How can you get that from what I said? I said that all humans behave badly and then rationalize such behavior. So you believe that all rapists suffer from anti-social personality disorder? Interesting. Wrong, but it does reveal a very naive and unrealistic worldview. I understand that it's easier to believe that only someone who pathologically lacks empathy or is otherwise mentally ill would ever rape someone, but this is just not the case.
I am saying that all humans rationalize bad behavior, mentally ill or not.
Maybe you don't remember what this thread is about, but the point was a discussion of what goes on in the head of somebody who abuses women (or men) sexually. For some reason you seem to be interested in a very different theme: rationalizations and justifications.
I've already pointed out the absurdity of this discussion in the
Men-behaving-badly post above, so please start another thread where you can discuss rationalizations and justifications because they are completely irrelevant here.
One can lack empathy without being mentally ill. This is normal human behavior; we lack empathy for those we see as not deserving of our empathy. I can tell you right now, I would have absolutely no empathy for someone who raped or murdered one of my loved ones. Or better put, I might have some basic human empathy for them, but if I were alone in a room with them it would not stop me from attempting to tear them apart limb by limb. I would probably feel remorse after but the deed would be done. I would then justify and rationalize it: he deserved it. This is no different from an otherwise normal person who, like Weinstein let's say, came of age in a culture and industry where sexual harassment was just the way things were done. He may very well have some empathy for his victims but rationalizes his behavior as "the way our industry works."
No, one can't
"lack empathy without being mentally ill" (depending on your definition of mental illness) and it is also not
"normal human behavior." It's sociopathic behavior. You are talking about not empathizing with a
particular human being in a
particular situation. Not the same thing.
You have already proven that you empathize with Weinstein. What I'd like to hear is the relevance of the imaginary rape of your loved ones to this discussion. Unless, of course, you mean to say that Weinstein abused his victims because they had raped members of his family. It would surprise me very much if that turned out to be the case, but please present us with the evidence.
You seem to be so compassionate about Weinstein that you even want to completely reverse the order of things in his case:
"He may very well have some empathy for his victims but rationalizes his behavior as "the way our industry works.""
If he felt empathy for his victims, he wouldn't coerce them into having sex with him, and then he wouldn't need to rationalize his behavior. As it is, he appears to have sexually abused a number of women, and now he
rationalizes his behavior as a very bad
excuse:
"This is the way our business has always worked. They want me because I'm powerful and even though they say "no" I know they really want to because women are attracted to power. They give me what I want and I give them what they want; win-win. Now the rules are different but how can I be expected to change at my age?"
No sign of empathy whatsoever. Instead he portrays himself as a victim of his
environment.
They hurt their families and society by being sick and dying young. You can argue my father was only hurting himself by being a smoker despite having heart disease but I can assure you, he hurt us too and he cost the veteran's health system a lot of money. His behavior hurt other people and yet he persisted? Why? Was he a sociopath in your view? I don't think so; he was just a normal guy who justified/rationalized his behavior.
Based on your description, he appears to have been a normal smoker. If he exposed you to the
risks of passive smoking and wasn't well-aware of the fact, there's no reason to assume that he was a sociopath. However, he may have been ill-informed by sociopaths in the
tobacco industry, who harmed him as well as you.
In any case, you are going to have to accept the fact that sociopaths are indeed just like everyone else albeit with a few deficits that cause them problems. Again, you don't have to be a sociopath to behave badly. Were all those kids, the perps and the ones who tweeted horrible things about the victim, in the Steubenville HS rape case sociopaths? I don't think so; maybe, but certainly not all of them.
Sociopaths are
not "just like everyone else" (that's why they've been identified as a particular segment of the population different from the rest of us) and their
"deficits", as you call them, sometimes don't
"cause them problems" at all - unlike most other mental disorders. Instead they cause
their victims a lot of problems.
The
rape case in Steubenville appears to have been committed by boys who were utterly devoid of empathy and compassion with their victim. I don't really see why you would want to include
"the ones who tweeted horrible things about the victims," but it's not unlikely that some of them were too. Others may have been mislead by the lies being told about the victim. They weren't there, they didn't witness the crime.
The evidence is mounting that you are just plain wrong.
My "favorite idea" is simply the truth. If you want to understand why "people want to have sex with unwilling 'partners'" then you all you have to understand is that people behave badly and then rationalize/justify.
You appear to be so fond of your delusion that it is impossible for you to give it up! You don't seem to be able to understand that sociopathy can always be described as
bad behavior, but bad behavior very rarely as sociopathy. In your father's case it wasn't even what people usually associate with the term
bad behavior, but rather a
bad habit, but please don't use it in your crusade to make each and every sociopath appear to be just one of us regular guys.
Your "favorite idea" seems to be that only a mentally ill person could possibly rape someone else. If that's the case, then you already understand why people want to have sex with unwilling victims; they are just mentally ill. I think that's an extremely naive view but if it makes you feel better then have at it. I prefer to see things a little more realistically: humans act badly towards each other for a wide variety of reasons inclusive and exclusive of mental illness.
I think that you are trying to slip in another one of your misleading generalizations, so just for the record: You're the one who prefers to call them
"mentally ill." I preferred it when you called them sociopaths. And there's also no such thing as
"just mentally ill."
(And yet again your 'human beings and their bad behavior.' Well, at least the candy-eating diabetic doesn't expose his children to passive mellitus …)
You are right, nobody has claimed that his crime was rationalization, including me! His crime was obviously sexual abuse. You started this thread because you claimed to want to know why people like him engage in sexual abuse. But you seem to have already made up your mind: they are just mentally ill. You seem unable to accept that people who aren't mentally ill can sexually abuse people and then rationalize/justify to assuage their feelings of guilt and remorse.
No, you're the one who has come up with the
"just mentally ill" diagnosis. And the problem with the guys that we're talking about isn't how they manage their
"feelings of guilt and remorse." In their case feelings of guilt and remorse would be an improvement! Much too late to really benefit their victims, but still an improvement.
(A hint: Somebody who blames society, the industry and age for his predatory tendencies probably doesn't feel any guilt or remorse at all! He's just annoyed at being
busted!)
You'll have to tell my mom, then, that she shouldn't feel hurt by the fact that she lost her husband and best friend at such a young age because he was only hurting himself.
Why the hell would I tell your mother a stupid thing like that?! Unlike you, I'm able to tell the difference between a rapist and your dad! You're the one who has been mislead by your own abstractions to the point where they seem to be one and the same thing to you!
Bad behavior, indeed!