godless dave
Great Dalmuti
- Joined
- Jul 25, 2007
- Messages
- 8,266
- It's a given. But H isn't.
Right, we're testing H against ~H.
And if the existence of your physical brain is a given, then P(E|H) is 1.
- It's a given. But H isn't.
No, it provides a ratio of likelihood that an event will occur under one hypothesis versus another hypothesis. In this case, a physical brain is a given in both H and ~H. H requires only a physical brain, whereas ~H requires that same physical brain plus "something more." You insist -- without evidence -- that the likelihood ratio in this case favors ~H when, in fact, it cannot.
As I said, you're still wallowing in the very basics of proper formulation. This isn't a matter of you being a master at Bayesian inference. You admitted you didn't understand it. This isn't a matter of Bayesian statistics being some magical, obscure branch of study that none of your critics knows about. This is a very simple and straightforward case of you not having the faintest clue what you're doing.
Don't pretend your critics cannot confidently see just how very and obviously wrong your argument is.
- It's a given. But H isn't.
But H follows almost directly from the premise of a physical brain without any further machination. If the physical brain is a given, then under H you have all you need to explain the self. Under ~H you have the brain, but you also need something else.
- I do think that there are (in a sense) potential selves -- so if there is no limited pool of potential selves, there must be (in a sense) an unlimited pool of potential selves.
Why do you think there is an infinite pool of selves?
Argumemnon,
- Keep in mind that I think there is an infinite pool of potential selves -- and also, that there is no limited pool of potential selves. If there is no limited pool of potential selves, each self is brand new -- and, there is no limit on brand new. They come out of nowhere...
- No, he didn't. He asked why I think there is an infinite pool of selves -- not potential selves.Argumemnon asked why you think that.
- New selves are being conceived every second. The ones conceived 10 seconds from now are currently potential.WHY do you think there are potential selves?
This is my question. Stop dodging it.
- New selves are being conceived every second. The ones conceived 10 seconds from now are currently potential.
- I think I forgot...
I do think that there are (in a sense) potential selves--
- No, he didn't. He asked why I think there is an infinite pool of selves -- not potential selves.
- New selves are being conceived every second. The ones conceived 10 seconds from now are currently potential.
- New selves are being conceived every second. The ones conceived 10 seconds from now are currently potential.
- New selves are being conceived every second. The ones conceived 10 seconds from now are currently potential.
- I think that I agree.And the Volkswagens that will be built 10 seconds from now are currently potential.
- Either two selves, or two potential selves.What about identical twins? Does the single fertilized egg actually contain two "selves"?
- Either two selves, or two potential selves.
- I think that I agree.
I think that I agree.
How does it know it needs two?