's go with that, for arguments sake. Your invocation of labels such as sociopathy and narcissism seems like one of those "explanations that explains everything so explains nothing," kind of things that you have complained about in this thread. If your goal is "cognitive empathy" and understanding "what makes some people" rape, such labels don't seem helpful.
What makes some people want to have sex with unwilling partners? Sociopathy. Not very descriptive and way too simplistic -not to mention a misuse of the plain meaning of the word.
And could you please post a link to the post where I wrote that "all rapists are mentally ill"?! Your strawman doesn't get any better because you repeat it. That would be a nice touch, now that you are accusing me of strawman arguments.
Sure, just look at your previous paragraph.
You see where you use the word "sociopathy?" Sociopathy (see that -pathy at the end? That should be a clue.) is what psychiatrists now call Anti-Social Personality Disorder, which is indeed a major mental illness. You are apparently using it to mean something other than APD or mental illness, which is an incorrect usage of the word. I just assumed that when you use that word, you understand what you are saying. So it's not a strawman on my part; it's non-standard usage on your part.