• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

California mandates pet stores adopt rescues

Don't most pet stores do this already? PetSmart, Petco and the local chain I go to here in Florida don't sell dogs and cats. All have adoption groups in house who will help you adopt a pet. I've had to stop going to one store on weekends because the big sad eyes of the greyhound rescue dogs are wearing me down.
 
Don't most pet stores do this already? PetSmart, Petco and the local chain I go to here in Florida don't sell dogs and cats. All have adoption groups in house who will help you adopt a pet. I've had to stop going to one store on weekends because the big sad eyes of the greyhound rescue dogs are wearing me down.

PetSmart and PetCo are pretty good about hosting local dog rescues, and don't sell puppies of their own. Petland and similar chains, however, sell puppies from breeding mills.
 
I don't think there is anything wrong with breeding animals for pets, nor do I think there is anything wrong with selling them for a profit.

The problem is the mistreatment of animals.

If I ever have a large plot of land and the room/resources to do so, I will adopt a few rescues. Until then, I will continue to purchase the breed I want, from the breeder I want, so that I have a better idea what I am getting.

There are downsides to adopting rescues. Nobody ever seems to acknowledge this fact.ETA: For example, one of the most important things to do when adding a new pet to your home is to research your new pet's needs, tendencies and characteristics. How can you possibly do this with a dog of unknown ancestry? Just because the kid at the shelter tells you it is a lab-mix doesn't mean it is.

Second the highlighted. My daughter got a rescue lab, and he has been largely trained out of his bad habits, apart from one. He pulls vigorously on the leash, particularly if he see another dog. I can't walk him, and my much younger and stronger son-in-law (and cop) can barely handle him.

By comparison I got my beagle <---------- from a small scale breeder and he's been trained to be placid.
 
Nice to see you still with us, old timer. :) (Reports of your demise are doubtless exaggerated).
We bought our dog from a breeder.
 
Yeah like others I've... softened on the whole "ALL DOGS MUST BE FROM SHELTERS OR YOU ARE SATAN!" movement.

I'm being serious here people do get that "Shady back yard breeders and puppy mills" and "Rescue Animals" aren't the only options right? Reputable breeders and other sources of pets do exist.
 
Last edited:
The local Pet Smart stores (and I think a few other pet store chains) do the same thing here.... they have cats (and rarely dogs) on display, but they are from the local humane society. (This is up in Canada btw.)

Our Pet Smart is the same, only humane society dogs and they only take them there a few times a year when volunteers bring them in. I haven't seen a dog for sale in a pet store since the 1980s.
 
I'm being serious here people do get that "Shady back yard breeders and puppy mills" and "Rescue Animals" aren't the only options right? Reputable breeders and other sources of pets do exist.
There is one other problem with even 'reputable breeders'... many breeds of dogs/cats have been so inbred that they can have shorten lifespans and/or significant health problems. If you get a rescue animal, many times you will be getting a 'mutt', which usually has a better genetic base than purebreds.

(That's not so much a problem with the operation of the reputable breeder, but just of the animals they produce.)

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/health-of-purebred-vs-mixed-breed-dogs-the-data
 
As a vet nurse in the US, I've met as many "reputable" breeders as leprechauns.

I've seen plenty of terrible shelters too, but they are generally at least uneducated and sub-par people trying to solve a problem, not create new ones for everyone for profit/conformance fetishism.
 
Is this statement true? Or does it just mean that you can't get a genuine, certified, Labrador Retriever from your corner pet store?

As is so often the case, the news stories barely contain any information, and are presented as "these people like it but those people don't", which is pretty useless.

I'll bet that under this law, a pet store can still work directly with a dog breeder to provide dogs to their customers. They can just sell a "dog package", which consists of everything you need for a new puppy, and work with the dog breeder to arrange delivery if you are looking for a specific breed. I suspect the only thing disallowed under this system is the display of animals from some source other than a rescue center. It's not that you can't get a purebred from a breeder. It's just that the breeder can't put a dog into a pet store on consignment.

Of course, there's not enough information in the news articles to be sure of that, but that's what it appears to me.


.

You lose

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB485

(f)*For purposes of this section, a “rescue group” is an organization that is tax exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and that does not obtain animals from breeders or brokers for compensation.

Me, I would have predicted that this Bill WOULD be a restrictive CTRL-Left measure that would do exactly that.
 
You lose

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180AB485



Me, I would have predicted that this Bill WOULD be a restrictive CTRL-Left measure that would do exactly that.

I understand what constitutes a rescue animal. What I'm betting, though, is that the guy at the corner pet store can develop a relationship with a dog breeder, and when someone comes in looking for a pet dog of a particular breed they can still sell them everything they need for a dog, and then provide them a contact with a dog breeder to purchase the actual animal, perhaps with some sort of discount/kickback/incentive involved. That last part might get slightly shady under the new law.

Probably, the same person could even own the store and the breeding facility, and as long as they operated as two separate business entities, keeping separate taxes, I'll bet they would be fine.

What I'm saying is that the only thing the pet shop cannot do is actually display the dog in the shop, and I suppose cannot actually make the official sale of the dog. They can still arrange for people to get dogs, and possibly even profit from it, as long as it isn't a direct sale. In other words, I suspect that it is legal for a pet shop to sell pet supplies, and it is legal for a dog breeder to pay the pet shop a referral fee.



On the other hand, I wonder what the breeder can do. I assume breeding and selling dogs is still legal. I wonder if the breeder sells the new owner a leash whether that makes them a "pet shop".
 
Last edited:
Somewhere I read we're already importing rescued dogs from other countries because there aren't enough left in the USA to supply the demand.


Somewhere you read some bull that could be easily debunked by visiting any county animal shelter (dog pound) in the country by both looking at all of the dogs available and asking them to let you look into the freezer where they keep the corpses of surpluses dogs that have to be euthanized.

Then again you're quote could have been perfectly applicable if it was describing how people want specific types of dogs and not just any random "rescued dog".
 
I want to be able to purchase genetically superior and rarer breeds of animals because mixed mutts are beneath consideration.

Also, pit bulls should be genocided.
 
I've had one rescue cat (the sainted Rolfe, whom I rescued myself as his previous owners wanted him put down), one moggy from a litter of kittens born to a friend's cat, and one pedigree cat bought from a breeder who breeds a few litters every year for pin money and love of the breed.

They were all different. Rolfe was the best of them (well, Jori the pedigree is still alive and not two years old yet so that's a fluid situation), but the fact is you can't tell in advance.
 
This is a nice idea, but it doesn't go far enough if you are serious about animal rights.

Pet stores should be banned from selling live animals entirely. All pets should come from rescue centers and they should all be neutered before being adopted out.

:boxedin:

Its this thing called "compromise". We used to understand the importance of it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom