• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Dueling protests spark state of emergency in Virginia.

What scares me about the Trumpites is how they blindly praise and support ANYTHING that Dear Leader says.

Even if it contradicts the other things that Dear Leader has said.

In terms of slavish devotion to the Party Line, these guys make Stalinists look like amateurs.

What I don't understand is how such a devout cult of personality developed around such an incredibly ****** personality.
 
<snip>

The people depicted in the statues are being honored because they fought for slavery and engaged in treason which is defined only as waging war against the US or providing aid and comfort to an enemy. There's a huge difference between honoring someone in spite of their flaws and honoring someone because of their crimes.


If it is fair to claim they were actually being honored at all.

The memorials erected during Jim Crow and the ones similarly installed during the Civil Rights movement were not really done with any true intent to honor anyone. Their purpose was to intimidate, to reinforce awareness of white supremacy over a subjugated lesser class.

If the people defending these memorials had any real concern for the honor of the depictions they would be foremost in insisting that that they be moved to places less controversial.

That they do not is pure evidence that their motives are the same as the people who had them installed in the first place.
 
Even if it contradicts the other things that Dear Leader has said.

In terms of slavish devotion to the Party Line, these guys make Stalinists look like amateurs.

What I don't understand is how such a devout cult of personality developed around such an incredibly ****** personality.

They remind me of the scene in 1984 where the mob changes from Hating Euraisa to hating Eastasia at the drop of a hat......

of course that was Orwell's comment on the Stalinsit mentality.

The most incredible example of that was how Until June 21st, 1941, Communist worldwide were violently anti war and said that World War 2 was an Imperialist war,but on June 22, it became a heroic crusade against the evil Facists (which until June 21st Stalin had been doing everything to aid)...
 
Last edited:
Excellent post :thumbsup:

I would add one restriction on the will of the electorate, memorials in cemeteries for those buried within the cemetery and memorials in historic parks. No matter how many Massachusetts citizens want the Confederate memorial to the 13 officers who died while imprisoned at Fort Warren to ever be removed. I feel the same about the memorial in Arlington National Cemetery.


I don't.

The Arlington memorial was put in place by the very same hypocritical 'Lost Cause' apologists for the war, during the same era, for the same reasons.

It is no more deserving of respect than any of those others. Its location, far from earning it any right to special treatment, is an even more egregious insult exactly because of where it is.
 
I disagree. I employ healthcare workers and restaurant workers. Perception and public image is everything. If one of my employees was publicly outed as a Nazi, I'd have no choice but to let them go. I can't afford for my customers to find out that one of the people who is caring for them/serving their food probably wants to kick them out of their home or have them exterminated.

He has a right to free expression but not the right to be free from the consequences of that expression. One of the consequences is that I and my businesses will be associated with that expression. Unacceptable.


Not all that long ago having one of your employees outed as gay would probably have been far more damaging than having them outed as a Nazi.

I guess you'd have to boot them as well, for the same reasons.
 
I have a perfect constitutional right to go into my boss's office and call him a dirty SOB;that will not keep me from being fired.

Pretty clear that Darat wants a Nanny Government ...

According to Trump, it would be equally your fault and that of your boss.
 
...
I'm pretty sure if you asked them the reason they fought, slavery would not be high on the list. To say it was the only reason is simplistic and absurd.
I don't suppose you see the irony there?


History Net
Why They Fought
Men on both sides were inspired to fight by patriotism, state pride, the chance for adventure, steady pay. Union soldiers fought to preserve the Union; the common Confederate fought to defend his home. Later in the war, increasing numbers of Federal soldiers fought to abolish slavery, if for no other reason than to end the war quickly. Confederate soldiers sometimes fought because they feared Union victory would result in a society where black people were placed on an even footing with whites.

The majority of soldiers North and South had been farmers before the war.
If most Confederate soldiers were farmers, there's a good chance many owned slaves. In addition, just like after the war, there was an awful lot of racism and bigotry, which is what you would expect from people who enslaved another group of people. You have to dehumanize people to treat them as slaves.
 
Last edited:
Not all that long ago having one of your employees outed as gay would probably have been far more damaging than having them outed as a Nazi.

I guess you'd have to boot them as well, for the same reasons.

Back then? Maybe. That wasn't against the law at that point in time. But I do support the right of an employer to fire an employee for whatever reason they want. I myself wouldn't fire someone for being gay because I don't see anything at all wrong with being gay. If my customers didn't like that about me, I am ok losing their business. But back then, I may have lost my business (and run out of town) for taking such a stand. All depends on the zeitgeist at that particular place and time.

We have to fight to keep the protected classes of people very narrow. I would even advocate narrowing them further. If I know which businesses are run bigots, it's easier for me to avoid and speak out against those businesses. Social pressure is more powerful than government pressure.
 
When I seek to employ someone there are certain circumstances in which I can legally discriminate, having a political view different to my own is not one of them. I have employed many people that I later would find held opposing political views to my own. But that would never enter my head as a reason to not employ them, I want to employ people who can do the job I needed doing. And I assume the same is probably true for some people who have employed me over the years. My personal morality should have nothing to do with my hiring and firing people.

Perhaps my views on this have been coloured by the fact that most of my working life has been under the shadow of employers being able to sack me for no reason attached to my ability to do my job but I strongly believe that my right of freedom of expression should not be curtailed under threat of losing my job for legally expressing my views outside of work.
When the mob gathers outside the place of work, shouting " that's the guy who was calling us N*", and the boss and employees start getting negative reviews, or business drops off, they have every right to terminate your employment...
Otherwise, I would agree with you.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
 
(responding to Skeptic Ginger)

I think you helped make my point.

That being that Confederate soldiers fought for a variety of reasons.

Not just one - in defense of slavery - which had been proffered.
 
Last edited:
(responding to Skeptic Ginger)

I think you helped make my point.

That being that Confederate soldiers fought for a variety of reasons.

Not just one - in defense of slavery - which had been proffered.


This is just more of the same old, "The South didn't secede only because of slavery.", writ small.

No matter what their personal motives might have been at any given time, they were still there because they were representing the cause of the Confederacy, which was the preservation and perpetuation of negro chattel slavery, full stop.

Otherwise they wouldn't have been there, because there would have been no war for them to fight.
 
Last edited:
I don't even think it's a tactic. If you run a restaurant and one of your staff becomes locally well-known as a Nazi, then it's going to be far less welcoming to potential customers unless you do something about it.

If their job requires them to treat people equally and to be seen to be fair, they would have raised questions about that.

About the only job their publicly avowed beliefs wouldn't be a problem would be a limited subset of the most menial solitary jobs (any black colleagues would be justified in wondering if they were going to be victimised).

Sorry if I was unclear; by tactic I mean the Antifa crowd-sourcing photos and video of the rally to identify the Nazis. It's actually how the bike-lock professor (who never seems to be mentioned in any of the "Who is Antifa?" articles in the mainstream media) was identified.
 
Brilliant!

picture.php
 
Probably meant heel, as in "follow closely behind its owner."

Absolutely. Trump is saying that sometimes he needs to protest before the people in this country adequately learn their place and follow obediently behind him! They also need to learn to grovel and to whine his praises as they do so.

Trump has already shown repeatedly what he does to his pets (um staff) who don't heel. Don't make him yank your chain! Heel, boy, heel.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom