I think it has been mentioned before, but I think it is worth repeating. The number seven is important in judaism.
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/judaism-numbers/
(I am sorry for the missing parts. I assume it is pictures that have not been copied. /Hgus)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significance_of_numbers_in_Judaism
7: [/HILITE]
Agreed.
Then why not KEEP the "7"...why allow it to evolve and or change to 8 or 9, and become candles rather than lamps, and change its shape?
7- planets, days, toes on someone missing the piggy who had roast beef, none, and the one who wee'd all the way home. To some seven symbolized the 3 concentric circles of Atlantis, cut in half, and mistaken for a candle holder/lamp.
I think we can all agree, that the design of the light source in the holiest room in the temple is going to be deeply symbolic. I claim that it is much more likely that the source of the design lies in Judaism number tradition, rather then in adapting a symbol of a foreign city.
So that is my alternative theory: A design based on Jewish number symbolism.
Why do you think it is impossible for the priests, or god, did not point at a design of there own making?
Lamps or candle holders? 7, 8, or 9 flames?
Number symbolism? Why not gold symbolism, light symbolism?
It is ALL 'made up' symbolism...
No one KNOWS exactly what the menorah means or represents, or why lamps turned to candles? (*Let's bring Herman Melville into this!? lol)
My point is, that it was an adopted symbol, otherwise meaningless to the Jewish people. They have applied their own meaning(s).
What would a Nazi say the swastika represents?