No, I'm talking about having empathy in general but allowing a justification or rationalization to override that empathy in a particular case. You agree that this is possible in the scenario I described but you don't seem to agree that someone like Weinstein could force women to have sex with him while at the same time having some empathy for them. I mean, maybe he is a sociopath -I'm not ruling that out but at the same time it's possible to understand his behavior without involving mental illness.
The only thing I agree with is that, yes, a fairly normal person may become so enraged by having a member of his family raped or killed that he resorts to vigilante behavior. So, yes, somebody with normal empathy may, in a very special situation, treat a perpetrator without any empathy or compassion. But this example is pretty contrived if you compare it with the (apparent) repeat offender Weinstein. Nothing seems to indicate that these women had harmed him in any way that would make him long for revenge.
How have I done that exactly? Because that's a pretty weird interpretation of what I'm saying.You really do come up with some weird stuff . . . You are totally misinterpreting why I gave that scenario. The "imaginary rape" of my loved ones was presented to demonstrate a scenario in which a person who is not mentally ill can do something horrible to another human being. Mental illness is not a prerequisite to bad behavior -and make no mistake, dismembering someone who raped my loved one would be bad behavior.
I know why you "gave that scenario": You wanted to compare the Weinstein case(s) with an imaginary example that had absolutely nothing to do with his specific behavior, in order to make it seem likely that he's an ordinary, compassionate person. But the problem is that the two scenarios are totally different, so your imaginary one doesn't really make your attempt to equip him with (fictitious) empathy any more probable. It is just as contrived as your diabetic!
#1, that wasn't a direct quote of Weinstein (although it was based off of his public statement), it was an example of how he might rationalize what he did. Do you know whether or not he feels any guilt or remorse? You can't possibly know that because you can't read his mind and you aren't his therapist.
Sociopaths don't usually have therapists. They are not the ones who suffer most from their sociopathy. And they are able to come up with rationalizations without the aid of therapy.
So, by your logic there, if I commit suicide, I'm only hurting myself and not my wife and kids?
Once again your example is extremely contrived: Unless you're and total ******* that they're better off without, you're hurting your wife and kids if you get yourself run over and killed or seriously maimed by a car. When we are talking about sociopaths or psychopaths, intention is important: Did your father want to harm his family by smoking? Did he smoke in order to hurt them? Or was he misled by a combination of tobacco propaganda and his own addiction into thinking that it probably wouldn't hurt him (and consequently his family)?
I don't know why you want to commit suicide ...
Sociopaths are not a different species of human, you know. They are just like me and you, albeit with certain defects in their thinking processes. And the way they treat people does indeed cause them problems -that's the very definition of mental illness!
Man, this is futile! Has anybody in this thread claimed that sociopaths are "a different species of human"?! Not as far as I recall! Are you even familiar with the concept of the strawman argument?
They actually "are just like me and you" … if you neglect to consider the one thing that makes them sociopaths: "certain defects in their thinking processes." You can do the same exercise with everything and everybody: Billionaires, for instance, are just like you and me, albeit with stuff worth at least a billion dollars in their portfolio.
See how easy your little game is?! A billionaire is not a billionaire if you take away the thing that makes him one. The same thing goes for sociopaths, obviously.
And, no, that is not the definition of mental illness.
But "utterly devoid of empathy and compassion," in general? There's no evidence of that. That's what a sociopath is, someone who doesn't feel empathy for anyone but themselves. From your link:
I'm sorry, but even if he is fond of his dog, that wouldn't make him any less of a psycho.
Pretty goddamn callous and evidence that these other kids had no empathy for the victim either, no? Anyone who shared pictures, video, texts, tweets, etc about what this poor girl went through displayed an extreme lack of empathy for the victim. Are they all sociopaths? I don't think so.
If they knew and understood the case and still "had no empathy for the victim" and even "displayed an extreme lack of empathy for the victim," then they are psychopaths. I'm a little surprised that you seem to consider that kind of behavior normal!
(That psychopaths are able to find each other much more efficiently these days of the social media is no surprise.)
No. Not all sociopaths engage in bad behaviors. But you got one part right, bad behavior is not always sociopathic in nature. If you understand that, then I'm not sure why you think rape must always be sociopathic in nature.
Wow! Once again you are contradicting yourself blatantly! I thought that everybody engages in bad behaviors, and now you're telling us that some sociopaths don't?! I think that your diagnosis comes as a surprise to everybody, in particular, professional psychologists and psychiatrists, because that is one of the most absurd contradictions in terms I've ever come across: sociopaths who don't "engage in bad behaviors."
This is what happens when you stretch the concepts to the extent where they don't make any kind of sense anymore. I think that your line of reasoning goes like this: 1) rape is just another example of one of your favorite abstractions: "bad behavior", and 2) you may claim that everybody exhibits bad behavior, especially if you include all smokers and 'misbehaving' diabetics, and since 3) not all sociopaths rape, you conclude that not all sociopaths engage in bad behavior.
The irony here is that you are the one who has now excluded (some of) these guys from the rest of humanity, and only because you are so fond of them that you can't allow them to be criticized!
OK, so you DO understand that behaviors that hurt other people are not necessarily rooted in sociopathy or lack of empathy. If that's the case, then why do you think that rape is necessarily always due sociopathy?
Because unlike the diabetic and your father, they know that they are hurting people, and they don't care. Maybe you should tell your mother that story!
AHA! Now we get to the root of your confusion here. Sociopathy IS mental illness. If one is a sociopath, then that means one is, by definition, mentally ill.
You've only managed to demonstrate your own confusion.
If one's behavior is the result of mental illness, then that in itself explains the behavior. No need to cognitively empathize with something that makes no rational sense.
No, it doesn't. A schizophrenic, a borderliner and a manic-depressive go into a bar … to have beer. Most of the time these guys are in possession of a lot of rational sense. You, however, are inventing another crazy definition of mental illness that makes no sense at all.
Evidently, you make a distinction between a sociopath and a mentally ill person. There is no distinction and hence, your conclusions are all wrong.
There are many differences between different mental disorders. Look it up if you never heard! Sociopaths are as different from bipolars as from the rest of us. Again you seem to be unable to juggle the concept of abstractions.