• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The Trump Presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be political suicide. Just like firing Comey weakened his political position, this would be tantamount to an admission of guilt and most likely obliterate his political position.

In a recent column (I can't find it now) Krugman argued that there is now no red-line for Republicans. He opined that there is basically nothing Trump can do that will cause House Republicans to bring Articles of Impeachment to the full House for consideration. On that I agree. However, if he fires Mueller, he may have effectively ended any ability he might have had to influence policy.
 
In a recent column (I can't find it now) Krugman argued that there is now no red-line for Republicans. He opined that there is basically nothing Trump can do that will cause House Republicans to bring Articles of Impeachment to the full House for consideration. On that I agree. However, if he fires Mueller, he may have effectively ended any ability he might have had to influence policy.

He could veto their "healthcare" bill (assuming it hits his desk).
 
I honestly believe that there are already plans by the Republican leadership to devise the best methods to erase all public memories and mentions of him as soon as he is gone. "Trump? No, I can't quite recall the name. Wan't he some reality show MC?"
All they have to do is dust off the "Bush 43" playbook and do a search and replace: Bush -> Trump.
 
And you don't have to get a command line to open it. If you want you can put it on your taskbar and leave it open if it's something you need to use frequently.

You don't need to go to the command line. I have it on my (highly customized) Start menu. One click and there it is.
 
In my mind the only way they can get one is if they field a candidate who understands how populist, hateful rhetoric combined with voter apathy helped Trump win and uses it as well, but is also actually a person with an ideological agenda. Such a man could be very dangerous indeed.
That man has a name: Pence.
 
The men of Tangier Island make a living catching crabs and oysters and with Trump's help, the day will come when they will be able to do so from the door steps of their homes.


Or maybe not, since Trump is against funding to preserve the health and viability of the Chesapeake Bay ecosystem.

There won't be enough oysters or crabs for them to make a living anyway.
 
Yep. If only because finances use numbers, not oral pledges of fealty. It will be pretty hard to argue the numbers are "fake news".


What on Earth makes you think that?

I have yet to see anything at all which Trump supporters will not argue is "fake news", no matter how perfectly documented or blatantly obvious it is.

They called Obama's larger Inauguration crowd "fake news".

See Kellyanne Conway's "alternative facts". If they don't like the way it makes Trump look, then they will cheerfully call it fake. It won't be hard for them at all.

And Trump voters will accept it as gospel.

They have to. Otherwise they have to admit to themselves just how badly they screwed up by helping to put the clown in the White House.

That ain't gonna happen.
 
The Australian prime minister, Malcolm Turnbull, has been recorded mimicking Donald Trump and joking about his poll numbers, his attacks on fake news and his alleged links to Russia.

Leaked video and audio of Turnbull’s off-the-record speech – which was also self-deprecating about his own poor opinion poll ratings – shows him impersonating the US president’s unique oratorical style.

In his speech to the Canberra press gallery’s Midwinter Ball, the Australian equivalent of the White House correspondents’ dinner, Turnbull says: “The Donald and I, we are winning and winning in the polls. We are winning so much, we are winning, we are winning like we have never won before. We are winning in the polls. We are, we are. Not the fake polls. Not the fake polls. They’re the ones we’re not winning in.

“We’re winning in the real polls.

“You know, the online polls. They are so easy to win. I know that. Did you know that? I kind of know that. They are so easy to win. I have this Russian guy.

“Believe me it’s true, it’s true.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...donald-trump-in-humorous-speech-to-press-ball

The world really is laughing...
 
This is a sad commentary on the Presidency President, but...

In his second (?) statement to the press about the shooting, Trump called Rep. Scalise "... a good friend, a really good friend."

And my first thought was... I don't believe you.

I can't help thinking Trump has probably never met the man outside of a group setting, and probably only once or twice at that. Likely didn't even know his name before today... just like the vast majority of the rest of us outside of either D.C. or his home district in Louisiana (of course, I could be wrong).

But it's Trumps demeanor, the constant bragging, the constant exaggerating that's at the heart of it... and I can't imagine the rest of the world seeing it as a good thing.

I can't imagine it was ever a plus in his business dealings either. :rolleyes:
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom